1720 with a 140?

DittonDitton Posts: 77 Greenhorn
With my 115 etec turning 1000 on the hour meter I have been contemplating motors for when that sad day comes. Anyone out there with something bigger than a 115 on their 1720? Or hell, just rode in or seen one? Suzuki has a very reasonably priced 140 that has some gears turning in my head...

Replies

• vtxridervtxrider MiamiPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    I just repowered with a Suzuki 115 and will let you know my results when I have some data.

I did a lot of research deciding between the 115 and 140.  As you may know it's difficult give the lack of data and torque curves published on outboards.  From everything I have read combined with what I know about engines with very similar blocks and components, I believe that there is very little real world difference between the 115 and 140.  They should perform the same from the lower RPM range through the middle range.  Most difference is probably in the upper RPM range and probably above 5000 RPM through the WOT max of 6200.

Given this belief, I am hoping that the 115 will give me a top speed in low to mid 40s and an easy cruise at 3500 RPM.  For me and my area I think there will be few opportunities to go WOT so I chose the save $1000 and go 115.

Right now I am just starting the break in so I'll let you know what I see.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,124 AG
    The 140 is just a tuned up version of the same block as the 115 correct?  so weight isn't an issue they should weigh the same.   Just seems like massive overkill to have that much on a 17' boat. 

sportsman makes an island reef 19 that I thought the 140 would be perfect for but it's only rated for a 115 too.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    My 1720 is rated for 135, I understand some were rated for 150.

Yes the 140 is a tuned up version with some component differences between the 115.  Actually the 140 weighs about 5 lbs less than the 115 mainly I think due to a different intake manifold from what I've read.  

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,200 Captain
    I had a 135 Optimax on my 1720... it would max out right at 50 in the right conditions but typically it was more like 48.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • oaksoaks Posts: 105 Deckhand
    17 Bayrunner w/ Yam 130. 47mph w/ the 4 blade 19 pitch. 54 w/ 3 blade 21...
    Boat is rated for a 150... I wouldnt want a 150..  boat wouldnt stay in the water,,,4 blade works the best with the jackplate for how and where I fish. 
    I guess I never came back here to update this with some numbers with the Zuke 115.  I'm running the Suzuki 3 blade 21" prop and hit 42 with a light load but still have a tiny bit of throttle left.  I'm guessing I could run the 22" and hit 43-44 and still hit the redline with a light load.  For now, I like that I can run heavy and still have good hole shot and not load down the motor with the 21".  Who knows I may try the 22" some day just to see the difference.

Also at WOT I'm getting about 3.9 MPG
    Running around 3500 RPM at about 18 MPH or so I'm just below 6 MPG
    I'm surprised your mpg and speed is that low at 3500 rpms... have you tried messing with your trim and maybe getting up to 4000 rpms? 
    For reference I'm right at 5.5 mpg in an action craft 2020 at 3700 rpms, 40 mph turning a 24" prop on a Pro XS 200.

Actually I have to double check that, I've figured out my GPS does not register speed very well.  The WOT speed was off my phone which seems to be pretty accurate.  But you may be right on the 3500 RPM speed which was from my GPS
    Just me, or no way to edit a post here after you posted?

Also the Optimax I think is just a more efficient engine.

On top of the above, I'm starting to think that I am burning a bit less fuel than my computer tells me.  It's a new to me boat with a new engine.
    edited February 21 #12
    Yeah those fuel burn #'s are educated guesses by the ecu usually... who knows, mine could be way off also.
    And yes, the optis are typically regarded as pretty efficient motors.

To edit click on the grey sprocket to the left of your icon on the post you want to edit.  
    As long as the fuel burn numbers are consistent I don't care too much, once I figure if and how much it's off but that should take a few more tanks.  I'm pretty happy though if 6 MPG is where I am at most efficient cruise.
    Yeah 6 mpg is definitely nothing to sneer at.
    I noted a bit this weekend, I think I was at 4500-4600 RPM running 30 MPH burning 4.9 GPH so right around 6.1 MPG.  Pretty happy if you ask me, I'm pretty sure I would have been getting slightly better economy going a bit slower but the water was a bit to calm to run any slower :-)
    Did a bit more testing today with a light boat myself a cooler and a pretty full tank.  I think the center live well was filled to the lower fill level.

3700 at 21 MPH at 3.3 GPH - 6.4 MPG
    4000 at 25 MPH at 4.0 GPH - 6.25 MPG
    4500 at 30 MPH at 4.9 GPH - 6.1 MPG
    Nice!

• reaperace1720reaperace1720 FlPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    I have an e-tec 135 ho. 148 hp at prop. Lighter than a four stroke 115 , and two stroke umph! My 1720 ac will rip along at 55+ with my three blade 19+15-1/4 but is not stable when turning, so i put a four blade 19+14-1/4 and she will stick it at 50 mph no problem!