Home Off Topic

Big DDT fish kill

2»

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Must have been sprayed.....with DDT
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,592 AG
    I can read your comments on the other topic. It doesn't appear deleted at all. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• DrivelousDrivelous Central FLPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    surfman said:
    With the influx of illegals into our country we have seen a resurgence of disease that were eliminated from the US. It will probably get worse since they stopped vaccinating for a lot of those as a result.
    Well, you can't spray for them.  What works on illegals also works on decent, God-fearin' Murkins.   Although it would be probably the most efficient way.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I remember visiting Marco and Everglades City back in the 60’s. You had to breath through your teeth to filter out the mosquitoes. 
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Once there was a thread in a long ago and far-away place, 'Deadliest Little Book in the World' - Silent Spring.   I'm no fan of pesticides but the emotional response to a mostly fictional book led to the deaths of millions in Africa.  Many underdeveloped countries were held hostage - 'Using DDT?...no aid for you!'   Things have changed somewhat since this study was published...but it should serve as a warning about 'fraudulent' science - when catchy slogans and highly charged emotional hypotheticals replace solid research.

DDT: A Case Study in Scientific Fraud

Conclusions

The ban on DDT, founded on erroneous or fraudulent reports and imposed by one powerful bureaucrat, has caused millions of deaths, while sapping the strength and productivity of countless human beings in underdeveloped countries. It is time for an honest appraisal and for immediate deployment of the best currently available means to controlling sect-borne diseases. This means DDT.

http://www.jpands.org/vol9no3/edwards.pdf
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,094 Captain
    Same people want us to stop using oil. Wonder how many billions that will kill?
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,442 Captain
    Once there was a thread in a long ago and far-away place, 'Deadliest Little Book in the World' - Silent Spring.   I'm no fan of pesticides but the emotional response to a mostly fictional book led to the deaths of millions in Africa.  Many underdeveloped countries were held hostage - 'Using DDT?...no aid for you!'   Things have changed somewhat since this study was published...but it should serve as a warning about 'fraudulent' science - when catchy slogans and highly charged emotional hypotheticals replace solid research.

DDT: A Case Study in Scientific Fraud

Conclusions

The ban on DDT, founded on erroneous or fraudulent reports and imposed by one powerful bureaucrat, has caused millions of deaths, while sapping the strength and productivity of countless human beings in underdeveloped countries. It is time for an honest appraisal and for immediate deployment of the best currently available means to controlling sect-borne diseases. This means DDT.

http://www.jpands.org/vol9no3/edwards.pdf
    G.L.
    Empirical evidence has pretty much proved that DDT is a factor in the softening of eggshells.
    I don't know of any evidence that DDT has caused cancer in humans.
    It's a whole lot like the PCB scare that cost GE millions dredging the Hudson River.
    Like DDT, PCB's have never been proven to cause cancer in humans.
    I agree with your statement about headline hunting politicians trying to garner votes on a volatile issue.
    Jim
    edited April 2019 #40
    Bobber, is right. 
     I can remember back in Ag. class in the mid 70’s ( yes, high school in Florida had vocational classes then) the agricultural teacher, Mr. Sapp, always preached about the proper application of pesticides. He always used DDT as a prime example of over application. 
     Many users thought that if 1 ounce per 5 gallons was good then 6 ounces would be even better. 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    Bobber, is right. 
     I can remember back in Ag. class in the mid 70’s ( yes, high school in Florida had vocational classes then) the agricultural teacher, Mr. Sapp, always preached about the proper application of pesticides. He always used DDT as a prime example of over application. 
     Many users thought that if 1 ounce per 5 gallons was good then 6 ounces would be even better. 
    Warren?
    edited April 2019 #42
    Bobber, is right. 
    Warren

Wayne. 1976

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    Bobber, is right. 
    Warren

Wayne. 1976

Same year I graduated.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    edited May 2019 #44
    Bobber said:

Its sad to see people parroting the conspiracy theorists websites without doing any real digging on the use and effects of the overspraying of DDT on our food supply and the land.

Anyone here ever actually READ Silent Spring? Carson didn't say DDT should be banned, she advocated for a more limited use by people who were better trained to apply it. In fact, DDT continues to be manufactured, used in and exported from the US to this day.Only China and India make and use more DDT.  (put your beliefs where your mouth is, for example, 36% of all garlic products consumed in the US come from China. where do your spices come from?)

The U.S. Government did not ban all use of DDT in the US back in the 70's, only on the application on our crops and livestock. And even that wouldn't have happened with out the consent and full support of Richard Nixon,that notorious tree hugging commie liberal.

All of the facts are readily available online but you will have to dig up the pieces and draw your own conclusions. I know, easier to parrot someone else's half truths,lies and  damned lies.

But at least investigate who paid for the websites.

Always one in a crowd who could benefit from taking their own advice. ;)   Tag, you're it.

Can you point out anyone in this conversation who advocated 'over spraying' or who claims Carson demanded the ban of DDT?  You're boxing at shadows.  'Silent Spring' (yes, I've read it) was an unscientific work heavy on speculation and emotion which ultimately led to the ban of DDT in the countries who needed it the most.  That millions of Africans died over the past few decades from malaria as a direct result of a ban on the cheapest, easiest and arguably the most effective method of controlling mosquitos is well documented.   I've already explained how that 'ban' worked.

Now, if you want to insist that the discontinued use of DDT in the US led to an increase in the eagle population while discounting other factors, that's fine.  We don't need DDT here.  However, can you present any credible evidence that DDT caused a massive fish kill near Marco, in the 60's?...(the topic of this thread)

It's helpful to read with understanding - understand that few, if any, (on this thread) are advocating using DDT in the US at this time - an important issue is one of emotional knee-jerk reactions based on flawed, faulty, agenda driven or incomplete research...and the resulting cost in human lives elsewhere.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt