Home General Freshwater Fishing

Bass spawning depth question

Just got a place in Georgia and it has a 4-5 acre pond.  It was dug about 40 years ago for the farmer to fish and irrigate his field. It's 20' in the middle and the banks drop real quick.  There are woods around 80 perxcent with lots of limbs hanging in the water but the only grass is at one end where the bank slopes alittle.  My question is will the bass and brim bed in the deep water if the banks for the majority of the pond are  six foot deep?

Replies

• FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    no slack said:
    Just got a place in Georgia and it has a 4-5 acre pond.  It was dug about 40 years ago for the farmer to fish and irrigate his field. It's 20' in the middle and the banks drop real quick.  There are woods around 80 perxcent with lots of limbs hanging in the water but the only grass is at one end where the bank slopes alittle.  My question is will the bass and brim bed in the deep water if the banks for the majority of the pond are  six foot deep?
    Bass have no problem spawning in 6 ft. I’d target the limbs hanging in the water if your bed fishing.
  • mdp2146mdp2146 SCPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Check out the Pond Boss on facebook or youtube. Bob Lusk is a 40 year exp. pond management guy who is super helpful and gives free advise to anyone interested. He does a facebook live show every Wednesday night and will answer questions as they come in. If you are serious about improving a pond or lake you fish in, you really should check it out.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    My canal slopes sharply and I still have bass beds in there....can barely see them sometimes. Its 8 feet in the middle and up to my chest 4 feet from the bank. My thought is, they gotta reproduce somehow 
  • Nick_BrutonNick_Bruton Posts: 36 Deckhand
    They will spawn wherever the bottom is best I would think. Depending on the lake, I catch bass off beds in anything from 3-20ft of water. Nothing like cruising through a lake with 20ft visibility and seeing the bottom look like Swiss cheese with sandy beds.