Home Fly Fishing

Sunday Funday

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
Took a little drive south this morning to get in some exotics on the fly. Stop 1 was grass carp on berries. Took one that was about 20lbs on the 5wt then had another break the hook to the only berry fly i brought with me. If you haven't watched a big carp eat berries on the surface you're missing out. Way better than any trout rising to a dry fly. Second stop was to look for tarpon but they didn't feel like playing today. Lucky for me the tarpon spot is also the peacock spot. Found a bunch of nice size peacock including one that went about 5lbs. The rest were 2-3lbs . Plenty of tilapia and cichlids in the mix too. Made one more spot change to see if I would knock out a quick snakehead. No dice. Pulled one off and caught a few largeouths. Called it a day at 1pm. I did have a snake visit me which catching peacocks. I think it is a small python but not sure. I only know to stay away from snakes I can't ID.

Replies

• SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Looks like it was a fun day...
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,633 Captain
    dat's a python alright - where did you see it ?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 850 Officer
    It was in a canal near Holiday park. I'm sure if I ventured more into Holiday park I would see many more. If i knew if was a python for sure I would have killed it. I didn't want to kill if it was a water snake, cotton mouth or some other native snake
    edited March 2019 #5
    Not a cottonmouth- don’t mess with them. They’ll come after you in a heartbeat...

I've never seen a cottonmouth down here (and I came here in 1971...).  My teenage years were spent in North Alabama where cottonmouths are very common (and downright dangerous if you're close to one...).  At least a rattlesnake will give you a warning rattle then try to leave... That's not how cottonmouths behave at all (at least all the ones I came in contact with along one small creek or other...).  By the way - a cottonmouth is fully capable of biting under water....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I have seen cotton mouths in Cooper City. When I use to live down there until i was 8 we would come across one ever now and then but they have built it up alot since they so I don't see nearly as many snakes now when i go down there. They are a mean snake that I will agree. I have seen copperheads down there too but even more rare. I am surprised you have never seen one down there. I'm sure you see your fair share of pythons in the everglades.

Only seen three pythons - but have seen how we never see any roadkill involving mammals any more on the road down to Flamingo... 

Those darned snakes are just eating every warm blooded critter they can find... Very sad.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    We really do need to do something about them. If I saw one I knew for sure was a python i'd take it out but i'd have to be sure. Too bad the state can't find uses for these invasives that would get more people to target them and thin out their numbers some.
  • sa1280sa1280 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Nope not a python- it’s a Brown Water Snake, native critter that has a range of colors. Some are real dark and the pattern isn’t that evident. The one you saw was a nice light color so the square blotches really stand out. Glad you didn’t kill it!
    https://goo.gl/images/puWLi9