Home Off Topic

What the hail??

tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

A friend in Melbourne had his windshield smashed, almost baseball-size stones. And the streets of Trenton were covered in it like a winter wonderland.

Missed us in Gainesville as far as I can tell.

Anyone have firsthand experience? Apparently it was bad in select locations.

Replies

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,187 Captain
    Yes it was on the news. Just the space coast area.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    edited March 2019 #3
    We didn't have baseball sized but we got several inches of peanut sized hail. Tore the snot out of my banana and mango trees.  :'(

I've been here since 1990 and that storm made the top 3 list of the most rapid onset gale-force wind events I've witnessed. 
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    I'm in west Marion County (Ocala) I would also agree top three hail storms in 30 years. 6:00 am. I was worried it was gonna break my sky light glass.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    it was a little gusty on the water.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,541 Admiral
    It hailed in Albany 2 nights ago. It was small though.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,351 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I looked at the radar as the hail and rain was building. It was very spotty and didn't look that bad. At the time, I don't remember any in the gulf on radar.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    I've seen it like that before but, usually the hail is only nickel and dime sized. I was working in a new house installing a set of cabinets and it got black and the hail came down for at least 20 minutes, covered the ground. It usually happens in the summertime though when you get those big cumulus clouds.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    AC Man said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I looked at the radar as the hail and rain was building. It was very spotty and didn't look that bad. At the time, I don't remember any in the gulf on radar.
    Just a skeeter breeze
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.