Snares for Hogs

watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
Are snares legal for trapping hogs in Florida? I have a small plot that hogs tend to use as a travel corridor and I am thinking of setting a snare on their trails to get one occasionally to fill the freezer. There isn't really a good place to hunt them where a bullet wouldn't carry off the property and retrieving one shot with a bow has been very difficult because once they get into the pepper trees they're all but impossible to find or get to. 

Assuming a snare is legal, is there a good way to neck snare them without strangling them? I wouldn't want to get one after I check it in the evening and for it to die and spoil before I got to it in the morning.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,810 Captain
    Live traps and snares (including power snares) can be used to take furbearers and wild hogs, but must be checked every 24 hours. The use of steel leg-hold traps, dog-proof raccoon traps and body-grip (conibear) traps is prohibited, except when permitted by the FWC.

Per myfwc.com 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Reel Teal said:
    Live traps and snares (including power snares) can be used to take furbearers and wild hogs, but must be checked every 24 hours. The use of steel leg-hold traps, dog-proof raccoon traps and body-grip (conibear) traps is prohibited, except when permitted by the FWC.

Per myfwc.com 
    Thanks! The page I found only listed furbearers. I assumed it was fine for hogs but wanted to double check. 

Now hoping someone has some info on keeping them in the snare but alive until I come back. 
    Reel Teal said:

Per myfwc.com 
    Thanks! The page I found only listed furbearers. I assumed it was fine for hogs but wanted to double check. 

Now hoping someone has some info on keeping them in the snare but alive until I come back. 
    that's the hard part. I gonna bet that you find a busted snare lol unless you get a piglet
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 866 Officer
    Reel Teal said:
    Reel Teal said:

Per myfwc.com 

that's the hard part. I gonna bet that you find a busted snare lol unless you get a piglet
    or some ones dog......then you'll be on T V......
    Reel Teal said:
    Reel Teal said:

Per myfwc.com 

or some ones dog......then you'll be on T V......
    You mean a stray? 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,143 Captain
    If you find a busted snare then your cable isn't heavy enough for catching hogs. I've known a few people who do it fairly regularly when they are having problems with them rooting. It is legal and there is a 24 hour check. I also know of some people who got themselves into a lot of trouble using them because they allegedly didn't use any common sense in where they put them and they didn't check them frequently enough.
    The snare is 1/8" cable, so Im not too concerned with one breaking it. If they do then Ill be impressed
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,244 Officer
    Why not trap them?
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,775 Admiral
    I hear they catch cougars quite well.. but if you want to try one try using mule tape soaked in sour orange(hint).
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,489 Admiral
    Set what is called a deer stop on the snare cable. Whatever you snare will be alive.
    Another option......lay a large cast net upside down with the tucks pulled up to a rope that goes through a Lilly and across to your tree stand. Have a weight attached to the rope that you can drop. You can't pull fast enough probably....... And yes......it works.  Best if you can find a old school nylon twine net to use.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,775 Admiral
    Brings back a memory.. We were struggling to catch bait one morning off Redfish Pass, so my buddy was on the trolling motor and I had the net. We saw what appeared to be a flash of bait so I popped the net directly over it, then all hell broke loose. In the end I lost a really nice Frank the Net to a manatee. It was a good fight until he blew thru the mono.. 
    Ill go ahead and set it and see what happens. Hopefully Ill find them relatively quick and alive.

The deer stop is interesting. I may try that if the strangling is a problem. 
    Ill go ahead and set it and see what happens. Hopefully Ill find them relatively quick and alive.

The deer stop is interesting. I may try that if the strangling is a problem. 
    Better to try it before the neighbors dog ends up in there................
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,510 Captain
    I dont think you can count on catching one anywhere around the head or torso and not expect to kill one. 

You’ll want to look into leg snares. They work a bit like steel leg hold traps except with snare wire instead of a steel jaw. But beware, anything that will snare a hog above the hoof will also catch a deer, and deer have a tendency to thrash themselves hard. 

A coyote can break thick snare cable. If a coyote can, so can a hog. It may kill them in the process though. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,126 Captain

You need Catch Monkeys Watergator

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,724 Admiral
    YUP , That is one funny video..;)
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,244 Officer
    Talk about a monkey on your back
    Pinman said:

I would definitely put in an application if they ever opened a season at Silver Springs. 
  • redredredredredred Clewiston Posts: 108 Deckhand
    Pinman said:

Whoooaaaahh!!!! I need 4!