Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Atlantic Snapper Season - State vs Federal

siconicsiconic Daytona BeachPosts: 30 Deckhand
I am waiting on FWC to get back to me, but the initial rep was not very helpful, she was just citing what I had already read. I have googled, combed MyFWC, NOAA, and any other site I can find, but still come up with the following:

According to myfwc, there is no season in state waters and state waters are defined as 0 - 3 miles. This would indicate that snapper season is open all year round, in Atlantic state waters. There is a Federal season, 2 weekends in July, on MyFWC and on NOAA. NOAA website states that Federal rules ONLY apply to waters from 3 miles - 200 miles. ALL of my friends are under the impression, they cannot catch snapper in ANY part of the Atlantic (In central Florida) until federal season opens. This appears to be a clear contradiction, from everything I have read. Are they wrong, or am I?

Opinions, fact, anything is welcome!

Replies