This kind of crap only hurts us!

james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
Especially considering our recent issues with the horse crowd on SWFWMD properties.

I went scouting this morning on a local WMA and parked at one of SWFWMDs basic entry points where you have to sign in. Some **** had dumped the remains of a hog right smack in the middle of the parking area. You had to go around it to even park and you certainly couldn't escape the stinch. What made it worse is the morons wrapped it in a sheet and put it in a plastic bin thereby keeping it from being scavenged while still fresh and allowing the smell to fester even worse. I tried what I could to move it but had nothing to protect my hands from the mess. Utterly pathetic. Now every non-hunter who parks there to use the area will have that bad image of us right in their faces...and noses.

I know there are non-hunters who view this board so let me be the first to apologize if you happened upon the mess. I can assure you most of us are more intelligent than this. I, for one, would like to see some campaign or something by FWC to at least encourage a proper way to dispose of what's left because dumping it on the side of the road like that just stinks...literally.

Replies

• Lineman North FloridaLineman North Florida Posts: 316 Deckhand
    If your not a hunter you can always tell when hunting season starts because you will see corn sacks flying out of the back of trucks and littered all along the sides of the roads, then the carcasses at every creek crossing or gate that is easy to get in and out of quick, your right it's shameful and makes us hunters look bad to others.
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    I wouldn't put it past some rabid anti to stage something like this but hunters are often to blame. I had to have a talk with some kids that were plucking their birds at a boat ramp that is within a park that a lot of non hunters use littering the place with feathers. It amazes me how ignorant some can be.

The thing that makes me think this is a non hunter is that fact that it was in a plastic bag, wrapped in a sheet. Who does that?
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    I wouldn't put it past some rabid anti to stage something like this but hunters are often to blame. I had to have a talk with some kids that were plucking their birds at a boat ramp that is within a park that a lot of non hunters use littering the place with feathers. It amazes me how ignorant some can be.

The thing that makes me think this is a non hunter is that fact that it was in a plastic bag, wrapped in a sheet. Who does that?

I don't think it was a non-hunter. I think that's reading into it way too much. Besides, where would they get hog remains?

I think they used the plastic bin to put the remains in after cleaning it and I'm not sure what the deal was with the sheet. Maybe they thought they were helping cover it up. It was, more than likely, someone who rarely kills something and had no idea what to do with the leftovers. I don't know who would use a sheet and a plastic bin everytime they killed something. Hence the reason I suggest FWC do some form of education on what to do with the leftovers after a kill.
  • cetchdawgcetchdawg Posts: 120 Officer
    I agree ! I HATE to see the left over mess people who don't care leave ! It's ashame ! I pulled into my lil private place yesterday to find the same mess ..... it was an old metal trash can with what looked like a hog that had not even had a knife to it ! people just don't have any sense ! I've watched this topic on the news in the past.... its only time and the right/wrong person to get ahold of the right situation ... needless to say I had to deal with a bigger mess than the original person who dropped their lil problem off did !
    #LivinthatSouthernLife®
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    If your not a hunter you can always tell when hunting season starts because you will see corn sacks flying out of the back of trucks and littered all along the sides of the roads, then the carcasses at every creek crossing or gate that is easy to get in and out of quick, your right it's shameful and makes us hunters look bad to others.

we both see the world without the rose-colored glasses. But the in-season gut-tossers are at least killing their game in season.
    I consider myself fairly ethical and i very rarely hunt public anything. I used to wonder about gutpiles in the woods being a bad thing.
    A fellah I knew killed a deer right before lunch where we figured there weren't any, he came by and told us all about it and we good-naturedly told him it was alright, he didn't have to tell us where he got it, but he didn't have to lie.
    So to prove it he took us right back to where he killed it. The ONLY thing that was left of that gutpile were the blood stains on some of the grass (it had been licked off of some of it) and the contents of the large intestine. NOT the large intestine, Just the contents... whatever got there in the two hrs between him leaving and us coming was gone... He proved he got the deer there, but we were more amazed that between 11am and 1pm a scavenger(s) had come in and got it all, and left.
    So I, leave the guts in the woods. I recon if I hunted public land it'd depend on the rules and if it was acceptable to leave the pile I would except during high harvest times...Opening day, doe days and such.
  • CptMikeCptMike Posts: 286 Officer
    james 14 wrote: »

I, for one, would like to see some campaign or something by FWC to at least encourage a proper way to dispose of what's left because dumping it on the side of the road like that just stinks...literally.

Another government solution for a contemporary hunting culture that debases hunting with the “easy”….bait, technology, I, me, now approach. Don’t mind me you guys are having it your way.
    The "redneck way".........just so long as something winds up dead.
    Mike, I'm talking about education for those who don't know the proper thing to do. I can understand a new hunter not knowing what to do with it. What should be done instead?

Frisbee, I leave all my guts/bones in the woods in a decent place. I typically pull up under an oak with a big overhanging limb, throw a rope over and pull the deer up. I do all the butchering and deboning (I always carry a cooler) and drag what's left off to the side...probably 50-60 yards off the road. It doesn't take long before its all gone. The buzzards are usually lined up before I even finish.
    In this particular instance they wrapped it up and put it in a bucket which prevented scavengers from getting it. I still wouldn't have left it right smack dab in the middle of the parking spot.
    James,
    I gotta agree with the sabotaging theory of the Anti-hunting group then. Morons are usually too lazy to wrap it up
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    James that is nothing, drive up 51 by Stienhatchee Springs,they literally dump hundreds of hog carcasses on the side of the road for everone in the world to see. Talk about a stinking mess,then also on 50 around Richloam somebody always puts a hog head on a fence post right by the store,last week an entire hog somebody shot laid on top of a dumpster. These are sorry people without a lick of sense. All these guys are public land hunters on there one or two trips a year mission.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I went to pick up some plastic grocery bags out of an intersection in my local wma and found them full of fish carcasses. Strange thing was it looked like gar or carp. What is wrong with these idiots?
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    In the middle of a parking area is wrong. Wrapped so scavengers cant get to it is wrong. Pretty much anywhere, provided its not in the way, can be a dump site and nobody wouldf ever know because it will be gone before they know it. USed too dump mine on the edge of a swamp down the road from the house. Since I moved I dump it all at the back of the property no more than 100 yds from my back door. It's ALWAYS reduced to bones within 24 hours and never even gets a chance to stink. Hell, half the time I think the buzzards beat the flies to it lol.
    But then there was the time some cracker kept cleaning his deer and gator carcasses in the exact same spot and the scavengers couldn't keep up with the carnage...It was rotting in the water .... I let the Local LEO know.
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    These are the same people who take there 50 year old couch or old rear-projection tv and dump it in the nearest vacant lot. Also the same people who throw their McDonalds bags out the car window. Some poeple are just idiots (a-holes?) and no amount of education or even opinion is ever going to change that.
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    It's not just Florida.

I was hunting Beaverdam WMA in GA a couple weeks ago and some idiot left a deer carcass 20 yards from the campground. All he took was the hams & back straps.

There ahd be a managed deer hunt 3 days earlier(I was hunting hogs on a small game hunt).

The entire campground stank. Not to mention all the trash left at camp sites and trash all over the WMA. Seems hunters like Bud Lite.

There is a large percentage of the hunting population that are nasty idiots and give us all a bad name.
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 733 Officer
    Garbage, crap like that really ticks me off!
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
    GA Fin wrote: »
    There is a large percentage of the hunting population that are nasty idiots and give us all a bad name.

There is a large percentage of the population IN GENERAL that are nasty idiots.
  • cetchdawgcetchdawg Posts: 120 Officer
    james 14 wrote: »
    There is a large percentage of the population IN GENERAL that are nasty idiots.

Agreed
    #LivinthatSouthernLife®
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    cetchdawg wrote: »
    Agreed
    Agreed