Help me a little with surf fishing

AarrowheadAarrowhead GreenhornPosts: 4 Greenhorn
I am new to surf fishing. But I have watched Larry Pompano videos. Been fishing south of SR520 near Cocoa Beach. Been getting a few whiting, spots, blues  less than 12”. Some days that and some days nothing. That’s my recent experience.

The question I have is about location and conditions. Things like what makes surf fishing better? High tide, receding tide, low tide? High waves, some waves, no waves? Early morning? Current from the south, north?Current from the south seems to bring me abundant sargasso. How do you pick a place to fish? There are lots of places to access. What makes one better than another? Any help you could offer would be appreciated. I am just trying to figure some things out. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• th19999th19999 Deckhand Posts: 162 Deckhand

Follow this link or just search for "reading the beach". The youtube videos are pretty long. The person teaches alot on what to look for instead of just pulling up to a random spot and blind casting. They are very informative.

Hope this helps
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks Greenhorn OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    YouTube what he said, reading the beach.  Then go out and try it.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Captain Posts: 1,638 Captain
    I am new to surf fishing. But I have watched Larry Pompano videos. Been fishing south of SR520 near Cocoa Beach. Been getting a few whiting, spots, blues  less than 12”. Some days that and some days nothing. That’s my recent experience.

The question I have is about location and conditions. Things like what makes surf fishing better? High tide, receding tide, low tide? High waves, some waves, no waves? Early morning? Current from the south, north?Current from the south seems to bring me abundant sargasso. How do you pick a place to fish? There are lots of places to access. What makes one better than another? Any help you could offer would be appreciated. I am just trying to figure some things out. Thanks for the help.
    Those are all great questions. I live in NE Fl, so I’ll tell you know what I like. Remember, nothing is etched in stone. Clean, not clear water with some surf and current. As a rule, I prefer a current coming from the north. The best tide depends on the shape of the beach. A steep beach is better at high tide, and a flat beach is better at low tide. Look for runouts at low tide. The runouts will be easy to find, because they will be large puddles that drain into the ocean at low tide. The runouts will be prime at high tide. A shelly beach will hold more fish. Bring a cast net for mullet, and learn to find sand fleas.  Walk the beach and ask other fishermen how/what they are doing?

I hope this helps...
  • AarrowheadAarrowhead Greenhorn Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thankyou for your help. You have answered some great questions that apply to the area I am fishing.
  • One DropOne Drop Deckhand Posts: 163 Deckhand
    I'm in NE Fla as well and Sea-Squatch nailed it.  Good luck and post your reports so we can track our spring run with one another.