Home Tropics

Bimini Wahoo Bite Info?

catchemupcatchemup Posts: 484 Deckhand
Anyone able to share any timely info? Going over next week to fish the new moon. Thanks.

Replies

• CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
    The bite has been consistent lately both HST and slow trolling with meat. I don't think that you will receive any specifics on a public forum. However, I used to fish for wahoo in Bimini for about 20 years ending a few years ago. So I can assure you there are no secrets and most of the fish are caught right out front of Sands and a few miles south. If not much luck there, try the Isaacs. 
    The moon, tides and pressure change have the most influence on wahoo feeding. If you would like a few specifics, please feel free to pm me. Btw, did you attend our wahoo seminar with Capt Ron?
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 484 Deckhand
     Yes I did attend the seminar and have known Ron for more than 40 years. Sounds like you and I have similar experience. Planned my next trip around the full moon and  strong tidal flows due next week. Was just interested how the season has been so far.  Nailed some 50 pounders 2 trips ago...don't want to discuss last trip though! I was the guy wearing the custom guide T-shirt. Thanks for your reply.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 1,117 Officer
    A friend fished Bimini last Sunday, 12/16, and didn't get a single wahoo on either tide.  Talked to some guys at Bimini that had been there for three days and got only one wahoo.  By contrast, my friend went to Cay Sal yesterday, 12/18 and got 14 wahoo in 3.5 hours of fishing.  No real big fish, but they were all between 25 and 45 lbs.
    Thanks for the info. Had to cancel the trip at the last minute. While the weather looked great for the trip over, the return forecast showed seas of 12 ft...and so it goes.
  • zh50zh50 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Went yesterday 12/30 on my 25 contender. Went  4/6  in the afternoon nothing too big all 15-25lbs. Only fished in front of the island from the sands to resorts world. Fished an hr this morning 12/31 no bites and ran back to Boca.
  • probate-rprobate-r Posts: 419 Deckhand
    Any recent updates or has everyone been hiding out from the wind?
    Intrepid 370 - "My Favorite"
  • Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Crossing Sunday, will report. Went 1/20/2019 and went 0/3 south of Bimini.
    31 years old, fishing Flamingo for 32 years

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    how do you go 0 for 3  on wahoo ??
  • Lostmen DanLostmen Dan Posts: 86 Deckhand
    how do you go 0 for 3  on wahoo ??
    Green crew and big fish, but thanks for asking!

One good bite and one fish landed Sunday before the Super Bowl. Had one other fish hit the lead and donated a cowbell. Pair of gaffer dolphin to add to the pot along the way. Back home and cleaned up by 5, not a bad deal.
    31 years old, fishing Flamingo for 32 years

• zh50zh50 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Heading over Saturday just for the night. Leaving from Boca early if anyone wants to buddy over.
    Recently fishing off  Miami, we had slow action so we wanted to see if speed trolling for wahoo [instead of our usual Bimini] could scare something up and  if it would pay off. So we broke out the 50 wides curved butt outfits and did some speed trolling from 150' to 300’. After a while we pushed the speed up and a notch and immediately got slammed. The fish melted the line of the sole 30# outfit we were using. After the run…we had some terrific head shakes and then he  charged to the boat. Ultimately the wahoo was unintentionally released probably 60'-80’ from the boat. While the fish was ultimately lost..it was still exciting having the hook up. Conditions were right as we are coming up on a big full moon and we did have a blistering current. So the plan did work…just ended wrong. Perhaps we will have to plan on some more speed trolling locally when conditions are right.