Home Boating

Miami Boat Show

FlecFlec Posts: 626 Officer
How does the new show location compare to the old location. Is the show bigger,smaller,same?  Best place to park?  I went there for many years, but have not been to the latest location.  Thanks

Replies

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 707 Officer
    edited January 2019 #2
    I like the old location more as it was closer to South Beach places we liked stay and go out to eat. We used to walk from our hotel to the show and maybe take a cab from time to time. The lines have been terrible for the water shuttles when leaving from the new location. Then once you're dropped off there is still a walk back to the hotel. I really liked going to the show but I'll probably skip it due to the hassle (IMO) of getting to and from the present location.

The next show I will go to is the Ft. Lauderdale show. Way easier all around for us since we fly in/out and it seems that it may be more oriented to anglers. Flights are cheaper and you don't have to deal with anything Miami.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 626 Officer
    I knew there was a reason I haven't gone in a few years
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 136 Deckhand
    The new location on Virginia Key is a great set up.  However, getting in and out and to the show is another thing.  I haven't had to deal with the water taxis but parking is off site and you have to wait for a charter bus to shuttle you to the front gate.  I know lines are super long but I work the show so can't speak on getting in and out during normal hours.  From what we have been told, this year they are implementing a better entry system to alleviate some of the hassle.  If you are talking about the old "Yachts Miami Show" that used to be on Collins Avenue out by the beach, they have moved that aspect to a new location over by the American Airlines Marina.  Not sure how that one will be as it is the first year doing it there.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,596 Captain
    For many years I displayed boats at the Collins Avenue location. 
    I knew then that there would be a time when the show location would surely change. 
    It was obvious that the Collins show event was a hardship on the community and the show venue was changing.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bluediamondsoflabluediamondsofla MiamiPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    They moved the boat show to Virginia Key just like they moved Ultra to the same location. Both events had the same issue — entering and exiting the area is a hassle because there is only one street in and one street out. Extremely risky, but the seclusion actually makes for a better event. We were there at this year's Miami Boat Show holding discussions on Ceramic Pro Coating so chances are we can't skip it next year, but this year we were able to educate a lot of boat owners so maybe the bad location won't affect the crowd next time. It's obvious that boat owners don't have a lot of events just for themselves, so perhaps they'll take the hint and just sail to the event rather than drive :smile:
  • FlecFlec Posts: 626 Officer
    Well, the wife and I went this year. Not a bad experience. Park and ride went fairly smooth. Overall I thought the "old Show " and location was bigger/better. Probably won't go next year.