Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Two Newest Endangered Species - etc.

Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,968 Captain
On our trip to Apalachicola last month, we became aware of two new Endangered Species.

1. Speed Limits.   2. Turn signals.

The "default" speed on the Interstate Highways of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama was 80-85 mph. When the roads weren't clotted with tractor-trailers, cars flew by at what appeared to be 95. Changing lanes without signal, multiple idiots cut off cars like it was a video game. We escaped several potentially catastrophic incidents, so it's time for a change. Just for peace of mind, we'll have to try a different route, and take an extra day.

Glad to see that Apalachicola recovered from the storm as well as it has.
( Though a few long-time waterfront institutions might be history. )
Good food, quirky shopping, and the street-level brewery, have all returned.

The fishing, however, was our worst ever.
After weeks with winds out of the South, the SGI waters were messy, at best.
The calendar didn't help ... early morning and sundown were both dead low tide.
There's no nice way to say "skunked" but that's what happened, plain and simple.
The crabs were big Fishbite fans, and they cleaned our hooks like champs.
At midday, with high water, we tried spoons and other artificials to no avail.

So, ... no fish photos this time ... just a landscape or two.

Replies

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    edited June 2019 #2
    Wow! 
    Yes, take the back roads and avoid the white knuckles.
    It is sad that these are the drivers on the road today.
    No respect for their lives, nor the drivers around them.
    It’ ain’t no wonder Insurance rates are skyrocketing.
    It’s like they just pay in and expect a pay out!
    ”No worries, the insurance company will take care of it,
    and the lawyers?”
    i cain’t believe it.
    Then they use the comp.
    warranty Roadside coverage to call a tow truck.
    If these actions were an Out-of-Pocket cost, we would see a better driving experience.
    For sure!
    God, save the South!
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    edited June 2019 #3
    I had a 2005 Cadillac CTS call today.
    All 4 tires flat, says the client hit a curb.
    Call the client,  “The car is unattended, I left the key in the center console.” 
    WTH? You took the illegals and ran?...
    We cover that?
    On*, We cover that!
    Tow it to the tire shop.
    God, save the South!
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Fishing was good in the bay yesterday. Caught a 32lb drum and my son got a 11 lb triple tail. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,520 Moderator
    tapate said:
    Fishing was good in the bay yesterday. Caught a 32lb drum and my son got a 11 lb triple tail. 
    Those are some nice fish.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Specs and drum are biting off the beach too
  • GANDERGANDER Posts: 393 Deckhand
    I-65 on spring break can be super crazy! Hated how “slow” 231 was the first couple trips down. Now it’s a nice ride through pretty country, even with all the city traffic. Still trying to convince my wife we don’t have to rush down to SGI—take in a little more scenery... ain’t gonna happen for a while yet!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,386 AG
    I made two trips to Wingo Ky to buy bird dogs.

1st was I75 to Murfreesboro then next day north and west to Wingo, not to bad but really didn't like thru Atlanta.

2nd trip I went 19 to I10 then (I forget #) thru Dothan to Montgomery the I65...
    Nice ride until I65..
    Ain't no way in hades I will ever drive I65 again... Never.

Came back 75 thru Atlanta, was a breeze.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ebryantebryant Posts: 47 Deckhand
    US27 from Calhoun Ga. to Bainbridge Ga. has very little traffic.  
  • ebryantebryant Posts: 47 Deckhand
    4.75 hours to Eastpoint from LaGrange, Ga.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,968 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I made two trips to Wingo Ky to buy bird dogs.

1st was I75 to Murfreesboro then next day north and west to Wingo, not to bad but really didn't like thru Atlanta.

2nd trip I went 19 to I10 then (I forget #) thru Dothan to Montgomery the I65...
    Nice ride until I65..
    Ain't no way in hades I will ever drive I65 again... Never.

Came back 75 thru Atlanta, was a breeze.
    I-75 isn't too bad, though all the trucks circling around Atlanta can be trouble, especially for AM & PM rush hour.

Our biggest issue there is one of obligation ... do we stop to visit relatives or not?

Going through the hills near Chatanooga is no picnic either, especially with a trailer.

Checked out a possible route through Memphis & Jackson, then down to Pensacola.

From there it's a choice of the "scenic route" on 98 or I-10 East ... .

We have until Fall to figure it  out.

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,522 Captain
    We have experienced the mayhem that is the Interstate system many times.
    Our favoured North/South routes are US19 , 27 or 231, whichever is appropriate. You actually get to see some nice countryside, eating/shopping places that way.
    The only time speed becomes an issue is if you are in a hurry. There are more Police sitting along these roads ( I think the eating places attract them) than you will ever see on an Interstate.

• cc13cc13 Posts: 548 Officer
    Columbus, Anniston, Gadsden, South Pittsburg, Dickson ten., Clarksville ten., a pretty drive that misses Montgomery, bham, Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville. And you don’t sacrifice too much time.
    cc13 said:
    Columbus, Anniston, Gadsden, South Pittsburg, Dickson ten., Clarksville ten., a pretty drive that misses Montgomery, bham, Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville. And you don’t sacrifice too much time.
    All we'd miss between Birmingham and Montgomery are the hotels off Exit 246, and the fine Mexican restaurant "Margarita Grill" just a few steps away. Nothing like a great Margarita to insure a great nights sleep.

Our prospective route for the Fall will go straight South from St. Louis on I-55 through Memphis, to Jackson, MS. Then on US 49 through Hattiesburg and pick up US 98 to Mobile and I-10 to Pensacola / Gulf Breeze for a few days, then fish our way accross the Panhandle on US-98 all the way to Apalachicola. 

• cc13cc13 Posts: 548 Officer
    Do you live in St. Louis?  My daughter is looking for an apartment there right now so she can start school in August?  

Also, St. Louis to Paducah then pick up my route above is a good drive, if you want to come out directly in Apalach/Carrabelle.
    Yes, we live in St. Louis.

If your daughter is attending Washington University, the school has it's own rental agency.

That's probably the best place for her to start.

• FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,130 Captain
    edited June 2019 #17
    Nick,
    My family lived in Ashland for a while in the early 70s.  I haven't been back but once since then.  Used to drive to see either the Cardinals or the Royals play once in a while.  I can remember HATING the trip as a youngster when we'd come to Georgia or Florida to see relatives. 
    Proverbs 13:3