Home General Fishing

Trolling Rod Length

ChumbagChumbag Posts: 381 Officer
For my general east coast trolling, I use Penn Senator 4/0's with 30 lbs test and 5'6" 30-50 lbs rods with roller tips. Is there any significant advantage to using longer rods?

Replies

• 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    I've thought about it for a couple of minutes and I can't think of any real significance. Mine are 5'9" with roller tips and I am going to get away from any roller tip or guides. The Aftco speed guides are sweet on a Star Plasma rod.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    Chumbag wrote: »
    For my general east coast trolling, I use Penn Senator 4/0's with 30 lbs test and 5'6" 30-50 lbs rods with roller tips. Is there any significant advantage to using longer rods?

from the IGFA regulations-

E. ROD

1. Rods must comply with sporting ethics and customs. Considerable latitude is allowed in the choice of a rod, but rods giving the angler an unfair advantage will be disqualified. This rule is intended to eliminate the use of unconventional rods.

2. The rod tip must be a minimum of 40 inches (101.6 cm) in length. The rod butt cannot exceed 27 inches (68.58 cm) in length. These measurements must be made from a point directly beneath the center of the reel. A curved butt is measured in a straight line. When the rod butt is placed in a gimbal, the measurement from the center of the reel seat to the pivot point of the gimbal can be no more than 27 inches. (The above measurements do not apply to surfcasting rods.)

In other words, your 5' 6" rods might not be IGFA legal for record book purposes, you'll have to measure it against the regs above to see if an entry catch submitted on those rods would be accepted or disqualified.
  • jah sonjah son Posts: 236 Officer
    The flex of a longer rod can help keep the line tight when a fish comes at the boat and you're cranking fast.

I mostly use set-ups just like yours, but I use two longer, more flexible rods for the two rigger baits. Having the two longer rods also helps keep the line from catching on a rod in the side rod holders when the rigger pops.
    Knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence.

9 out of 10 times alcohol IS the answer.
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Bobber wrote: »
    from the IGFA regulations-

E. ROD

1. Rods must comply with sporting ethics and customs. Considerable latitude is allowed in the choice of a rod, but rods giving the angler an unfair advantage will be disqualified. This rule is intended to eliminate the use of unconventional rods.

2. The rod tip must be a minimum of 40 inches (101.6 cm) in length. The rod butt cannot exceed 27 inches (68.58 cm) in length. These measurements must be made from a point directly beneath the center of the reel. A curved butt is measured in a straight line. When the rod butt is placed in a gimbal, the measurement from the center of the reel seat to the pivot point of the gimbal can be no more than 27 inches. (The above measurements do not apply to surfcasting rods.)

In other words, your 5' 6" rods might not be IGFA legal for record book purposes, you'll have to measure it against the regs above to see if an entry catch submitted on those rods would be accepted or disqualified.

If from approximately the center of your reel seat forward is greater than 3ft 4inches you are pretty much good. I doubt your using anything that warrants a bent butt on a 30-50# rod, so for example on a 5'6" rod as long as your butt (approximately center of reel seat to the end of butt cap OR the 'notch' on a gimbal, is less than 27" (2ft 3") your ok. To put this in perspective you would need a standard #4 gimbal (3" total length so we will figure high), most reel seats are 7" or less (7"), so unless you have a 17" rear grip you are set. The forward part is nothing to worry about unless you are dealing with unibutts.

Now as to using a longer rod, outboard motors come to mind as the main reason to increase it. Species such as kingfish have soft mouths and often a longer rod will allow that extra "give" to prevent pulled hooks. But there is 2 sides to everything, say you goto a 7' rod, your ability to power a fish in exponentially decreases as length increases. So you work harder for the same result.

Try this >> hold up a 5 gallon bucket filled about a quarter filled with water with your arm outstretched. This is only about 10# or so. Easy, no problem at all whatsoever. Now do the same with your setup tied to that same buckets handle, its much harder. Now try a 7' rod, it will take a tremendous amount of energy to lift a simple 10#. With an 8ft rod you just about literally cant get it off the ground without being at a higher point than the buck (on a truck bed, upstairs, etc)
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    For everyday trolling I like lighter set ups. I use 4 connley fishing k20-50 7 ft rods with Daiwa Saltist LD 50's packed with 600 yards of 50 pound braid and top shots and I have two 6 ft 20 -40 Connely Fishing for my a little heavier stuff with Daiwa Saltiga 50's.

The heavy stuff, as in wahoo etc. I have 2 connley fishing 6 ft 50 -100 and 2 connley fishing 6 ft 30-60 with accurate 30's and 50's. The 50-100's have roller tips but everything else has silicone cabide guides that can basically handle wire if need be.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Chumbag wrote: »
    I use Penn Senator 4/0's with 30 lbs test and 5'6" 30-50 lbs rods with roller tips.

Personally, I think this is an odd choice for a 30# trolling outfit. You don't need a short rod with roller tip to put a maximum of 10# drag pressure on a running fish. I would consider using TLD 15's on 6'6" or 7' rods. TLD 15 combos are about the same cost as Penn 4/0 combos and are a lot more fun to catch fish with.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    I will say that with a longer flexible rod it easier to detect if you bait has some weed on it, but I do prefer using the 5-5 to 6 foot rods.
  • ChumbagChumbag Posts: 381 Officer
    Good inputs, thanks. Also, a good point of using longer rods to clear shorter aft ones.