Home Boating

Garmin Panoptix

Predator257Predator257 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
Looking at getting rid of my Humminbird Helix 9 that came with the boat and going to Garmin, maybe the 94+. Anybody using the panoptix, what do you think, and is it worth the $1500. My boat is a Xpress H24 Bay. Is the 94+ the way to go or any other recommendations? I didn’t start by looking at Garmin, but the features, price and ease of use impressed me along with good customer support. I need ease of use.

Replies

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    following as i am looking at the same thing

My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,744 Moderator
    I currently have two Garmin`s on on my boat  The echo MAP 90 and a 5 inch older model and at home at my desk a 3210 from 2007 that is still working. I use it to plan my trips in comfort.
    I would think  that speaks volumes for their durability.
    There will be a learning curve.
    Good luck.
    larrywitt

• tilemantileman Posts: 1,123 Officer
     I also run 2 Garmin Chartplotters , IMO they are super user friendly. 1 of mine is a 5"screen from 2004 and my other Garmin Echo Map 90 also. Now, I also run for my Bottom screen a Furuno, Great machine but no so user friendly. IMO .....look hard @ Garmin 
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Predator257Predator257 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input thus far. Garmin is looking like the way I’ll go. Really wondering specifically on the Panoptix add-on real time transducer. Is it worth the $1500? I think it’s cool, but is it truly useful?

• ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input thus far. Garmin is looking like the way I’ll go. Really wondering specifically on the Panoptix add-on real time transducer. Is it worth the $1500? I think it’s cool, but is it truly useful?

My buddy just put one on his boat. He is trying to learn it but it looks pretty awesome. Makes me want one more. I use to run hummingbird but now I have garmin echo on my current boat. I really like the unit and the learning curve wasn’t to bad. That panoptix just looks like the deal to me
    My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    Looking at getting rid of my Humminbird Helix 9 that came with the boat and going to Garmin, maybe the 94+. Anybody using the panoptix, what do you think, and is it worth the $1500. My boat is a Xpress H24 Bay. Is the 94+ the way to go or any other recommendations? I didn’t start by looking at Garmin, but the features, price and ease of use impressed me along with good customer support. I need ease of use.
    Look up this guy on YouTube Southern Reels Fishing.  He’s been putting up vids of fish hitting in real time.  Also says he’s finding fish where he wouldn’t have if using traditional finders.  My tax return is going towards one for sure.
    Thinking of not going with Garmin, heard some big negatives about the maps, and no way to fix. I will probably go Lowrance HDS12 Live. I may do a Florida Marine Tracks upgrade, and probably not go with the LiveSight transducer upgrade.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 810 Officer
    What have you heard about their maps that you can't fix?
  • FreeLinerFreeLiner Posts: 1,573 Captain
    Thinking of not going with Garmin, heard some big negatives about the maps, and no way to fix. I will probably go Lowrance HDS12 Live. I may do a Florida Marine Tracks upgrade, and probably not go with the LiveSight transducer upgrade.
    From what I can tell is the units that are compatible with Panoptix are capable of drawing/saving their own maps.

I am curious how Lowrances system will look.  Comes out in March right?
    mikenav said:
    Was talking to some older experienced gentlemen at Tampa Bass Pro. They seemed to know more than most people that have been behind the counter. They fish the Everglades a bunch and said that the Garmin would have them driving across the land while they were in the channel. That concerned me, but I realize that that may not be the norm. I don’t like the fact that regardless of how it functions, you are stuck with Garmin maps, no third party or choosing other maps for their closed proprietary system. They turned me on to Florida Marine Tracks and that looks like the real deal to me. That company also mentions all the Garmin customers who are unhappy with the maps and unable to put something else on their machine as it is a closed system ( I realize there is an aspect of marketing here also, and not necessarily the norm).
    FreeLiner said:
    From what I can tell is the units that are compatible with Panoptix are capable of drawing/saving their own maps.

I am curious how Lowrances system will look.  Comes out in March right?
    I don’t think you had to have Panoptix to map the bottom, that was a standard feature, I believe. I do think you needed Panoptix to have the 3D bottom map with the historical fish activity noted by the differant color dots. Garmin units will map 1’ contours, Lowrance will do 1/2’ contours.  The Lowrance also does a better picture showing the boat/water/bottom in a 3D picture without needing livescope. My favorite part of the Lowrance is the super sexy view that basically overlaps the chirp with the down view. Will be interesting what the Lowrance Real time system will look like. One of the Garmin forward views looks pretty crappy on their demo, just a bank that looks like a slopes wall. The view showing the tree and fish is pretty cool. Not willing to pay $1500 for it. Honestly I think just having a good picture of the bottom is all I need. I’ll be catching fish, not watching fish t.v. Ease of operation is probably a slight advantage to the Garmin, and  I have heard of their great customer service. Really leaning Lowrance right now.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 810 Officer
    mikenav said:
    Was talking to some older experienced gentlemen at Tampa Bass Pro. They seemed to know more than most people that have been behind the counter. They fish the Everglades a bunch and said that the Garmin would have them driving across the land while they were in the channel. That concerned me, but I realize that that may not be the norm. I don’t like the fact that regardless of how it functions, you are stuck with Garmin maps, no third party or choosing other maps for their closed proprietary system. They turned me on to Florida Marine Tracks and that looks like the real deal to me. That company also mentions all the Garmin customers who are unhappy with the maps and unable to put something else on their machine as it is a closed system ( I realize there is an aspect of marketing here also, and not necessarily the norm).
    I know those guys at Bass Pro and they are WAY good. Very knowledgeable. That being in the water and showing on land on the plotter is not unique to Garmin. I've heard of it with several other companies as well. I always attributed it to the internal GPS of the machine, and there should be a way to calibrate that. (I don't know what or how that is).

As for the Garmin maps. Beginning this week (or very soon at the very least), they are coming out with their G3 maps which have what they are calling the "Best of Navionics" integrated into them. So, you are correct that you will only be able to use Garmin charts, but this new integration should improve them. That includes the 1-foot contours and all the good things Navionics brings with it.  
    Actually, the most knowledgeable guys so far, the ones I talked to there, were customers. But, yes, the guys that worked at the Tampa Bass Pro were very Knowledgeable as was a guy at the Montgomery AL store, he was a huge Garmin Fan but had nothing bad to say about the Lowrance. Not much luck with info on these things at the Gainesville store.