Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Paging John McKroid

SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
I am thinking about trying a drift of two myself. What leader material are you using and what size hooks. One of my buddies here does that here as well for kings and an occasional bft and dolphin. Those pictures of yours got me thinkin, and that is dangerous by the way!
Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,988 Captain
    Spineyman said:
    I am thinking about trying a drift of two myself. What leader material are you using and what size hooks. One of my buddies here does that here as well for kings and an occasional bft and dolphin. Those pictures of yours got me thinkin, and that is dangerous by the way!
    Hola Spineyman,

Greetings from Cali, Colombia.  Down here for a while for medical reasons, but luckily brought a laptop and have internet, so able to reply.

On my surface rig, I was using a 30lb fluoro leader attached to a 30lb king mackerel stinger rig, similar to the rigs made by this link. (I tie my own using 4/0 single hook and #4 treble on a naked rig for goggle eyes)
    http://kingmactak.com/custom-live-bait-rig/
     For my deeper line, I do the same, but use 40lb fluoro and stinger rig.  Right now is the best time of the year for this kind of drift with the wind and too much current being the main obstacles.   My vertical jig rig was 30lb braid with 40lb Flouro, but if I had to do it over, would have ramped it up to 40lb braid with 50lb fluoro.  It is key to have low light for the Blackfin on bait, the kings tend to bite anytime once you find them.  Blackfins jigging deep can be summoned up all day also, once you find them.  Had I been on the Pro Angler, the drift would have been an upgraded version of this...prior years drift during mid-May -- vertical jigging accounted for more than half this catch.
    IMHO, it's not dangerous if you have some offshore experience.  My greatest concerns are strong West wind and getting hit by a derelict boater.  The boaters are primarily a concern off Ft. Lauderdale and Pompano Bch.  Traffic is lighter up Nth.  My kayak has a VHF with DSC, and a PLB for safety.  Good luck with your venture!  
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    Thanks for the response. I am very leary up here out of Destin. There are tourists with the money to buy anything but not the sense to get it off the trailer. Add to that the boat traffic here in the summer months and well just call me not exactly sure about this offshore thing up here. I have had an offshore boat most of my life so experience is not a problem, but dodging a boat in a kayak is! I am mulling it over for sure, and think it would be awesome.
          Thanks!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.