Home Off Topic

Pool maintenance cost?

2»

Replies

• Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,191 Captain
    Resinhead said:
    30 min a week is what it takes me.

Never thought about costs as it's not really relevant. Maybe $50 to 60 a month for me. I enjoy cleaning and maintaining it. Put some tunes on, make a drink, clean the pool.
    This is what I did.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,608 Admiral
    Scoutboat said:
    King_Me said:
    Now the pool filter cartridge housing developed a crack on the lid.  Just ordered a new one from Amazon - $460!
    How did it crack?  I've maintained my Hayward for 15 years.  No problem.

I have no idea how it cracked.  The pool components sit in the direct sun all day, plastic has a chalky texture to it.  This is a Pentair unit.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Build a small roof over the equipment. I put 2 walls and a small metal roof over my stuff and I can't  hear it running on the pool deck.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    True, the sun puts a hurting on the plastic components.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,671 Admiral
    Resinhead said:
    30 min a week is what it takes me.

Never thought about costs as it's not really relevant. Maybe $50 to 60 a month for me. I enjoy cleaning and maintaining it. Put some tunes on, make a drink, clean the pool.
    Back when we had a pool I'd get in the pool & wade around & do the vacuuming the bottom.  Kill 2 birds at the same time.  I did my own chemicals too.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I have one of those tractor type pool cleaners that run off the suction of the pool pump.
    Works good, but way over priced.
    You need to be careful not to send too much suction through it because that will damage the gears.
    Trust me.   
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,608 Admiral
    Resinhead said:
    Build a small roof over the equipment. I put 2 walls and a small metal roof over my stuff and I can't  hear it running on the pool deck.

I planted some Podocarpus shrubs in front of the components yesterday to shade the area somewhat.  Hope they grow fast!
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 294 Deckhand
    You can protect PVC pipe/fittings from the sun (UV) with latex paint.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,526 AG
    PROFINITY said:
    You can protect PVC pipe/fittings from the sun (UV) with latex paint.
    we might paint our DE filter like a minion 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,875 AG
    That reminds me when we started service he advised me to put something over the equipment.  Things falling off the roof or something banging into it is the #1 cause of failure.  He didn't mention the sun, but I believe all of you.

Captain Todd Approves