Home General Hunting

Student Research

swimman817swimman817 Davie, FloridaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hello fellow outdoorsmen, I am currently a student at Nova Southeastern University and I am currently running a study on the impact of invasive species on the south Florida ecology. I ask all of you to fill out my short survey to aid in the conservation of our land and animals. 

Here is the link to my survey,
https://forms.gle/7eFJk4ddgxDaohds7

Thank you,
Tristan Sanders

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I think everyone here would answer YES to all the concerns... who is also sponsoring this?
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    If one is looking for opinions/attitudes about invasive species - What could age or gender have to do with the answers. Maybe I am paranoid but to me age and gender open the door to biased interpretation leading to a possibly to a desired result. If I am wrong on this I apologize here and now - but my attitude  is a result of viewing more BS ideas/surveys/ideas from academia and government folks over the last 25 years than I care to remember.
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    They want to weed out those pesky data points that would elude to reality.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,160 Admiral
    For what it is worth there is some research that shows the Kite adapting to the invasive snail that is pushing out the native apple snail. Of particular interest is that in that research there is data showing a increase in the length of the kite's bills. This evolutionary response to the larger prey has happened in a very fast window, faster than might have been expected.

As to the bigger question of "impact from invasive species on South Florida".......one word.....Yankees B)
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    bswiv said - "As to the bigger question of "impact from invasive species on South Florida".......one word.....Yankees" B
    I say global trade/travel vehicles (e.g. ships, planes, trains etc.) also markets for all things exotic to the area they are being delivered to. Don't foreseeing anything stopping any of that - so - get used to exotic/invasive species.

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    edited March 2019 #7
    Tristan,
    Note Everglades Conservation Area # 1 was eventually renamed in honor of the “ Father” of “ Everglades System Restoration”.
    ” Dr.” Arthur Marshall was a friend of mine. Art downplayed the ‘Doctor’ Honorate bestowed upon him, Art became disenchanted with “ Scientists” that could research, figure out problems, but ultimately could only “ study the demise of a System” because for all their knowledge and understanding, they, the Scientists, could not effectively engage with the public and politicians in a way that would change the harmful effects on the system.
    I assume your efforts are mindful of the attention and efforts put forth by Florida Division of Forestry, FWCC and University of Florida.
    Perhaps your research, input base will fill in field observation gaps?
    Great idea to reach out to Florida hunters!
    And above all.......” And Then What?”
    With credible info tabulated and profiled, how might you go forth and address the problem, rather than study the impacts of “ Invasive” that continue to flourish.
    ( By the way- if you become bored with the subject, comments here regarding “ Yankees “ might prove efficacious. Over population, “ Growth” assumptions/projections,growth “ Management “ far more compelling than invasive and Global Warming. Global Swarming ....😎⚓️👏)

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Yankees are the most invasive species on the list.  They have done the most damage.  Destroyed the most habitat.  Polluted the most, etc, etc, etc.  No research needed.  You know the 80/20 rule  right.  Well Yankees are 80!
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,327 Officer
    gladesman said:
    If one is looking for opinions/attitudes about invasive species - What could age or gender have to do with the answers. Maybe I am paranoid but to me age and gender open the door to biased interpretation leading to a possibly to a desired result. If I am wrong on this I apologize here and now - but my attitude  is a result of viewing more BS ideas/surveys/ideas from academia and government folks over the last 25 years than I care to remember.
    I feel the same and until the original Poster reply’s
    I see no reason any one should fill this research Paper out 
    JMHO 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 827 Officer
    texas cougars are the number one invasive species        tied for second are snakeheads and pythons          hogs are not on the list cause how can something that has been around longer then white people in florida be invasive.
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 442 Deckhand
    meateater said:
    texas cougars are the number one invasive species        tied for second are snakeheads and pythons          hogs are not on the list cause how can something that has been around longer then white people in florida be invasive.
    I guess the Spaniards that brought them are yellow
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,465 Admiral
    Well Tanned but white where the sun don't shine...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    Perhaps I am wrong in my opinion about this Survey, but this is what I think:
    Instead of collecting important information on what outdoorsmen-women actually think about invasive species, I think this is simply a teaching tool being used by a professor at Nova Southeastern to teach a student how to conduct a public opinion poll. ???
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,487 Captain
    edited March 2019 #14
    Its pretty easy to find out via google that there really is a Trishtan Sanders at Nova. He’s on the swim team apparently. Point is, this survey most likey legit and most likely just an innocent school project. I’ll do the survey.

For Tristan, the skepticism here of doing a survey with political ramifications is instructive as to how sportsmen and women feel government has treated their concerns in the past. Hunters and fisherpeople have been the first to raise the alarm on many issues but are also the first to be shut out of land access in south Florida, even though various other demographics such as anti-hunting environmentalists do little to solve problems in any practical way. Exotic species or over populated native species have to be killed bad [back] to restore balance. Period. Live capture and relocation fails every time.  Its a bitter pill than many anti hunters refuse to swallow. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,488 Captain
    edited March 2019 #15
    Tristan,

Do a survey on whether people who hunt and fish feel that the Fwc is changing from a pro hunting and fishing organization to one that tends towards listening and supporting animal rights activists and their causes. 

Ask them the same about Sfwmd, the nps, and any other agencies. 

I know how the Fwc perceives itself, duckmanjr is more than happy to tell me, but ask those who hunt and fish, who aren’t me, about that perception. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    To be sure, there is a constituency that shares H2O's viewpoint. There is value in that knowledge. However, most have a wider perspective of the role the referenced agencies fill and the value they provide to FL citizens. If the OP were to only read the thoughts shared in posts made here, he wouldn't obtain a representative sample of the differing views.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I never questioned the "legit" of the Survey. The questions were so simple and at the "middle school" level, that it appears to me the survey is actually a teaching tool on the part of the Nova Professor as opposed to collecting useful intelligence at the biological level.

The general population cannot be polled and expected to provide a lot of accuracy in wildlife biology and management. Our old wildlife professor who was nationally recognized as being the best in certain fields of wildlife management used to tell us in class "Fellas, if you have a question about wildlife management and you are unsure of your understanding of the issue, simply go down to the barber shop on Saturday morning and ask your questions there". We need smart, knowledgeable wildlife biologist to manage the state's wildlife populations, and the general public should be educated as to why/how management procedures are important/necessary, but public input on wildlife management should be kept at an absolute minimum and limited to factual biological management. Florida Bullfrog is "pinging all over the target" in his comment about exotic species and over-populations of native species--bears for instance. He knows for sure, but the general public does not know, so---we have no bear hunting to the best of my knowledge.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,487 Captain
    I never questioned the "legit" of the Survey. The questions were so simple and at the "middle school" level, that it appears to me the survey is actually a teaching tool on the part of the Nova Professor as opposed to collecting useful intelligence at the biological level.

The general population cannot be polled and expected to provide a lot of accuracy in wildlife biology and management. Our old wildlife professor who was nationally recognized as being the best in certain fields of wildlife management used to tell us in class "Fellas, if you have a question about wildlife management and you are unsure of your understanding of the issue, simply go down to the barber shop on Saturday morning and ask your questions there". We need smart, knowledgeable wildlife biologist to manage the state's wildlife populations, and the general public should be educated as to why/how management procedures are important/necessary, but public input on wildlife management should be kept at an absolute minimum and limited to factual biological management. Florida Bullfrog is "pinging all over the target" in his comment about exotic species and over-populations of native species--bears for instance. He knows for sure, but the general public does not know, so---we have no bear hunting to the best of my knowledge.
    I didn’t say you were questioning the legitness Woods. But others were, and I did myself at first glance. 
    To be sure, there is a constituency that shares H2O's viewpoint. There is value in that knowledge. However, most have a wider perspective of the role the referenced agencies fill and the value they provide to FL citizens. If the OP were to only read the thoughts shared in posts made here, he wouldn't obtain a representative sample of the differing views.
    Here’s what I love about your response. I didn’t tell him to do a survey to get my opinion, but to ask what others thought. But you are trying to spin it and tell him what others are thinking and are happy to speak for most. 

In my opinion you are also a mouth piece for the Fwc.   I wonder why you might be scared of what the hunting and fishin public actually think. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    👍👏
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    H20dad said:I wonder why you might be scared of what the hunting and fishin public actually think. 
    Not scared at all! LOL

There are some who share your view, obviously. Mostly SFL guys.

Just pointing out that, if the OP looks beyond the handful that frequent this page, he will find that there are many who have a different opinion than yours, including in SFL.
    H20dad said:I wonder why you might be scared of what the hunting and fishin public actually think. 
    Not scared at all! LOL

There are some who share your view, obviously. Mostly SFL guys.

Just pointing out that, if the OP looks beyond the handful that frequent this page, he will find that there are many who have a different opinion than yours, including in SFL.
    Again. You are telling everybody who has what opinion. All I’m saying is run the poll!
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 442 Deckhand
    survey completed.  Thank you for caring about our opinion & best of luck with your education.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 826 Officer
    I bet he's just writing a paper.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,465 Admiral
    He should Arm Wrestle FlattsMatt...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    H20dad said:
    Again. You are telling everybody who has what opinion. All I’m saying is run the poll!
    I haven't told anyone what anyone's opinion is.

What I  said was that the OP would need to look beyond this forum to get a representative sample of people's views on the topic you brought up which, incidentally, is different from the one the OP was asking about.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    He should Arm Wrestle FlattsMatt...
    Lol youre first.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement.