Home General Hunting

Gator prices

mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 344 Deckhand
edited May 2019 in General Hunting #1
Any info on how the prices are looking for this year? Hopefully better than last year...
You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,452 Captain
    im sure they will try to rip off the hunters again 
    living life as i like
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,584 Captain
    Processors had barrels of hides from 2 years back just sitting as of last year.
    Not saying someone won’t rip you off, I just don’t think it will be for the hide.

Have not heard this year what the prices are doing, Fortunately I don’t care, I’ll be fishing I guess 😎
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,540 Captain
    I doubt your ever see "good" money for wild hides again. There are plenty gator farms that can easily supply the demand, and grow nicer looking skins than a beat up old free ranging swamp bruiser that spent his entire life fighting for food, breeding, and hierarchy.  
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Non-guide amateurs better like staying up all night for zero profit plus a serious out of pocket cost whether diy or guided - did it a few times in the beginning but when hides went to $10 dollars a foot - that was the end for me and my associates.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,584 Captain

This has always been my profit.
    Expect more these days? Good luck CHUCK😘
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    50 a ft....lmao those were the days
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    High adventure all the time though - especially when choppy on Lake O on an airboat even if big and wide as mine was. 

gladesman said:
    High adventure all the time though - especially when choppy on Lake O on an airboat even if big and wide as mine was. 

well a certain buyer was trying to get all buys to come way down on there price last year . prices where low but not as low as they wanted all buyers to go to . rigging the market at its finest . 
    living life as i like
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,162 Admiral
    The history of "commodities" is that over time they decrease in value/cost. This holds true for everything from tea & sugar to cell phones and computers. 

With increases in the efficiency of the farms, and similar improvements in other countries producing crocodile or some other skin much like gator skin it's simply that we've transitioned from specialty market to commodities market on gator hides.

Got to get used to the fact that the "moment" has past and enjoy being out there.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,460 AG
    Ya'll actually hunt/fish with profit in mind? 
    Hell I thought it was an indulgence/hobby. I wrote it all off as a loss in advance a long time ago.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 833 Officer
    farm raised meat already trimmed and tenderized vacuum sealed frozen to your front door 6.50 lb      unless you got a bernie voter on the boat who,s paying 1000.00 for a night of gator hunting you aint making crap.  
  • huntsfloridahuntsflorida Posts: 378 Deckhand
    meateater said:
    farm raised meat already trimmed and tenderized vacuum sealed frozen to your front door 6.50 lb      unless you got a bernie voter on the boat who,s paying 1000.00 for a night of gator hunting you aint making crap.  

I assume you talking about meat from out of state?
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Everglades Adventures Inc.
    Alligators Inc.
    Alligators International LLC.
    www.huntsflorida.com
    South Florida's Finest Hunting Safari's for over 25 years for:
    Osceola Turkey, Alligator and Whitetail on over
    75,000 acres of South Florida's most private pristine ranches.

Alligator Processing in State Certified and Inspected Facility.
    Follow our clients results on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/EvergladesAdventures
    Our prices will be roughly the same as last year. The hide market has dropped even more this year but were going to try to keep it close. As soon as we figure it out I'll get it posted on here.
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Alligators Inc.
    www.huntsflorida.com

That's not really fair.
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Alligators Inc.
    www.huntsflorida.com

That's not really fair.
    was not talking about you guys . your the place i actually take my gators still .
    living life as i like
  • RedneckFshin'RedneckFshin' Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I didn't get any tags last season, but the season prior I sold an 11+ footer for $35/ft. Lucky enough to be awarded tags again this year, what pricing should I expect for gators over 10 ft?

That's not really fair.
    was not talking about you guys . your the place i actually take my gators still .
    What a great all american reply heitch :)
    I didn't get any tags last season, but the season prior I sold an 11+ footer for $35/ft. Lucky enough to be awarded tags again this year, what pricing should I expect for gators over 10 ft?

Prices should be around 18.00 to 24.00 10' plus.
    Capt. Mark Clemons
    Alligators Inc.
    www.huntsflorida.com

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Big players in the hide business have no desire for a wild hide.  The ability of the processors to move their hides are very little.  As a result most are having to base their prices on meat yield and cost associated for processing.

It is perfectly acceptable for people to worry about profit on the sale of their gators.  This is still a commercial license and not recreational.  The program needs to be reevaluated and see if it is time to move at least part of it to non commercial.  When that comes I will hope that the age restriction under 18 goes away or at least moves to 16 when they are no longer exempt from the agent fee.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
    The entire alligator program needs overhaul...far outdated
    And they need to add preference points

living life as i like
    again they should not be allowed to take eggs off public land
    living life as i like
  • NDTransplantNDTransplant Posts: 169 Deckhand
    edited June 2019 #25
    Florida is a prime example why commercial interests should not be allowed in the public domain.
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,010 Officer

No, they don't....Not sure if you do any of the western big game draw stuff, but preference points are not a long term solution.   It may be a way for you to eventuslly snag a coveted tag as long as you get in on the PP game on the front end, but after that you're never going to draw a great tag again. Considering the number of tags available and number of applicants getting into the draw each year, random draw is honestly your best bet over the long term.

I'd debate a Bonus point system (points are squared for more entries into the "hat" as opposed to straight preference), but there are plenty of concerns there as well.

Fact is, no system is perfect but if you look at this from a sheer opportunity perspective, with a chance every year at trophy unit tags, the alligator Lottery is definitely the way to go. 
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

No, they don't....Not sure if you do any of the western big game draw stuff, but preference points are not a long term solution.   It may be a way for you to eventuslly snag a coveted tag as long as you get in on the PP game on the front end, but after that you're never going to draw a great tag again. Considering the number of tags available and number of applicants getting into the draw each year, random draw is honestly your best bet over the long term.

I'd debate a Bonus point system (points are squared for more entries into the "hat" as opposed to straight preference), but there are plenty of concerns there as well.

Fact is, no system is perfect but if you look at this from a sheer opportunity perspective, with a chance every year at trophy unit tags, the alligator Lottery is definitely the way to go. +

Yes i hunt kansas and im not talking abot how you can pay for points. im talking how florida already does point system .
    living life as i like
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Years ago this process was started to promote an industry in FL and to curb some of the illegal activities.  It is no longer doing those objectives.  The majority of our resources is moved out of State and most all of the industry is controlled by a handful of people outside of FL.  What happens on our public waters egg and hatching collections has the least amount of oversight. 

There are farmers that are trying to make a living and employing people here in FL but they are the minority and the big players are trying hard to keep them from being successful.  

I agree that the entire program needs to be evaluated with new goals set. One that benefits all of the people of Florida more.   An external company EXUM was contracted by FWC  to evaluate the alligator programs and found that they needed to go back and develop a plan with a more broad group of interests.  FWC has been reluctant to do so.  They keep looking to modify the egg programs before they want to start an entire overview.  I welcome each interested party to email the commissioners and express your ideas and concerns.  At the end of the day few ever do.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,488 Captain
    bgeorge said:
    Years ago this process was started to promote an industry in FL and to curb some of the illegal activities.  It is no longer doing those objectives.  The majority of our resources is moved out of State and most all of the industry is controlled by a handful of people outside of FL.  What happens on our public waters egg and hatching collections has the least amount of oversight. 

There are farmers that are trying to make a living and employing people here in FL but they are the minority and the big players are trying hard to keep them from being successful.  

I agree that the entire program needs to be evaluated with new goals set. One that benefits all of the people of Florida more.   An external company EXUM was contracted by FWC  to evaluate the alligator programs and found that they needed to go back and develop a plan with a more broad group of interests.  FWC has been reluctant to do so.  They keep looking to modify the egg programs before they want to start an entire overview.  I welcome each interested party to email the commissioners and express your ideas and concerns.  At the end of the day few ever do.
    Not one word of this is surprising. Fwc pays for professional advice and doesn’t follow it because it doesn’t fit their agenda. 

One could assume corruption is involved but they read every word of the forum and then send in apologists. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,071 Captain
    Florida is a prime example why commercial interests should not be allowed in the public domain.

This whole state and everything in it has become one giant commercial interest over the past 30-50 years.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,071 Captain
    H20dad said:
    Not one word of this is surprising. Fwc pays for professional advice and doesn’t follow it because it doesn’t fit their agenda.  
    *See Bear study results and resulting conclusions regarding Bear hunt.