Home Fly Fishing

Gummy Minnow Question

JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
Does anybody know if you can purchase "sili skin" in strips longer than 6" or know a more economical alternative? 

Replies

• sa1280sa1280 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I’ve had the best luck shopping around online. Some shop somewhere always seems to be offering it on close out 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    The gummi minnow is actually created with “gummi body” material and “gummi flash foil”.  

The gummi body material comes in 2x12” sheets in both .020 and .040 thickness sizes.  Any fly shop that orders from Wapsi Fly can get all you need.  

Good luck.  Only one angler has ever used gummi minnows on my skiff.  I didn’t think much of them - but the fish ate them just fine...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    The gummi minnow is actually created with “gummi body” material and “gummi flash foil”.  

The gummi body material comes in 2x12” sheets in both .020 and .040 thickness sizes.  Any fly shop that orders from Wapsi Fly can get all you need.  

Good luck.  Only one angler has ever used gummi minnows on my skiff.  I didn’t think much of them - but the fish ate them just fine...
    I shall have a look around. I know one fly shop near me doesn't stock it but I will check out a couple of other places otherwise I will just order online.

I used them for the first time last year fishing in the surf and found they worked really well. But, as with all flies, they soon get smashed to bits. 
    Any shop that orders Wapsi products will be able to order all you want.... (Wapsi is one of the biggest suppliers to fly shops around - but they only sell wholesale...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain

Lol! Reading this made my day. I really don't like gummi minnows. 
    All those years ago when I ran night classes, teaching fly tying, through Broward Community College (wonder if it even has the same name almost forty years later...) I tried to emphasize that the fish were the judges of our efforts... Your absolute best fly is useless if the fish won't eat it... 

I thought the gummi minnow looked like a lifeless piece of soft plastic - with no particular action when you stripped ---- the fish thought otherwise and ate everyone my angler cast to them... Who knew?

I used to guarantee any shop that ordered from me that my flies were certain to catch fishermen - and that was my goal every time... If they took them fishing and had a bit of confidence in them - they might even catch a fish....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    All those years ago when I ran night classes, teaching fly tying, through Broward Community College (wonder if it even has the same name almost forty years later...) I tried to emphasize that the fish were the judges of our efforts... Your absolute best fly is useless if the fish won't eat it... 

I thought the gummi minnow looked like a lifeless piece of soft plastic - with no particular action when you stripped ---- the fish thought otherwise and ate everyone my angler cast to them... Who knew?

I used to guarantee any shop that ordered from me that my flies were certain to catch fishermen - and that was my goal every time... If they took them fishing and had a bit of confidence in them - they might even catch a fish....
    Fair point.

Although when I first used one and ran in through some bait fish, I was surprised at how much it seemed to mimic one. 

As they say, to each his own.