Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

4/21 Hillsboro to Delray offshore - No Wahoo, jigging was good!

clarkefishingclarkefishing Pompano Beach, FLPosts: 9 Greenhorn
Hey guys. 

Last month during the full moon I was finally able to get out there and try high speed wahoo trolling for the first time. Never did it before, but we got a giant hit in 220' off of Boca at 15 MPH on the big black/white Islander/skirt/egg sinker lure, and that meant only one thing - wahoo! About 20 minutes later, the fiancée handlined the last 40 feet of leader and I stuck the gaff in this beast! Not a giant, but it was our first on the boat and our first high speeding which made it extra special.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I'm super excited to try high speeding again. I think the first time spoiled me. No wind, little cool, a few days after the full moon; conditions seemed perfect for wahoo. We were heading out of Hillsboro Inlet at 6:15 AM, and had lines in the water by 6:25 and started the high speed zigzag northwards. Beautiful morning on Easter Sunday. 

We trolled all the way to Delray and back towards Boca by 8:30. No wahoo to be found. No hits. Lots of little rips and the water seemed clean. Almost no weed near shore but I think that was because of the west winds the day before. Saw some blackfins jumping after some bait in about 130' off Boca early in the morning, for anyone that is interested.

We hit a local wreck with the vertical jigs on light spinners and the depth finder was absolutely lit up. We caught 6 nice almaco jacks. No need for pictures of those, we've all seen them. We were back at the dock by 10 AM. 

I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to the wahoo scene, and I know they're rare off our coast here compared to the Bahamas, but do you think I did anything wrong? I made S-turns from 120/140 to 230/240 and back. Did the same thing the first time we tried and we had a hit in 130' and then hooked the one we caught 5 minutes later in 220'. Yesterday no hits at all. What speed is the "best" when high speeding here? What are "good" Wahoo conditions compared to bad ones? (And before anyone says to try planer fishing, I really don't like catching kingfish/bonita, high speeding eliminates those.)

Also, if you ever see me around Hillsboro/Boca, say hi! Look for a 21 foot Sea Hunt named Little Shotzie. If I'm not cruising around with a giant golden retriever on the bow, I'll be on the reef looking for yellowtail snapper, or looking for mahi offshore. Give a wave!

Replies

• flashback62flashback62 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    My son and I have caught all three species high speeding off the palm beaches.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    The conditions looked great this weekend for the HST.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    Nice wahoo and pics.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 975 Officer
    You didn't do anything wrong.  For every trip someone that knows what they are doing catches a wahoo, they will have 3-4 trips without one.  Just a fact you pointed out - wahoo are not abundant off our coast.  You may get lucky and hit the right spot on the right day and catch 3-4, but those days happen once a year.  You'll have many days without a hit, and some days with a fish or two.  If you had been doing what you did at the following locations at the right time, you'd have had a bunch of hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohIw_8pEyIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEZ6zrssXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ae_yPfIuk
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,596 Captain
    Congrats on the wahoo....I'm just starting the hunt for them.  Can't wait to get my first one
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    Great report...thanks! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 116 Deckhand
    edited April 2019 #8
    Really nice report and congrats on the nice hoo on the previous trip. Ditto to xenia's comments. I would also say that it seems sometimes that people consider moon phase, wind direction and time of day to determine when to Wahoo fish. I am certainly not trying to sound boastful only trying to make a point. I have caught wahoo on nearly every moon phase, with varying wind conditions and as late as 1:30 in the afternoon. Conditions are certainly an aspect to consider, but odds are the more you target wahoo and fish for them, the more you'll catch...hopefully  Thanks again for a nice report
  • clarkefishingclarkefishing Pompano Beach, FLPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Blue H2O said:
    Really nice report and congrats on the nice hoo on the previous trip. Ditto to xenia's comments. I would also say that it seems sometimes that people consider moon phase, wind direction and time of day to determine when to Wahoo fish. I am certainly not trying to sound boastful only trying to make a point. I have caught wahoo on nearly every moon phase, with varying wind conditions and as late as 1:30 in the afternoon. Conditions are certainly an aspect to consider, but odds are the more you target wahoo and fish for them, the more you'll catch...hopefully  Thanks again for a nice report
    I was always under the impression that 3 days before and after the full moon are the best. And the new moon as well. Also heard that early morning/late afternoon are best.

Any other tips? New to this high speed thing. I appreciate all of your help!

Quick question, how fast do you troll? My boat seems to like 14-15 MPH. Anything faster and it gets too much on plane and the RPMs ramp up rather quickly. 
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 975 Officer
    12-15 seems to be the general speed, but they are caught much slower too using planers and drifting with live bait so who knows.

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    xenia said:
    12-15 seems to be the general speed, but they are caught much slower too using planers and drifting with live bait so who knows.

I'm guessing that you're quite serious about wahoos.......WOW what an investment!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Thats a beautiful pit... fishing machine