Replies

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,607 Captain
    edited February 2019 #32

Straight weight or blend?......
    I heard 30 Wt. best
    😎
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,948 AG
    just used oil, pour a little around a pine tree, been used for years if you like hogs..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    One of the benefits......or banes depending on how you look at it.......of being on site almost all the time here in the woods is that we see the small and subtle changes of all sorts of things. In the instance of hogs they will pick up and move for no apparent reason ( Trust me.....they had a reason......we just don't know it. )

We've been working a sounder for over 2 weeks, trying to get them to follow in down the road to a trap. That a wise old sow will not trap is no surprise but to have had them working down the road a good 300 yards following a corn drizzle and then disappear is frustrating.

Not just quit following but move!

Seen this sort of thing to many times. When it's time to go they go.......and only the hog really knows why.  
  • jimglassjimglass Posts: 130 Deckhand

After more than 12 weeks of hog hunting I finally had a shot last night and managed to miss.   I had pictures of this hog the last 3 nights, over 200lb.  I had a hunch he would show up early in the evening and he did, 7:15 pm.   He must have winded me because he was about to exit the area before reaching the bait pile where I would of had a clear shot.    Lots of trees and vegetation prevent a clear shot at the beast but I fired anyway and the hog ran off before I could get off another shot.    We head back to Illinois 2 weeks from today (Unless we extend our stay in Florida).   Not sure if i'll get another shot.

It has been an off year for wild hunting, even the locals can't explain why the wild hogs are out of sight.  At first I thought my lease was to wet to attract and hold wild hogs eating acorns elsewhere.   Could be someone has been trapping the hogs.   There were so many last year could be someone was forced into trapping them.

I went scouting for wild hogs nearly everyday.   Walked for miles on foot, rode my 10-speed mountain bike through miles of Wild life Management areas, drove my Ford Focus through places I shouldn't have, talked to lots of people.  I lashed tree stands to my 10-speed  bike and rolled them 1/2 mile out into the WMA.   Worked amazingly well and I had the 10-speed to ride back to the parking lot.    I'm becoming well known in the area for hunting wild hogs.   People come up to me all the  time asking me about my hunting adventures and telling me about theirs.  People I have never met before seem to know me.

Below is the video shot through my thermo Imaging scope.  Hope it is not my last.  It is a YouTube video so it should play:

[url]

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 429 Deckhand
    edited February 2019 #36
    Darn sorry about your luck there Jim