Home Boating

Trim Tabs, need advice

SwatSwat Posts: 6 Greenhorn
Hello, I'm looking for some opinions/advice on Trim Tabs.
Boat is 2003 ProLine 22 WA powered by Merc 200. Mostly inshore/near shore boat use, less than 10 miles offshore on the gulf side.
I'll be doing the installation myself.  So, Bennett or Lenco? Bennett hydraulic, or Bennett electric? 18 inch span, or 24?
Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Replies

• NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
    I have had my boat 13 years and never a problem with Lenco trim tabs.  Use them all the time,  Probably 18" on a 28' boat.
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    They both work fine. I have bennet and they are hyrdraulic and no major issues for 20 yrs.   Had the pump crap out once and they sent me a new one for free.  Great customer service according the reviews.  I think the lencos are all electric only.  Im sure each is equally effective and probably cant go wrong with either..
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,806 Captain
    Leno a little easer to install. And less components.  Bennet stands behind their product better than any company I have ever felt with. I tried to buy some O rings from them to rebuild my 20 something year old rams. They said give me your address, and they sent them to me free. 
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,123 Officer
    Bought my boat in 2004 and it had Lenco TT's on her since then I've replaced one, there fast and easy to replace. The only thing they do eat electricity. I wouldn't change. 
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,420 Officer
    I bought a used boat with Bennett Hydaulic trim tabs and in the 10 years I owned it they worked perfectly.  Mine was a heavy 23 I/O with the smaller tabs.
  • SwatSwat Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the input - I appreciate the advice.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 993 Officer
    I actually have both Bennet Hydraulics (on my 27), and Bennet Bolts on my 20 Mako. Love the Bolts, but same as the Lencos they are really radical compared to the hydraulics. Still, I'm thinking of retrofitting Bolts where the hydraulics are because they respond so much quicker. 
  • 1982mako2241982mako224 Posts: 412 Deckhand
    As mentioned electric tabs are incredibly responsive.  I have a similar sized boat to the OP and run 12x12" tabs and they are plenty.
  • horseradishhorseradish Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Bennet used to be great with wonderful customer service and warranty when Tabman was their rep. Now anything breaks the whole system is down because it operates off of a central hydraulic pump. They now send you to the tender mercies of WestMarine! 

Lenco is made up of two separate elecrric motors. When one breaks you install another yourself.

I've had Bennets on for separate boats and when I bought the Pioneer 17.5 Bay  I had lenco installed!  
    A SeaStrike 180 with 115 Yam , A Calm Wife and a Spunky Cairn Terrier. IT'S ALL GOOD!
  • Keyed-upKeyed-up Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Have Lencos on my center console and Bennet hydraulics on my flats boat. In 6 years use I had one actuator fail on the Lencos while in 8 years I have had 2 pumps fail on the Bennets as well as the cap on one of the actuators blow off.   I have no experience with Bennet Bolts.  I f I were to buy a new set, I would buy Lencos. 
  • SwatSwat Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate the comments.

- swat
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Swat said:
    Hello, I'm looking for some opinions/advice on Trim Tabs.
    Boat is 2003 ProLine 22 WA powered by Merc 200. Mostly inshore/near shore boat use, less than 10 miles offshore on the gulf side.
    I'll be doing the installation myself.  So, Bennett or Lenco? Bennett hydraulic, or Bennett electric? 18 inch span, or 24?
    Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Bennett electric, bolt i think is the model that i installed happy whit them