Home General Fishing

ez throw cast nets

badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
  are these  type of cast easier to throw then a regular cast net.  iam not to good with a cast net.  what a good brand of cast net.  mine is a Walmart one.   thanks

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    How much have you practiced throwing a net?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,736 Captain
    ^this. No matter the net, ur gonna have to practice
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
    I  try it over an hour today    ,iam 60 and shoulder not in good shape. only throw it  good about 1 out of 3 times.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,736 Captain
    edited May 2019 #5
    Shoot, I'm 43 and I wouldn't want to throw a net for an hour. That'd kick my butt.  1 outta 3 aint bad, but an hour's prob too much practice. You end up reinforcing bad technique once you're fatigued.  Throw it maybe 5-10 times a day, max.  You'll get it. 

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • no slackno slack Posts: 376 Deckhand
    Definitely need to practice but the absolute easiest net to throw is the 8' hi tider.  
    If you haven't, try the triple load method... I use a few different techniques to throw and the triple load is by far the most consistent and it was the easiest to learn for me.  
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    How big is your net?  What do you want to catch?

There are some good videos on how to throw nets and usually it is a teenaged girl tossing a 10-12 ft net so we can feel "bad".  Helps to understand that it is form and not strength.

I throw a cheap 5 ft net .  Mainly get mullet, mud minnows, pinfish.  Have gotten pogies at 40 feet with it too but think a sabiki is better for the pogies, sardines, and herring.  I think the sabiki snags the pogies but it works for me.

I'm only interested in getting enough for 2 folks to fish with so not trying to load a livewell to the brim.

Also have an 8 ft net but need to put sometime into it as I saw a video a fellow put out where it looks real easy - bought the net last year but boat motor isn't running right on larger boat so haven't tried the new technique yet.
    When you practice, do it on a nice lawn.  It's much easier than practicing in water.
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 605 Officer
    I made this video to help those that have bought their net but are having a problem "gettting" it.  Pretty much similar stuff as mentioned above and a few more that I learned while getting my cast net groove on.  You can skip right to the 9 tips at 3:22 mark.

Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • SaltyLocalSaltyLocal ClearwaterPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    I'm looking for my first net and it'll solely be used for bait on beaches or jetties.From research, it looks like I'd be wanting at least an 8' 3/8" or 1/4" net. Any idea of weight/foot needed for beach/jetty bait? Usually 2"-8" mullet, pinfish, pilchards, greenbacks, etc.
  • SaltyLocalSaltyLocal ClearwaterPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    Any particular brand that don't cost more than $100?
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 928 Officer
    I wouldn't want to use an expensive net off a jetty. I have torn up a couple snagging them on rocks off a jetty

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Get a cheap 3/8 inch 6 ft net from walmart - learn how to throw it, you'll see that it is more than enough for bait off a beach or jetty.  When you wrap it around a rock, you won't cry cause you lost/damaged a $200-$300 net.

If the 6 ft net is good, then stick with it.  If you feel it is too small, then get a bigger one.  No reason to buy an expensive net to throw off the beach for bait.
  • badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
    iam getting the hang of it  thanks     I throw  it ten times a day