Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Retiring to Apalachicola

Closing on 1.5 acres on May 8.

Selling our Orlando area home and building a new home in Apalachicola.

A jerk on one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end of the line.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,948 Captain
    Congrats. Beautiful area
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,975 AG
    nice, getting out while the gettin's good 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 8,601 Moderator
    Congratulations. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Awesomeness!
    God, save the South!
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    Welcome to Franklin County
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,465 Admiral
    Good fishing in that area.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,853 Admiral
    I'll be hauling my 3rd  load  to my new Retirement home about 75 miles East of you in Taylor County 5 Acres on a dead end dirt road . I already own the 5 next door so I'm in control of every thing I can see . 
    Big Cypress Swamps all around me and I  own the top of the 53 ft. hill . 
    House in Naples is on the Market in 3 weeks.
    Feels real nice to finally do what I want , not everybody else...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • fishawkfishawk Posts: 263 Deckhand
    I'll be hauling my 3rd  load  to my new Retirement home about 75 miles East of you in Taylor County 5 Acres on a dead end dirt road . I already own the 5 next door so I'm in control of every thing I can see . 
    Big Cypress Swamps all around me and I  own the top of the 53 ft. hill . 
    House in Naples is on the Market in 3 weeks.
    Feels real nice to finally do what I want , not everybody else...
    I have no neighbors within sight, and the property has protected Apalachicola River wetlands behind it.

Looking for a builder for a 2000+/-  Sq. Ft. Florida Style home

But metal roof, and definitely not that puke color green.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,853 Admiral
    I went Simple..
    10 year old Double wide that nobody has ever lived in.Still smells like new .
     Husband died before they ever moved in . 1,300 SF on 5 Acres. 60 Grand.
    Right outside my front gate at my Hunting Camp.

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Ten to one that you and the family will learn to really like the Apalachicola area! "Apalach", as we around the area call it, has a long and interesting history, and at one time it was the largest seaport on the Gulf Coast. River boat traffic ran all the way up to Columbus, Georgia bringing down freight and passengers. During the "War of Yankee Aggression", it was very supportive of the "wrong side" however, having a lot of northerners associated with the business aspect of the city and area.  But it is a great place, and I wish I, too, could live there!

Oh yea, almost forgot---I stock the Piggly Wiggly store in Apalach and on St. George Island with my heirloom grits and cornmeal, so be sure to go by the store(s) and stock up on the best grits you've ever had! And IF you come in here with any of that "I don't eat grits" stuff, then you need to move to New York City instead ;-) !

Oh yea, almost forgot---I stock the Piggly Wiggly store in Apalach and on St. George Island with my heirloom grits and cornmeal, so be sure to go by the store(s) and stock up on the best grits you've ever had! And IF you come in here with any of that "I don't eat grits" stuff, then you need to move to New York City instead ;-) !
    I am actually returning home to Apalach.
    I have worked in the oyster houses, drove trucks full of oysters all over the place, and captained a shrimp boat on the bay long ago.
    I decided to leave the area many years ago seeking better financial opportunities.
    Traveled around Florida a bit and finally settled in a 'burb of Orlando in 2001 to be where the job opportunities best suited my profession.
    I may not be as country as the country boys in Georgia, but I can skin a buck and run a trotline.
    Can't wait to eat them grits my friend.
    Always wanted to go to the NW Bash to meet and greet but it would have been a big hassle trailering my boat there and all.
    Anyhow, folks tell me my shrimp creole is good.
    I catch my own shrimp in the Indian River.
    I'd have to bring some of that Creole with me to the Bash.
    My father and I have a U.S. Geological Survey Site on Lake Wimico named after our family houseboat that we built and berthed it there for decades until the hurricane of 1985.
    We had a beekeeper's lease for many years with St. Joe Paper and a bee ramp at that site to produce Tupelo honey commercially.
    The U.S. Geological Survey Site is named, "Yellow Houseboat."
    I am mistaken.
    It is a archaeological site under NOAA, not the USGS.
    Here is the link pertaining to the archaeology: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CZIC-e74-f6-w55-1994/html/CZIC-e74-f6-w55-1994.htm
    Check out this video about this location;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tRTGU8y0p4
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,478 Officer
    Living the dream, I hope all goes well.

The video of the Indian Burial grounds is interesting and I can imagine its a very atmospheric place, Cypress trees, spanish moss and the dark does it for me every time.

We had a similar phenomena on the remote marshes where I lived as a kid.
    Going duck shooting at dusk, or before first light, I would sometimes see a figure, or figures, with or without small lights, in the distance.
    Knowing that nobody else should be in the area this use to concern the 10 year old boy that was me.
    As I approached the figure would often disappear and then reappear in a different place, sometimes they appeared to crouch down, or stand taller.
    I always had my Grandfathers big lurcher with me (he knew the way home in the fog and was my protection, more so than the single barrel 12 bore I carried), Merlin never threatened the figures or took much notice of them, which was reassuring.
    My Grandfather first told me they were the spirits of lost Shepherds, but my Grandmother soon explained about marsh gases that released in certain weather condition.
    Her information was comforting, but when confronted with a figure that appeared to be waving at me my Grandfather's explanation carried a lot of weight.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Congrats on the retirement relocation! Hope all goes well.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,996 Captain
    edited April 2019 #21
    Enjoy!  I won't be far behind you on the retirement, but can't relocate at present.  I have a brother who lives nearby that needs me and Lora's mom is slowly slipping away from us mentally.  
    Proverbs 13:3