Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Gator recipes

Bagged our first gator ever and just got our tenderized meat back from the processor.  Let’s here your favorite alligator recipes.

Replies

• TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 349 Deckhand
    batter and fry like fish nuggets- or gator fajitas. Find gator seafood sausage recipe  for ground gator mix with hush puppy mix and eggs and make fish cakes or gator balls. or stuff red hot chili peppers batter and deep fry.
    gator seasfood susage is mostly old bay and peppers 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 195 Deckhand
    edited September 2018 #4
    I dont know that this will work with the tenderized meat (maybe cook it for less time to keep it from turning to mush) but I made gumbo yesterday in the crock pot. This is creole style before anyone jumps on me about putting tomatoes and okra in it. I made it last night for dinner and my wife who is still coming around to the idea of eating wild game went back for seconds. 

Gumbo
    • 1 bone in or deboned alligator leg (should about fill the bottom of a 6qt crock pot)
    • 1 lb andouille (or other smoked sausage)
    • 1 lb peeled shrimp (optional)
    • 1 diced green bell pepper
    • 1 sliced onion
    • 2 sticks of celery- chopped
    • 4 cloves minced garlic
    • 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh chopped okra
    • 1 can stewed tomatoes
    • 1-1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
    • 1/2 tsp cayene pepper
    • 1/2 tsp tyme
    • 1/2 tsp oregano 
    • 2 bay leaves 
    Roux
    • 6 tbsp peanut oil
    • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    • Mix together and cook over medium heat until dark red/brown

Combine all of the gumbo ingredients except for the shrimp in a 6 qt crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Remove the bones from the gator, shred the meat, and add it back to the pot. Taste the gumbo at this point and add more seasonings to taste. Make the roux and add slowly to the gumbo, stirring as you pour (it will splatter if you pour too fast or don't stir. You can also add a spoonful of the broth to the roux to cool it first but this will also splatter). Cook for another 1-2 hours. Add the shrimp 5-10 min before serving. Serve over rice or with crusty bread.
  • jordinejordine flPosts: 52 Greenhorn
    My favorite is gator sausage.
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 115 Deckhand
    The real question is what is that delicious sauce they serve gator bites with! I cant find a good recipe!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,617 Captain
    Played around tonight with some.
    21/2#'s ground gator
    1/4 c jerk seasoning
    1/2 onion diced
    10 small sweet peppers diced
    3 cloves fresh garlic
    extra hot sauce

cooked all that down kind of slow and let it dry out a bit.
    filled some stretched out pizza dough and made pockets with meat and a little cheddar cheese.
    375 for about 20 minutes then brushed with garlic butter and back in for another 5.
    Jamaican swamp calzones? I don't know but pretty dang good.

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    edited January 2019 #8

What type of sauce are thinking about. Mustard or Asian sweet?  For wings I like honey garlicky some time add Cajun seasoning.

For fish nuggets generally ketchup and horse radish sauce mixed. Some times add a hot souse.  There is the ketchup mayo and horse radish.

BBQ sauce add honey and crushed red pepper seed and I mean 50/50 honey and plain bbq sauce. If you heat it and then chill it be better- hotter to.

I never really buy gator any where just take some out of the freezer.

20psimr said:
    The real question is what is that delicious sauce they serve gator bites with! I cant find a good recipe!

I never had gator with any special sauce. but my own.  Mix and taste the ingrediency below to your taste. 

I have made these ketchup mayo add horse radish and if like some hot sauce. The young biologist at toso loved this sauce with the gator balls above.

Honey lots of Garlic fresh, Cajun seasoning and cook(heat) the sauce to release the garlic in the honey = Honey Garlic sauce.

A bbq sauce, honey, Caribbean seasoning, orange juice. The bbq and honey thicken so limit the orange juice for thickness consistency   Use any type og BBQ sauce the honey will sweeten,

There is also just honey mustard.