Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marco Island next week, any tips!?

I am heading to jw marriott on marco island for work. Is there a chance for snook on the beach or too early? Also would it be worth trying off the jetty, or bridge leading out that way? Heard there are some tarpon around marinas but being on foot dont want to get arrested LOL
we need more internet money

Replies

• OnFootOnFoot Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Starting to see sporadic snook activity on the beaches. Just be sure to get out before the masses hit the beach. They spook easily with so many people walking the shoreline. Haven’t bothered fishing Marco yet this season as there are too many people scouring for seashells. Plenty of jacks etc to keep your rod bent... follow a bait pod as white bait is starting to show up more and more along the beaches.  I walked a stretch this morning in Naples strictly sight casting. Saw roughly 20 fish in a few hundred yard walk... they are coming in.. just not thick yet. Some nice ones and lots of little males.  Quit my walk when I couldn’t sneak up on a snook without banging someone walking the beach behind me with a fly. I can’t believe the number of juvi Sheephead up that area.. little little guys all within 20 feet of shore over sandy bottom. Anyone else know the reason to this anomaly? 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    Maybe they are survivors of red tide? Cool they are on the beach getting them to chew is another feat! Also hoping for some pomps!
    we need more internet money
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 147 Deckhand
    Was by Marco last weekend.  There are some snook on the beach.  Personal opinion is water is still a tad cold at 72-73 on Sunday.  Saw some snook out there though.  Small to medium sized.  All the players are starting to show.  Another week of mid 80's and things should get fully into spring pattern.  Correct about the people.  The fishing improving will time nicely about when all the non residents head for home.  Great time of year ahead.