Please ID this fish caught in the Tampa area

Replies

• nightflynightfly Posts: 503 Officer
    Looks like a really big pinfish 

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,443 Moderator
    edited February 12 #3
    Mojarra  Diapterus auratus Great snook bait

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 563 Officer
    Def not a mojo..looks like a huge pinfish but missing the anal spines unless they are folded down. 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 524 Officer
    The anal spines are folded down, and yeah, that is a big honking pinfish.  You'll see them that big in public aquariums sometimes, but coming across them that large in the wild is pretty uncommon.
    The anal spines are folded down, and yeah, that is a big honking pinfish.  You'll see them that big in public aquariums sometimes, but coming across them that large in the wild is pretty uncommon.
    I was waiting for you to chime in for clarification. We were catching some large ones int he 6-8" range offshore last week but definitely nothing that big. That one looks over 12"! 
    They should start their spawn pretty soon of this warm weather persists.  They usually spawn about a month before the sheepshead really start their spawning run.  My lime tree has declared that winter is over, and it's never been wrong before.
  • Capt HansenCapt Hansen Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    My friend that caught it showed the  picture to a guy at a local tackle shop, he also thought it was a giant pin.
  • HOME DEPOT GEORGEHOME DEPOT GEORGE Posts: 506 Officer
    I think it might be a chub
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,297 Captain
    Not a Chub, I think it may be a world record Pinfish. The feint blackspot above the upper gill plate is indicative of a Pin. I ain't no expert though.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SeaSearcherSeaSearcher west FlPosts: 44 Greenhorn
    They are about that big at Port of Tampa, don't ask me how I know :)
    It could be close to the world record..I know the record is just under 2lbs
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 186 Deckhand
    So... I'll chime in... they taste good, and that one would perhaps have filets that have some meat on them... lol! :wink:
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
    So... I'll chime in... they taste good, and that one would perhaps have filets that have some meat on them... lol! :wink:
    Wrong fish for filets; head, guts, fins and scales off, dredge in flour and deep fry like a bluegill.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,704 Admiral

I caught one about that size at an inshore hole on the east coast once.

I planned on eating it but my friend shamed me out of it.

I should have ignored him, they're just another porgy.

• danny ddanny d Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    It’s a pinfish
  • DoubleD!DoubleD! Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Its a Sea Bream  (Archosargus rhomboidalis)

• BK922BK922 Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Not a sea bream but my first thought as well.  Lateral line running through the middle of shoulder spot makes it a pinfish, a sea bream spot would be lower, with the LL running through the top 1/3 of the spot, also they usually have more orange in their stripes as well as pelvic and anal fins. See sea bream below. Mainly an east coast species, in 30 years of pulling nets in Tampa Bay the fisheries independent monitoring program has caught 1 sea bream, and thousands (millions?) of pinfish.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BK922 said:
    Not a sea bream but my first thought as well.  Lateral line running through the middle of shoulder spot makes it a pinfish, a sea bream spot would be lower, with the LL running through the top 1/3 of the spot, also they usually have more orange in their stripes as well as pelvic and anal fins. See sea bream below. Mainly an east coast species, in 30 years of pulling nets in Tampa Bay the fisheries independent monitoring program has caught 1 sea bream, and thousands (millions?) of pinfish.

FIM fairly regularly catches 1000's on pinfish in a single haul, so I would put the number in the millions.  Never seen a sea bream in our area.