Pork Belly anyone?

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,261 Officer
Just filled the cut sheet for this years pig that my boys raised.
I have a really good processor and everything comes back perfect. The only thing is , I do not care for their smoking process on the bacon. SOoo... Getting belly slabs cut in thirds, fresh. We will use most to cut with deer sausage and may try curing/ smoking some myself. Anyway, somebody have a good braised or other belly recipe?
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• lmbrjacklmbrjack old townPosts: 20 Greenhorn
    I soak in brine 1/3 cup canning salt 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tlb.red pepper 1 guart water soak in brine 7 days for every 1 inch thick 14 days for 2 inches so on I have little chief smoker smoking for:1 hour with hickory is long enough for me the trick is take out of Brin let set on rack in frig. 24 hours before you smoke brine in frig also i brine in ziplock bag roll over every day 
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 211 Deckhand
    lmbrjack said:
    I soak in brine 1/3 cup canning salt 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tlb.red pepper 1 guart water soak in brine 7 days for every 1 inch thick 14 days for 2 inches so on I have little chief smoker smoking for:1 hour with hickory is long enough for me the trick is take out of Brin let set on rack in frig. 24 hours before you smoke brine in frig also i brine in ziplock bag roll over every day 
    Sound about right. For curing ham I use salt, brown sugar and a few spoons of pink salt and I have a sealed tub to put them in and soak min 10 days. keeping the meat below the water is a must.

Now I made bacon but have not smoked it and I wonder how much that will change the way it cooks, texture and taste.  You could probably find older post on curing bacon and curing pork. I posted this info lots of times I process all my own wild to domestics. There is a cut I seen in Latin restaurants, I want to make out of one of my pigs. They slice right thru the hog so your have the strap the rib and the belie on one Fred Flintstone looking chop with skin on about 1 to 1.5 inches thick. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,261 Officer
    Thanks TT, I actually remembered that post but didn’t go looking.
     I’ll start pondering some on that.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 430 Deckhand
    go over to pensacola fishing forum and look up Chili Releno's recipe in the cooking section. it's pretty good. he makes cracklin with the fat and a pulled pork type thing with the meat.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,549 Captain
    pork belly= chicharon

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

After many hours of reading and making notes, I have 5# of bacon dry curing.
    Next batch will be a wet cure.
     I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Maple sugar/ black pepper.
    Cold smoked as low as I could get it( 105-110 degrees) for 5 hours. Best I could do in this heat. Apple wood for the smoke. It’s yummy
    Looks awesome.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 624 Officer
    Dunno if you still have any left, but smoked pork belly burnt ends are spectacular BBQ. I like this recipe:

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    bigfinn35 said:
    Dunno if you still have any left, but smoked pork belly burnt ends are spectacular BBQ. I like this recipe:

I want to try this. Where is the best place to buy pork belly?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 624 Officer
    james 14 said:
    bigfinn35 said:

Best to support a local butcher if you can. If that's not feasible, call your local Publix or other major store and see if they receive any, as not all do. They'll hold a slab for you if you ask.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    I just cooked a belie sliced in 1/2 inch thick strips till crispy. served it with cucumber slices and tomatoes. Was the best deconstructed BLT sandwich without the bread. Had some mayo to dip in like dressing with salt and pepper. Fits right into the keto diet. 
    james 14 said:
    bigfinn35 said:

you can do this with boneless shoulder or they call them country ribs. 

4WARD said:

what type of slicer do you have or was this by hand. I thinking of getting a new slicer for my personal processing. The cheap home ones don't cut it.
    4WARD said:

what type of slicer do you have or was this by hand. I thinking of getting a new slicer for my personal processing. The cheap home ones don't cut it.
    It’s a cheap one, not only did I make it cry for mercy it was flat out dangerous.
    Was looking at Besman250? Just a few notches above at 3 times the price. I have my eyes out for a used true commercial model, if I can find a decent one for under 500 I’ll snatch it up.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,990 Moderator
    james 14 said:
    bigfinn35 said:

I've done something similar but I'm mainly looking for the fat content in the pork belly. When that fat and rub come together to make a good bark it's about the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,483 Admiral
    go over to pensacola fishing forum and look up Chili Releno's recipe in the cooking section. it's pretty good. he makes cracklin with the fat and a pulled pork type thing with the meat.
    That man can sure do some cooking.
    stc1993 said:
    That man can sure do some cooking.
    I’ll look that up, when I recover.
    Just cooked 2 packs of bacon and fried some lightly dusted shrimp in the grease.
    PO Boys with my special remoulade.
    Key lime pie next up.

Ted , that looks like a nice machine. Good price for a 12”
    james 14 said:
    james 14 said:
    bigfinn35 said:

I've done something similar but I'm mainly looking for the fat content in the pork belly. When that fat and rub come together to make a good bark it's about the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.
     I know. some times pork bellie, cucumber, tomatoes, salt, pepper and mayo as salid dressing. best BLT without the bun.

james 14 said:
    james 14 said:
    bigfinn35 said:

You have not seen one of my home raised pigs.  Corn fatens them at the end.