Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

F.I.T. probable ramp fees beginning in October

2»

Replies

• EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 403 Deckhand
    We will be getting an annual pass. We use fort island trail way to much to pay $10 a trip.  It would be awesome to add some parking on the left as u pull into ft island trail ramp. You could put 50+ Back in spots between the road and guard shack.  And 100+ going to the dock.  It needs it that ramp is insane 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,164 Officer
    There are no free ramps where I fish. Part of doing business. Gotta pay to play. Or get a kayak. Launching a boat isn’t a right, it is a luxury. Sorry to hear it’s going to hurt, but no different than boat maintenance costs of increased fuel prices.
    a fee is ok/acceptable. 10 bucks is rather stiff. $5 would be adequate. That's rate in Hernando cnty.
    its one thng to charge fees for maint., but to make $ of us is not right.
    it is different than those things you mentioned. Imagine if you had to pay an extra 10 bucks everytime you put your yak in the water...or an extra 10 bucks to drive car on pkwy or 75 ea trip.  
    $15 for scallopers.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    permit_me said:
    There are no free ramps where I fish. Part of doing business. Gotta pay to play. Or get a kayak. Launching a boat isn’t a right, it is a luxury. Sorry to hear it’s going to hurt, but no different than boat maintenance costs of increased fuel prices.
    a fee is ok/acceptable. 10 bucks is rather stiff. $5 would be adequate. That's rate in Hernando cnty.
    its one thng to charge fees for maint., but to make $ of us is not right.
    it is different than those things you mentioned. Imagine if you had to pay an extra 10 bucks everytime you put your yak in the water...or an extra 10 bucks to drive car on pkwy or 75 ea trip.  
    $15 for scallopers.
    Usually you can find a free kayak launch. And, I do pay to use toll roads when available. $10 is hi, but I bet there will be a annual pass that will be significantly less expensive. But as I said before and will say again , it is a luxury. If you can’t afford it , find another way. Once your over 65 you don’t have to pay for a fishing license anymore, so there is that. Boat ramp fees keep the parking down, and provide security at some of my local county ramps. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I've got no problem with ramp fees, but, people who pay state and local taxes and for other types of expensive licenses should definitely pay less than those that don't.  A fee structure that addresses the needs and usage rates of commercial fishermen, guides, senior citizens, Florida residents, non-residents, etc. would be best.

Enforcement will be a big problem.  As it is now, parking, and trash are out of control at many ramps.  If there's little or no enforcement of basic rules, how are fees going to be managed?  Are more folks going to be hired to collect and enforce fees?  If so, will fees need to be even higher to pay these extra people?
    Vertigo said:
    I've got no problem with ramp fees, but, people who pay state and local taxes and for other types of expensive licenses should definitely pay less than those that don't.  A fee structure that addresses the needs and usage rates of commercial fishermen, guides, senior citizens, Florida residents, non-residents, etc. would be best.

Enforcement will be a big problem.  As it is now, parking, and trash are out of control at many ramps.  If there's little or no enforcement of basic rules, how are fees going to be managed?  Are more folks going to be hired to collect and enforce fees?  If so, will fees need to be even higher to pay these extra people?
    Or if they enforce the fees, then there is your money. Usually you put a tag on your dash, pretty easy to see who is in violation. A couple of sweeps through the lot a day would do it 
    At minimum, for a few speeps a day plus paperwork, just for Citrus Co. ramps (about 18 public that I can think of) there would have to be more than a few new hires plus transportation and equipment.  The average for parking enforcement workers in the U.S. is about $33,500 per year plus health benefits, retirement, etc.  Adding new county employees would not be cheap.  Collecting $5 per ramp use for every ramp in the county would probably just pay for two employees, with nothing left for maintenance and upkeep.

My point is that just the enforcement of ramp fees cost's the county money, but without enforcement, fees are meaningless, so, if the county starts to collect fees, the first big chunk of money will go to pay salaries, and not for ramp maintenance and upkeep.

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,164 Officer
    wells put. making the gov't even bigger.
    which is it: make gov't smaller and suffer or expand and wallow in the quagmire?
     - or -
     maybe just manage it a little better ???

but u is right, if you got a boat you got some sort of $. many can't afford to even own a boat let alone the increase in fees, especially this tax season  :s 
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,022 Admiral
    I was talking to a warden down there about the availability of water and power so I could pressure wash the algae off the ramp. 

He didn’t want me to :D said he sits in his truck and watches the entertainment on his lunch break. 
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,518 AG
    nick said:
    I was talking to a warden down there about the availability of water and power so I could pressure wash the algae off the ramp. 

He didn’t want me to :D said he sits in his truck and watches the entertainment on his lunch break. 
    Peasants!  I do my own boat ramp maintenance. (before pic). :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,022 Admiral
    You also eat redfish and black drum. 😂😂😂

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,518 AG
    And fresh gulf mullets too!! Yes indeedy! 

nick said:
    You also eat redfish and black drum. 😂😂😂

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,901 Admiral
    I can't believe you guys are concerned with a launch fee. Unless you are guide launching every day. It is a drop in the bucket compared to the other expense owning a boat.
    Whats the best policy?  Making only ramp users pay for ramp maintenance and management or making every county resident share the cost?  Before you answer, consider:

Every resident's tax dollar goes, in part, for public schools whether or not they have children in school.  We do this because having an educated populace benefits us all.

Every resident's tax dollar goes, in part, for road and infrastructure maintenance whether or not they own a car.  We do this because good roads and infrastructure benefit us all.

A part of every resident's tax dollar goes to support police, fire and emergency services.  We're happy to pay although we may never need those services.

Boat ramps bring revenue to the county.  Boaters and fishermen drop bucks at not only tackle shops but also gas stations, restaurants, hotels and motels, grocery stores, clothing stores, and almost any other commercial enterprise you can think of...even pawn shops on occasion.  Having well maintained boat ramps benefits just about every county resident.  Shouldn't we all be glad to fund them from tax revenues?  

It's going to cost money just to collect money from ramps, further, having fees for ramp usage might actually turn out to be counter productive in that boaters just might decide to take their business elsewhere.   

I'm playing devil's advocate here and I actually wouldn't mind paying a ramp fee for a well maintained and uncrowded ramp, but the issue is not as simple as it might first appear.
    Vertigo said:
    Whats the best policy?  Making only ramp users pay for ramp maintenance and management or making every county resident share the cost?  Before you answer, consider:

Every resident's tax dollar goes, in part, for public schools whether or not they have children in school.  We do this because having an educated populace benefits us all.

Every resident's tax dollar goes, in part, for road and infrastructure maintenance whether or not they own a car.  We do this because good roads and infrastructure benefit us all.

A part of every resident's tax dollar goes to support police, fire and emergency services.  We're happy to pay although we may never need those services.

Boat ramps bring revenue to the county.  Boaters and fishermen drop bucks at not only tackle shops but also gas stations, restaurants, hotels and motels, grocery stores, clothing stores, and almost any other commercial enterprise you can think of...even pawn shops on occasion.  Having well maintained boat ramps benefits just about every county resident.  Shouldn't we all be glad to fund them from tax revenues?  

It's going to cost money just to collect money from ramps, further, having fees for ramp usage might actually turn out to be counter productive in that boaters just might decide to take their business elsewhere.   

I'm playing devil's advocate here and I actually wouldn't mind paying a ramp fee for a well maintained and uncrowded ramp, but the issue is not as simple as it might first appear.
    Agree, but what about the guy from Georgia?  Some boaters spend money locally, some gas up in Ga because it’s cheaper, and get tackle at Walmart cause it’s cheaper then come to your county ramp, which you pay for with your tax dollars and the guy from Georgia didn’t pay a cent to launch, but also used the trash can and the bath rooms at the gas station. Got his 3 man limit of trout and back to Georgia, sure the tiny out of state license cost a little more, but you get the point, the guy could be from Leon county.  Also playing devils advocate. 
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    Just as an example I heard lots of complaints about Cedar key raising the ramp fee again. i went there on Sat and the place was bumping. It's a great place for certain types of fishing. I have to say I do launch other places a little more often because of the fee, but the main reason i launch at other places is the rule about boat spaces after 9am are free for all. I came back to get the truck and had a little car crammed up to my johnboat trailer just so he could fit in the space with me. Jack woad! 
    I'd just pay the year fee if I regularly use the F.I.T. ramp. I did that with Taylor county and even on a slow year I am saving about 50% of what I did with paying each time.
    I got a boat, it's just a service fee to me. If you can't pay to play you might want to dial back on some other toys!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,533 Moderator
    Half the money for ramp maintenance . Half for no-seeum control. 

I'm in ...
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ReelthiefReelthief Fort Lauderdale Posts: 127 Deckhand
    StankBait said:
    "With the County Commissioners estimating at least $250,000 / year revenue from the ramps we should get some needed expansion and improvements. "

The $$$ will just be spent on on other stuff. What a great money maker for the Bureaucrats. Ramps will see little of it.
    Just another pot of gold to split up by the politicians.
    Unfortunately stinkbait is correct. This is the reality of it. I'm a city worker of 31 years and watched this same scenario play out in South Fl. The positive in this is it gives more weight to any complaints of lack of maintenance or upgrades to the facilities. You guys have a beautiful  county up there, much like down here when I was growing up. Hope you can keep the politicians out of your living rooms. Good luck
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Why wait until October, start charging at the beginning of Scallop season to get the revenue flowing....
    So if Yankee town charges a fee also will they improve that area.?
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    The Bird Creek ramp (Rt 40, 3 miles past Yankeetown) is due for improvement soon: however since it's in Levy Co., not Citrus, and maintained by Levi Co., there has been no public discussion of a fee.  OTOH, the Yankeetown Community ramp located on Riverside Dr. is maintained by the town of Yankeetown and there is a $3 fee for non-residents.  
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I bet there are a lot of totally unimproved dirt boat ramps that have great parking. Vote with your wallet and use one of those. I quit using the Cedar Key ramp completely. 15 bucks is one thing, having no place to park once you pay the fee is what pissed me off.
  • ocalaocala Posts: 206 Deckhand
    Call it what it is. A Tax. 
    They just just conveniently call it a ramp fee.
    Aren't we taxed enough! Everything is taxed and we're just supposed to sit back and take it.
    BS!!
    All this is is organized legal theft courtesy of the county. 
    I hate politicians. 
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 238 Deckhand
    I am one of those from another county. I would understand and pay if non-residence had to pay more. I might actually be happy about it if I was convinced that all moneys over the cost of collecting the fee, was demonstrably put into facility improvements.  Other than slick ramps, I don't have any complaints with either of the Fort Island launches. Does the county maintain the ramp at MacRae's. It is a little congested but still nice.