Home General Fishing

Monster bull red caught on a 500 size reel

YakinwithJackYakinwithJack Posts: 129 Deckhand

I decided to do a ultralight challenge, so i took one of the smallest spinning reels they make and tackled some of our local giant redfish. The reel i used was a Shimano Sahara 500 with 10 pound braid on a medium fast action rod.    Hope you enjoy the video and thanks for everybody’s support! ***LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE ***

https://youtu.be/feJH9I1Uts4

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,115 Admiral
    edited May 2019 #2
    Seems like a great way to prolong a fight, putting unnecessary stress on a fish that is heavy regulated because it is in low numbers, increasing the likelihood it won't survive.  Congrats?

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cortrcortr Posts: 245 Deckhand
    Agree with Kellercl. Fish was out of water for over two minutes.  He was more concerned about showing off his spinning reel than protecting the breeding population. 
    I also noticed he pushed the fish down into the water because it was about to float up on it's side.  It didn't exactly swim off with vigour either.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,738 Captain
    Didn’t watch the video , but a reel has little to do with the fight. It’s in the rod. With 10 lb test, if the reel was capable of 3 lbs drag ( 30% of line test) then it should be no different than using a 4000 size reel with the same( appropriate) drag. You can easily kill a fish with to light of a drag/ too long of a fight.
    You should have been here yesterday
    Would the retrieve (in per crank) make a difference?  I ask because that does change a good amount with size of reel.

-Walter Payton
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,167 AG
    Reel Teal said:
    I hate links to YouTube videos
    Social media will be the fall of man.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,282 Admiral
    Good job yakin, and the rest of the guys need to calm down. He did absolutely nothing wrong. You see that is exactly what the anti's want. Divide and conquer. It really is that simple.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,166 AG
    Spineyman said:
    Good job yakin, and the rest of the guys need to calm down. He did absolutely nothing wrong. You see that is exactly what the anti's want. Divide and conquer. It really is that simple.
    Um, ok?

Guy posts a video => people critique =>  that is exactly what the anti's want

Those anti's are geniuses?

Captain Todd Approves

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,167 AG
    No.  

Chipmunk music.  No.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,738 Captain
    edited May 2019 #12
    kellercl said:
    Would the retrieve (in per crank) make a difference?  I ask because that does change a good amount with size of reel.
    I guess it could play a role, but if you reel quickly with a properly set drag ( and proper rod.... not a matching untralight) you could whip it more quickly than with too little drag ( trying to catch a fish on super light line or fly leader) ....imho 
    You should have been here yesterday
    I agree completely, the rod is the bigger factor in the equation.  I was genuinely curious as to what role crank plays.

-Walter Payton
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,057 Officer
    I'll bet the fish survived.
  • MarkiamMarkiam East Orlando Posts: 25 Deckhand
    Tough audience.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    yakin is fishing in pensacola bay system, and we are run over with redfish. while i agree with larger tackle being the way to go, i believe the fish survived being out of the water- no problem. i have caught a lot of reds in my life, and i think they are perhaps the hardiest  fish out there. i also believe if you don't intend to keep any fish for eating, you should try to keep them out water only as long as you can hold your breath. also, you could raise the limit on redfish in escambia and santa rosa counties to ten per day, and you could not harm them. fact!
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,469 Officer
    I thought IGFA records were established mostly around lighter tackle. 

Dunno, I could be wrong.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,632 AG
     I have caught a lot of reds in my life, and i think they are perhaps the hardiest  fish out there. i also believe if you don't intend to keep any fish for eating, you should try to keep them out water only as long as you can hold your breath. 
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Redfish are the most durable of the inshore " Big three"... 

The whole small reel thing is meaningless...it is just a line holder The proper use of a rod is what beats a fish...if this were not the case...nobody could catch a fish on a fly rod. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,166 AG
    I don't know about just a line holder.  Drag plays a pretty big role in tiring a fish, especially if you hook into one bigger than the combo and line we're meant for.

Captain Todd Approves

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    edited May 2019 #20
    The rod and how its used dictates when drag comes into play which is why the rod is the most important part of your setup. 

Most people never fight a fish on high drag and I guarantee they think their drag is set twice to what it actually is. 
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Listen to duckman. I've seen guys whip a 125lb tarpon in 10minutes with a 12weight fly rod. It's in the rod, the reel just casts the line, retrieves the line and controls the runs
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    Nice fish. I think it was poor handling. I wouldnt have handled the fish that way but still a nice fish on light tackle. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • reelfirereelfire ny/flaPosts: 55 Greenhorn
    duckmanJR said:
     I have caught a lot of reds in my life, and i think they are perhaps the hardiest  fish out there. i also believe if you don't intend to keep any fish for eating, you should try to keep them out water only as long as you can hold your breath. 
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Redfish are the most durable of the inshore " Big three"... 

The whole small reel thing is meaningless...it is just a line holder The proper use of a rod is what beats a fish...if this were not the case...nobody could catch a fish on a fly rod. 

Totally disagree. I was fortunate enough to help out an up and coming and now legendary new comer to the rod market in the northeast. I got to work trade shows in the northeast for them. I also fish with pro staff for 3 major rod companies, these are the guys who field test all the rods before they ever even get to the insiders and then out for sale.

A rod serves to purposes. It is first and formost  a delivery device. They are formulated to launch baits and artificials based on weight, size and line used. Once hooked up the rods sole purpose is that of shock absorber. The reels drag system is what tires a fish down. The rod is to handle the shocks from the fish starting and stopping its runs and when it changes direction suddenly.

When you hear guys **** their rods broke its usually operator error. To much pressure or high sticking because their low quality reel cannot handle the fish. Balancing a rod to reel should be done with some knowledge. There are several very high end rod manufacturers out their now. I used to work for one. The owner I worked for was to say nicely ,slightly crazy. Every rod he bought to market was tested far and above its limits. Rods are made from many different materials these days and can range in price from 50 to 1K. It all comes down to weight vs strength. The style of fishing I do now , surfcasting plugs in the northeast where we make hundreds of casts in a day, we like very light ultra strong rods. For this we pay 600 dollars.

When matching a rod and reel look at the line rating, lure weight and max drag that both can handle. I fish in huge boulder fields , where the rocks are the size of trucks and even houses. I have one shot at turning my fish before he can run and break me off. I have to fish with my drag close to lock down. Which means my rod has to be rated aove that rating.

Theres a huge difference between fishing light tackle and fishing under gunned. Fishing under gunned does the fish no good and will probably kill them after release.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, youre probably blocking the channel.
    "Theres a huge difference between fishing light tackle and fishing under gunned. Fishing under gunned does the fish no good and will probably kill them after release."

In particular I agree with this statement 100%.  I don't see the benefit of purposely being under gunned.  

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    "Theres a huge difference between fishing light tackle and fishing under gunned. Fishing under gunned does the fish no good and will probably kill them after release."

In particular I agree with this statement 100%.  I don't see the benefit of purposely being under gunned.  
    That's about the only part I completely agree with.

The fact that the rod is just for shock absorption is interesting especially coming from someone who sounds like he actually fishes with rods as well as builds them. 

Holding a slow pitch rod straight down and reeling with 25lbs drag on my last bottom trip the fish kept playing tug of war but when I caught the same size fish on a calstar 800h it just winched right up with no drag taken. Idk maybe that's just anecdotal evidence though. 
    I'm not a rod/reel expert.  I won't lie, I'm I don't know enough to comment on the other portions of his post.  I will say I tend to pull and reel down when I have a nice fish on.  So I do put a bunch of pressure on my rod, way more than my reel.  

-Walter Payton
  • reelfirereelfire ny/flaPosts: 55 Greenhorn
    Im far from an expert. in fact I know very little.I however always surround myself with people who are experts in their fields. For years all I fished wer StCroix rods, then I started noticing minor imperfection s in them. Then noticed more and more . So I asked myself if they are letting cosmetic issues slide what else are they letting slide? Then I met the crazy old Oriental man who opened my eyes to rods.
    If you aren't fishing on the edge, youre probably blocking the channel.
    edited May 2019 #28
    reelfire said:
    Im far from an expert. in fact I know very little.I however always surround myself with people who are experts in their fields. For years all I fished wer StCroix rods, then I started noticing minor imperfection s in them. Then noticed more and more . So I asked myself if they are letting cosmetic issues slide what else are they letting slide? Then I met the crazy old Oriental man who opened my eyes to rods.
    Now this I can agree with wholeheartedly. That's what led me to build my first rod over 10 years ago and has completely changed my approach to fishing ever since. Funny the same brand we noticed the imperfections in.....one big one was the spine was not properly identified on a lot of rods we buy.