Home Egret Boats

Demo ride an Egret

csefiroth0csefiroth0 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
Anyone in the space coast area or northeast FL willing to let me demo their egret?  I am going to HBB in Titusville 3/13 and was hoping to test a Marquesa and a 189 in the same day. Hard to decision to make for me - I know the differences.  But I think it will come down to seeing and riding one in person.  I will kindly reimburse you for your time.   

Replies

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Contact Frank at factory and he will put you in touch with someone. 
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    It depends on what is important to you they are different boats. If you want a boat that is quiet and a better boat to pole then get the Marquesa. Otherwise, the 189 does everything else better.

I'm not sure that the folks at HBB will take their out out an inlet on the seatrial. They may say it for insurance reasons...Others may say they don't because they don't perform well in those conditions. But they weren't designed for that so it's ok. Good luck. 
    If you do find a ride on an 18 egret tell him you want to see how it runs at 40 MPH.  You'll also want to then step onto the Marquesa and try the same thing. 
  • csefiroth0csefiroth0 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Thanks Saltwater Junkie.  I’ve narrowed it down to those two.  I think they both have their pros and cons - I fish mostly flats and cross Tampa bay a lot which can get choppy.  Would make the decision easier if someone wouldn’t mind letting me demo one on the same day.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    edited March 2019 #6
    I've owned a 189 for 3 years and have spent time in a HHB Marquesa.
    The Marquesa does ride well for what it is. The sides are higher on the Egret & has a taller 23 inch transom plus it's 100% self bailing overboard nothing goes to the bilge from the deck or hatch gutters. Plus has way more storage. It won't pole as well and will have hull slap but it will be a more sea worthy boat and softer smoother ride in all conditions!

The Marquesa is not self bailing and has a open bilge area that all water drains into it to be pumped out from the deck and what ever would wash over the transom which is only 20 inches!

Hope this helps.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Thanks Saltwater Junkie.  I’ve narrowed it down to those two.  I think they both have their pros and cons - I fish mostly flats and cross Tampa bay a lot which can get choppy.  Would make the decision easier if someone wouldn’t mind letting me demo one on the same day.
    If you are crossing Tampa Bay I would shy away from the HBB.  I have a Saltwater Junkie built 98 Egret and it is a tough ride in my boat on a windy day.  I fish the South Shore primarily and the manatee zones are pretty far out so it can get rough.  If you are staying in the back bays only then the Marquesa would be fine, a good friend of mine guides out of one in St Pete.  He will take it on the beaches for Tarpon Season though.  My boat does not have a poling tower so I never pole so I can't comment on that for you.
    For me, my Egret is the smallest boat I would run in the 2 to 3's you get in Tampa Bay on a windy day.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Spook and Flatsboy. I see the appeal of the Egret in Tampa Bay and especially in Boca Grande.  Usually (even in my last boat which was a 24’ bay boat) I won’t go out if winds are too high.  Most of the fish I catch around here are in a foot of water or less - that’s why I was also thinking of HB.  I usually don’t bother with poling but I am interested in learning to fly fish.  They advertise their Biscayne and Marquesa models to draft in 7 inches and handle big water.  I believe it will all come down to a test drive.  
    Thanks Spook and Flatsboy. I see the appeal of the Egret in Tampa Bay and especially in Boca Grande.  Usually (even in my last boat which was a 24’ bay boat) I won’t go out if winds are too high.  Most of the fish I catch around here are in a foot of water or less - that’s why I was also thinking of HB.  I usually don’t bother with poling but I am interested in learning to fly fish.  They advertise their Biscayne and Marquesa models to draft in 7 inches and handle big water.  I believe it will all come down to a test drive.  
    Ok it's like this, you are not poling the boat. most likely using a trolling motor...now you don't have a quiet boat cause the trolling motor will make it draft more than poling and also make noise.

they say it handles big water...Here's the truth... you may think you have a big D!@# . But until a black chick tells you that you have a big D!@# your not all that. So you heard it here first they can't handle big water. The ride comparison between any of the HBB and the 189 Egret is like the difference between $h!@# and ice cream. 
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Here's the truth... you may think you have a big D!@# . But until a black chick tells you that you have a big D!@# your not all that. So you heard it here first they can't handle big water. The ride comparison between any of the HBB and the 189 Egret is like the difference between $h!@# and ice cream. 
    This is the quote of the century!  B)
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    I have a 189 up in JAX. What time would you be in town?
    I can be there Thursday 3/14 any time.
    Or 3/13 late afternoon 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 755 Officer
    Hey, I ended up taking the boat into the shop today, so I won't be able to help. Good luck, I think you'll really like the 189. 
    Dang.. any Tampa area peeps?
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy said:
    The Marquesa does ride well for what it is. The sides are higher on the Egret & has a taller 23 inch transom plus it's 100% self bailing overboard nothing goes to the bilge from the deck or hatch gutters. Plus has way more storage. It won't pole as well and will have hull slap but it will be a more sea worthy boat and softer smoother ride in all conditions!

The Marquesa is not self bailing and has a open bilge area that all water drains into it to be pumped out from the deck and what ever would wash over the transom which is only 20 inches!

Hope this helps.
    I've owned a 189 for 14 years and fished out of a Marquesa.  Fit and finish of the HB blows away the Egret.  Just look under the deck around the rod lockers.  The Marquesa will definitely get shallow and is a decent ride in the chop.  The Egret will handle chop much better.  But the new boats are not as safe in rough water as the older style boats.  On the new deck design the flush mounted fuel vent will suck in a lot of saltwater.  Probably the worst fuel system design out there.  Secondly the hatches are not weatherproof and a significant amount of the water on the deck will go into the compartments and then to the bilge. So the cockpit is self bailing but the deck is not.  People might lie and say the storage is dry but look at the gutter and hatch design yourself. Put some tape over the drain in the compartment and then pour some water on the latch and into the gutter.  See for yourself what gets into the compartment.  Or just watch this video

HB knows how to design a hatch and their storage is dry. 

edited March 2019 #17
    mbowers said:
    FlatsBoy said:

Hope this helps.
    I've owned a 189 for 14 years and fished out of a Marquesa.  Fit and finish of the HB blows away the Egret.  Just look under the deck around the rod lockers.  The Marquesa will definitely get shallow and is a decent ride in the chop.  The Egret will handle chop much better.  But the new boats are not as safe in rough water as the older style boats.  On the new deck design the flush mounted fuel vent will suck in a lot of saltwater.  Probably the worst fuel system design out there.  Secondly the hatches are not weatherproof and a significant amount of the water on the deck will go into the compartments and then to the bilge. So the cockpit is self bailing but the deck is not.  People might lie and say the storage is dry but look at the gutter and hatch design yourself. Put some tape over the drain in the compartment and then pour some water on the latch and into the gutter.  See for yourself what gets into the compartment.  Or just watch this video

HB knows how to design a hatch and their storage is dry. 

WAIT HOLD THE PHONE....AMERICAS NUMBER 1 EGRET OWNER/HATER SAYS:" The Egret will handle chop much better."

WOW Martin...You're making progress, you said something positive. Keep taking your medication it's working.
    edited March 2019 #18
    mbowers, I read your thread on your caulking issues and it is concerning.  Albeit it seems others on the forum have not had the leaks.  Can you explain your experience with saltwater getting in the fuel vent? 
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 558 Officer
    mbowers, I read your thread on your caulking issues and it is concerning.  Albeit it seems others on the forum have not had the leaks.  Can you explain your experience with saltwater getting in the fuel vent? 
    Others haven't had the fuel vent issue either. I've taken mine thru inlets and offshore enough times in the last 4 years that if I was going to have an issue it would have by now.  Somehow seawater has never made it in my hatches or fuel system no matter how many waves over the bow.

Ok it's like this, you are not poling the boat. most likely using a trolling motor...now you don't have a quiet boat cause the trolling motor will make it draft more than poling and also make noise.

they say it handles big water...Here's the truth... you may think you have a big D!@# . But until a black chick tells you that you have a big D!@# your not all that. So you heard it here first they can't handle big water. The ride comparison between any of the HBB and the 189 Egret is like the difference between $h!@# and ice cream. 
    I fished Tampa Bay this past Saturday in my Egret and by the afternoon the west wind kicked up and I had to run right at or slightly inside the manatee markers on the South Shore and it was rough, I would not have wanted to be in a HBB.  We crushed the snook, over 20 caught most in the 25 to 28 range and lost one in the upper 30's I could not stop.  I think I hear a back girl telling me what I knew all along. 
    Thanks for the input guys.  Still hoping to see one in person without going all the way to North Carolina.  I will be in St. Petersburg this Saturday. 
    My storage is always dry and my gutters work perfect.  My boat is old enough to drink and the fit and finish is still excellent. I cleaned the rod lockers two weekends ago and not one single crack or delamination. I was very impressed.  Yeah she has some dings but the boat is still solid and my buddy with a 26 Contender told me this past Saturday it is the best riding flats boat he has been on. I could only smile. I will say I had to add the fuel cap riser due to water in the gas but have not had a single issue since adding it. I live in Plant City so
    if you want to see one let me know.