Home General Fishing

Casting Net for travel

BowlboundgmanBowlboundgman Posts: 10 Greenhorn
I travel to the keys a few times a year and want to buy a small casting net. I mostly fish the shore and bridges and would like a to find some live bait but need a small net for my suitcase. Is it a ridiculous idea to buy a 3 1/2 foot casting net 3/8? I usually just buy ballyhoo and shrimp when I am in the keys 

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Just buy a cheap 5 or 6' net from wal mart while you're there.  Before you leave hand it to some kid fishing on a pier and wish him luck.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,232 Moderator
    You can also store the net in a mesh bag and it will fit most anywhere.  You don't have to keep it in the bucket it comes in.  And like km says, get a 5 or 6' net   A 3.5 net is kinda worthless for catching bait unless you are right on top of them in 6" of water
  • HooknCooksHooknCooks OrlandoPosts: 83 Greenhorn
    Could use let-go or similar site too.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    kmagnuss said:
    Just buy a cheap 5 or 6' net from wal mart while you're there.  Before you leave hand it to some kid fishing on a pier and wish him luck.
    This would be a lot easier than packing all of that lead in a suitcase. Don’t bother with a net any smaller as jh said
    You should have been here yesterday
  • EdBEdB Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Packing a handful of sabiki rigs would be easier?
  • th19999th19999 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    I beleive that after you unpack the cast net and use it, it will never be as compact as when you purchased it. Also it may get a little funky smell inside your suitcase.

I agree with the posters above either buy a cheap wal mart cast net and give it away to a kid (I like that idea) or bring sabiki rigs.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 114 Deckhand
    I have a 6' diameter net and I am able to get it balled up and stuffed into a frabill trolling bucket.  Works well as a live bait system.  A 3.5' net might just be an exercise in frustration unless you are a sniper with it.

Not mad about the suggestion of giving away the net to a kid, but I would be sad to know that a net I gave away ended up in the ocean and didn't get disposed of properly when someone ripped it up or was ready to move on from it.  Choose wisely lol.  Even if you buy a new $20-30 net every time you go to the keys you are still probably spending less then what you were buying bait.  
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 962 Officer
    If you can find a $20 to $30 net in the keys I would be shocked. 70 to 80 would be more like it.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    I have a very nice Tim Wade 7 footer....it is awesome. 

I also have a wallyworld cheap-o 5 footer....and in winter when bait is scarce...and likes to hover over oysters... I can still take that shot....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,098 AG
    Either buy a cheap net when you're there, or (what I would recommend is to) simply learn to use a sabiki.
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 151 Deckhand
    If you don't want to give away a $50 cast net or stick a smelly net in your suitcase on the way home you can mail it back home. Stuff it in a USPS flat rate box and mail it. A box 11.25" x 8.75" x 6" costs $12.80 to mail. Not sure what size net fits in that but the next bigger size is 12.25" x 12.25" x 6" for $16.10.