Home Off Topic

Here comes another Florida immigrant invasion….

Replies

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Here are a few:  Hire more border patrol agents, deploy more technology, and hire more immigration judges.  You know, so we don't have to house (or ship anyone).  Those obvious solutions aren't all that difficult nor divisive -- which is precisely why they aren't being talked about by those who would rather divide than lead, and troll rather than fix.

What's your solution?
    Seize the assets of those Central America countries and Mexico for the costs of dealing with this invasion. And also seize the bank accounts of those politicians. And cut off all foreign aid. 
     Money talks. 
    ,The Daily Mail has been widely criticised for its unreliability, as well as printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research,[12][13][14][15][16] and for copyright violations.[17]
    This is from YOUR reliable news source. 
    https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/711850056/fake-documents-a-growing-problem-among-migrants-crossing-u-s-mexico-border

You can find numerous other stories if you would take off your blindfold. 
    And there is this,
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-drug-gangs-using-more-children-as-mules/

Yet there are many here who want this culture to come into our country. 
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    ,The Daily Mail has been widely criticised for its unreliability, as well as printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research,[12][13][14][15][16] and for copyright violations.[17]

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,529 AG
    https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/711850056/fake-documents-a-growing-problem-among-migrants-crossing-u-s-mexico-border

.5% is a lot less then one third. I don't doubt fake documents and false claims are an issue. but the Daily Mail has a tendency to over exaggerate the numbers a lot of times to sensationalize a story. It tends to diminish their reliability as a news organization. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,073 AG

Could you point out where it said anything about DNA  testing in that article, unless you think the "D" stands for documents 
    TYIA
    cadman said:

.5% is a lot less then one third. I don't doubt fake documents and false claims are an issue. but the Daily Mail has a tendency to over exaggerate the numbers a lot of times to sensationalize a story. It tends to diminish their reliability as a news organization. 
    So your saying that .5 percent is good?
     5 children being sexually or physically abused is preferable than 10?
      I'm sure you don’t think that. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,115 AG
    Gary S said:
    Here are a few:  Hire more border patrol agents, deploy more technology, and hire more immigration judges.  You know, so we don't have to house (or ship anyone).  Those obvious solutions aren't all that difficult nor divisive -- which is precisely why they aren't being talked about by those who would rather divide than lead, and troll rather than fix.

What's your solution?
    Everyone wants more agents,technology and immigration judges. But we also want the wall that was talked about and promised long before current administration came on board.
    So why not just settle on the pieces that everyone agrees on rather than rail over and over about a divisive wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for?
    Gary S said:

What's your solution?
    Everyone wants more agents,technology and immigration judges. But we also want the wall that was talked about and promised long before current administration came on board.
    So why not just settle on the pieces that everyone agrees on rather than rail over and over about a divisive wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for?
    And what would those pieces be?
    edited May 2019 #131
    spangler said:
    "Illegal immigration to Singapore. Singapore is an attractive destination due to its high living standards and wages. The punishment for illegal immigration in the country are a mandatory caning sentence of not less than 3 strokes and a prison sentence. Illegal immigration has been steadily declining from 2001 to 2011."

They don't play in Singapore.

However your point is a good one.  Stronger enforcement should be part of our solution, even if caning is a bit over the top.  More to the point, and as suggested above, we should hire more border patrol agents and INS agents to enforce the laws on the books, and judges to adjudicate the cases.

Singapore also has no borders outside a causeway connecting it with Malaysia.  They also have a much more extensive visa program and have a huge amount of expats working there.  You probably wouldn't like their taxes, their socialized medicine and housing programs, nor their lack of press freedom and the large muslim population, but who's counting.

It's a great place though.  Have you been there?

What's your solution?
    Seize the assets of those Central America countries and Mexico for the costs of dealing with this invasion. And also seize the bank accounts of those politicians. And cut off all foreign aid. 
     Money talks. 
    Seize a country's assets because people are fleeing their countries for a better life and applying for asylum as is their right under our laws?  Cut off the foreign aid to those countries so the situation that precipitated them coming here gets even worse?

Although they are rather unworkable and counterproductive in my eyes, those are certainly two solutions to consider, and thank you for offering them.
    edited May 2019 #133
    Gary S said:

What's your solution?
    You quoted them already:

"Everyone wants more agents,technology and immigration judges."
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,073 AG
    edited May 2019 #134
    cadman said:

Where did abuse become part of the discussion?

What does that have to do with this conversation? 

Mini Mart Magnate

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    edited May 2019 #136
    spangler said:
    "Illegal immigration to Singapore. Singapore is an attractive destination due to its high living standards and wages. The punishment for illegal immigration in the country are a mandatory caning sentence of not less than 3 strokes and a prison sentence. Illegal immigration has been steadily declining from 2001 to 2011."

However your point is a good one.  Stronger enforcement should be part of our solution, even if caning is a bit over the top.  More to the point, and as suggested above, we should hire more border patrol agents and INS agents to enforce the laws on the books, and judges to adjudicate the cases.

Singapore also has no borders outside a causeway connecting it with Malaysia.  They also have a much more extensive visa program and have a huge amount of expats working there.  You probably wouldn't like their taxes, their socialized medicine and housing programs, nor their lack of press freedom and the large muslim population, but who's counting.

Haven't been yet but it's on the short list.  A friend just got back and it reminded me that they use the cane.  And then I thought, I wonder how they handle illegal immigration and googled it.  Yup, cane.
    I'm glad you got my point and didn't think I was suggesting actually caning people here.  Most of the time, I've noticed people like putting words in others mouths around here.
    I don't think a a wall would be effective at all and would be a waste of money.  But I do think something needs to be done.  Just like many other countries around the world have realized, we can't just take anyone and everyone that wants to move here.  I wish it wasn't so.  One of the things that is great about the US is that it is a melting pot and I believe diversity is an asset.  Traveling around the world really opens your eyes to this bc most nations are fairly homogeneous.  But population growth is a real issue and something we have to deal with.
    I also believe we make it too easy for those wanting to enter to try.  What's to lose?  We should have better deterrents and more enforcement.
    But, I also think separating kids from their families is a disgrace and actually makes me quite embarrassed.  I'd go for caning (adults) before I'd support that.  Sick.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,125 AG
    You don't catch all the fish in the river with a cast net.  You catch them all by damming the river and then throwing a cast net.   

Or just throw dynamite in the river.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    cadman said:
    cadman said:

Your kidding?
    let an American citizen put one of their kids through what these invaders are doing to their kids and see what happens. 
    edited May 2019 #139
    Gary S said:

What's your solution?
    You quoted them already:

"Everyone wants more agents,technology and immigration judges."
    Also the military (like it was before World War Two), security fences and yes, walls(just like what surrounds your house and neighborhood) and detention camps with a runway to transport the detainees back to their home country. Thus the reason to seize the assets of said political leaders. 
    edited May 2019 #140
    cadman said:
    cadman said:

Your kidding?
    let an American citizen put one of their kids through what these invaders are doing to their kids and see what happens. 
    What are they doing to their kids? Taking them from a life of violence and trying to bring them to America. They may be breaking our laws and I agree we can't let them in, but all these people are doing is leaving a bad situation and trying to find a better one. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited May 2019 #141
    spangler said:
    spangler said:

Haven't been yet but it's on the short list.  A friend just got back and it reminded me that they use the cane.  And then I thought, I wonder how they handle illegal immigration and googled it.  Yup, cane.
    I'm glad you got my point and didn't think I was suggesting actually caning people here.  Most of the time, I've noticed people like putting words in others mouths around here.
    I don't think a a wall would be effective at all and would be a waste of money.  But I do think something needs to be done.  Just like many other countries around the world have realized, we can't just take anyone and everyone that wants to move here.  I wish it wasn't so.  One of the things that is great about the US is that it is a melting pot and I believe diversity is an asset.  Traveling around the world really opens your eyes to this bc most nations are fairly homogeneous.  But population growth is a real issue and something we have to deal with.
    I also believe we make it too easy for those wanting to enter to try.  What's to lose?  We should have better deterrents and more enforcement.
    But, I also think separating kids from their families is a disgrace and actually makes me quite embarrassed.  I'd go for caning (adults) before I'd support that.  Sick.
    Thanks for the response, Spangler.  Not sure if you were just trolling me with the example -- as fate would have it, I lived in Singapore in 2016.  I've mentioned it a few times here, but was unsure if you were aware.

And I appreciate you coming around and focusing on where we share a common view.  I truly believe that most Americans agree on much of the topic of immigration reform, and if there's frustration in my view on this topic, it's because I think we can come together and make real progress on this -- if only (our politicians!) we focused on the similarities rather than the differences.

After all, if you and me and the rest of us can agree on the common ground, what's to stop the rest of the country doing so?

No need to answer that question -- I'd like to end on a positive note, and thank you for your reply.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    edited May 2019 #142
    Oh, that's funny.  Had no idea you lived there. Wasn't intended for you at all, was something for everyone ;)
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    At the risk of being called a socialist authoritarian, I'll simply say their pragmatic approach to governing leaves a lot to be desired.  You should really go (and stop in Tokyo as well if you've not been).  Have fun & appreciate the back and forth.  Back to work now.  Catch u later.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,854 Captain

Everyone wanted a wall until the last election, what changed?
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    I dunno.  I want a wall.  I want to throw people over it.  Americans as much as Mexican/Central/South Americans.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I’m sure going back and forth to the UK gives you a front seat to the problems on our border. 
     By the way, enjoy your flight across the pond. Apparently in around 10 years there will be no more airplanes. 
    Going back and forth to the UK doesn't give me much of a front seat to the problems on our border, but it does demonstrate that I get out.  Quite a bit, in fact.  There's a whole world out there -- you might try to see more of it.  Because the more I travel, the more I realize that people are the same the whole world over and the marginal distinctions some would point to in order to divide us are just that -- marginal at best.

No more airplanes in 10 years?  Says who?   Certainly not me.
    People are the same..When is your next vacation to somalia?  Have a trip planned to yemen?
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,461 AG
    cadman said:

It's twice as good.  Half as bad is twice as good.
    I firmly believe that.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    sk018 said:
    I’m sure going back and forth to the UK gives you a front seat to the problems on our border. 
     By the way, enjoy your flight across the pond. Apparently in around 10 years there will be no more airplanes. 
    Going back and forth to the UK doesn't give me much of a front seat to the problems on our border, but it does demonstrate that I get out.  Quite a bit, in fact.  There's a whole world out there -- you might try to see more of it.  Because the more I travel, the more I realize that people are the same the whole world over and the marginal distinctions some would point to in order to divide us are just that -- marginal at best.

People are the same..When is your next vacation to somalia?  Have a trip planned to yemen?
    A bike ride through New Orleans would take up less time and provide equivalent exposure.
    edited May 2019 #149
    sk018 said:

Yes, in my experience, people are the same.  Was I unclear?

As for your question:  I've not been nor do I have plans to visit Somalia or Yemen, but Dubai is quite a city.

More to the point you're trying to make:  I've been to 28 countries and counting. 

How many countries have you visited?  Have you been to Somalia or Yemen?

Please share your experiences, and tie that back to your apparent disbelief in my observation that people are the same no matter where you go.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    sk018 said:

A bike ride through New Orleans would take up less time and provide equivalent exposure.
    Or Minneapolis
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,201 Admiral
    I didn't get that.  people from Africa a very hot climate settling in America in one of our coldest states.

I know i couldn't live there.