Etiquette, For Better or Worse....

Now I haven't been around long but apparently the way people want to fish trumps any previous understandings on the water. I had a bad experience with a gentlemen today that was upset because fish (tarpon) swam by me which was also in his line. The caveat, I was drifting and he was anchored. I drifted from the sand bar almost half way down the beach and NEVER got with in 200 yards of anyone. I stayed on my own line covering ground. As soon as I make a couple cast to the fish the guy jumps my ch1t. I had no idea he was barking at me until I asked. I responded poorly and made a huge mistake by engaging this man that was threatening me. In the age of the very broad "stand your ground" BS it could have gone very badly for me as this guy went to his console.... Ultimately he just called Fish and Wildlife. Yes, I bungled an attempt to talk smack and get a grown man understanding by getting my TM in his anchor. Embarrassing. However....

I, as I still see others do, am going to drift. I will also anchor. I will do my absolute best not to break any of the "laws" of tarpon fishing as I would not want anyone to do to me. If I do not do anything else right I will stay at least 150 yards away from any other boat that is tarpon fishing.  But if, and it's a rarity but it does happen, what I am doing is working better than what you are doing don't be mad. **** OFF!

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    I'm no expert but 200 yds seems like plenty of room. 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 997 Officer
    Etiquette (and common sense have been tossed aside by most) 
    thats a tough one. do not take it personally, but If he was anchored (or staked out) along the beach, best to avoid by using tm to go around.  On the rare occasion I anchored on the beach I would not be happy if someone goes over/thru my lines.  As i see it is your obligation  while underway to avoid other boats that are stationary.

Today had a capt. motor between us and beach (we were fishing less than 40 yrds from beach) into the direction fish were coming from.  All I could do today was a nice wave hello, out of respect for his clients and my two buddies.
    Last time I gave the FL hello (middle finger) to a jetski that buzzed me, he came back with 5 other buddies and circle me 3 times to shut us down. 

• C-HAWKC-HAWK Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Not worth it to get in a fight on the water. Inshore/Offshore it doesn't matter. There isn't much respect involved anymore. Fish weekdays and leave when people start coming too close.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 597 Officer
    "I bungled an attempt to talk smack and get a grown man understanding by getting my TM in his anchor. Embarrassing."

I'm trying to understand this.  You got your trolling motor tangled in the other guy's anchor line?

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation now part of Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/

Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,370 AG
    Trolling motors and anchor lines generally don't collide when you are 150 yards away.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    permit_me said:
    Today had a capt. motor between us and beach (we were fishing less than 40 yrds from beach) into the direction fish were coming from.  All I could do today was a nice wave hello, out of respect for his clients and my two buddies.
    Last time I gave the FL hello (middle finger) to a jetski that buzzed me, he came back with 5 other buddies and circle me 3 times to shut us down. 

I had 5 d-bags in a t-top do this to me on Wednesday. I had just stopped the boat on the edge of a no-boat zone on the edge of the beach. I motioned for them to go around around as I was clearly setting up to fish the piece of structure and they squeezed right between while driving THROUGH the no-boat zone.

Funny story - I was fishing a bass tournament a few years ago and we had just gotten setup in a cove where baitfish like to school up. We can usually catch several quick fish but hadn't had much luck for the first 5 minutes. All of a sudden a crappie fisherman comes motoring around the grassline and right through the cove right on top of what we were fishing. I was rather pissed and through my hands up as he drove through. I kept mouthing off under my breath until all of sudden we started catching fish. Him driving through the area had stirred up the baitfish and gotten the bass going. He actually helped us put fish in the livewell. I wasn't so mad once I realized what had happened. 
  • DelboyDelboy Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    if you are 200yds away from each other how did you have a shouting match over that distance? 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,153 AG
    edited June 8 #9
    Fishing near Bean Point sucks.  lol

In my opinion, people should never anchor in a pass and that place has become a madhouse.

My advice: Find someplace else to fish.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,382 Captain
    limitless said:
    "I bungled an attempt to talk smack and get a grown man understanding by getting my TM in his anchor. Embarrassing."

I'm trying to understand this.  You got your trolling motor tangled in the other guy's anchor line?

Delboy said:
    if you are 200yds away from each other how did you have a shouting match over that distance? 
    Trolling motors and anchor lines generally don't collide when you are 150 yards away.   
    When the confrontation started all I could tell was that he was yelling at me. Once I could make out some of what he was saying I moved closer. Once I could make out all of what he was saying I moved to with in reaching distance. My TM wasn't tangled in the anchor line rather it just drifted into it. Either way I should have ignored it. As far as fishing I wasn't in the wrong. Everything else was dumb on my part.

I was near Pass A Grille, not the Bean. Never have, never will fish there just to avoid this mess. I've pretty much had this particular spot to myself and a couple others during the week the past 3 years or so.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,153 AG
    Thanks for the correction.

I used to get uptight when people did things like that.  These days I generally just throw my arms up in the air and leave, particularly if the offender is an experienced fisherman.   While you can sometime educate the rookies out there, my experience is that most people who should know better simply don't care and don't react well no matter what you say or do.  It's simply not worth it to me, as there are plenty of places to find fish.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,406 Officer
    So many idiots and aholes on the water, you gotta just be willing to look past it.  Or spend your time perpetually frustrated. 
    I'll never forget my Dad coming home from fishing with friends one day.  Said a boat anchored right next to them, offshore, with no other boats around, and then asked what they were using for bait.  That was prob 30 years ago.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 8,180 Admiral
    It makes me wonder why some people even fish.  I fish to relax.  I give people a wide berth+ because I don't want people to have to think about me when they are trying to relax an have fun.  I think a lot of fishermen should quit and take up golf. 

Captain Todd Approves

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    We had a really big boat anchor right next to us 30 miles offshore.  Not another boat in sight.  I yapped at him a little and he said "you're on my spot".
  • DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    I just tell them all i have leased the whole gulf and they are lucky to be on my water