Home General Hunting

Osceola vs eastern or southern eastern.

zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,379 Officer
This is actually a 2 or 3 question discussion  I got 1 of the 200 pipeline turkey quotas for this Thursday through sunday in ocala forest first part is anyone have a opinion on birds gobbling before they roost as opposed to morning. I've done lots of scouting got plenty of hen sightings and gobbler tracks in sand but no physical sightings of gobbler or hearing gobbles  and it's all been first few hours of morning. I have the next two nights free from daughters softball games just wondered if it would be worth the hour drive before sunset to try and hear a gobbler. Certainly not discouraged because I know there there but we all know that gobble spikes everyone's blood pressure. 2nd question I've got 2 thermacell I use and above 60 degrees I have to basically velcro one to my forehead to keep these headaches from eating my eyeballs out. Just wondered if anyone wants to share a secret with these things turned on just the sound of butane being released kills my best sense  my ears. Deer hunting last year with mosquitos buzzing and thermacell on I basically had to forget about hearing a animal coming in and rely on my eyes. We all know a turkeys eyes are hundreds of times better than ours and I find myself way too fidgety not being able to hear. Should have posted this week's as go but just found out from wife I'll be able to hunt all four days and I already can't sleep. Any secrets will be appreciated  

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    I rarely hear mine and usually have to check to make sure it's still on. Never had a Turkey hear one either
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I also use thermacells, but also spray my clothing with Sawyer Bug Repellent.  It keeps them from landing on you and ticks and chiggers off you as well.  It is sold in Walmart back in the camping section next to the other bug sprays.  I spray my boots and headnet as well.  Let them dry and they say it lasts for 6 washings.  I recoat after 4.  

The gobbling is hit or miss right now in the evening.  I hunt a little north of Ocala.  I cant say dont bother going because we all love to hear them sounding off!  Good luck in the woods.
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Were the hens in groups or solo?
  • shempshemp Posts: 684 Officer
    I've only been able to roost turkeys a handful of times throughout FL and that has been on dead calm perfect evenings.  May have had more to do with hearing them vs them actually gobbling.  If you have a suspicion on where they are roosting and can get in early (5pm) and commit to stay till they cash in (8pm) to get out w/o spooking them you may be able to hear them fly up or see them on the limb

Don't know about OcNF, have not hunted there in last 2 decades
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,379 Officer
    All hens I've seen for some reason were still in trees at 8 or 9 am  that was before time change though. All solo. 
    I contracted Lyme disease in 2013 in Maryland so use permethrin religiuosly for ticks  but doesn't seem to keep skeeters away from my face thermacell is only thing I can use for them that seems to work. Guess I just gotta be more disciplined with head movement. 
    Even though only thing at time that was in season was "chasing" foxes with dogs every spot I've been too was loaded with fresh hound tracks and could hear them in distance still. Might be why hens were in trees they flew up after being spooked. Unfortunately chasing fix doesn't end till middle of April there I guess
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    I can't speak to hounds chasing and the impact that has on turkeys, but if you see calm solo hens walking around mid morning that is a good thing.  Means they are on nests and there is a lonely gobbler somewhere.  It also means you are in a nesting area and not a strutting zone.  When hens are on nest you have to be near his preferred strut zone.  Then it gets deadly!
    Another question I've never been able to find answer to was does a gobbler have to breed a hen before every time she lays a egg to be fertile  growing up with lots of chickens we would always get rid of rooster before collecting eggs to eat and they always seemed to have the bloody beginnings of life inside egg for couple days afterwards. 
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    A hen can lay a clutch of eggs from a single breeding. I've read somewhere that they may be able to have as many as 3 clutches from one breeding.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Save the gas and hunt the sign you have already scouted, hunted just north of there last weekend and skeeters aren’t to bad, had 3 hens within grabbing distance and they never heard the thermocell. I’m hunting just north this weekend and weather report has big weather event coming through tonight and mild temps for next few days. Good luck and report 
    I never heard or seen anything yesterday. This morning went back to same spot and heard two gobbles on roost few hundred yards away probavly same bird but hunted all day and never heard or seen one again. Absolutely loaded with fresh gobbler and hen tracks everywhere just since I left yesterday. Oh well two more days b nice to get on one. No shots either anywhere. Quite a few different vehicles parked around so guess I'm not only one. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    I'd go back to the fresh sign area. Just because you don't hear one gobble doesn't mean that they aren't there. Good luck.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes