Home Off Topic

Can I be sickened and outraged at the same time?

13»

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,752 AG
    Lots of new stuff happening in Pompano Beach, Conchy. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 661 Officer
    So here's a question. What specific language of the second amendment guarantees your right to firearms, in the context of the entire amendment?
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,675 AG
    bigfinn35 said:
    So here's a question. What specific language of the second amendment guarantees your right to firearms, in the context of the entire amendment?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

At least according to Supreme Court decisions. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

At least according to Supreme Court decisions. 
    Right. Which cases in particular? Because most recent rulings based around that wording have clearly stated that the second amendment has limitations. DC v. Heller being the most recent primary example, where the majority opinion was as follows:

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court's opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those "in common use at the time."...We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of "dangerous and unusual weapons." 

Worth noting that this was a 5-4 split and that the minority opinion was that a handgun ban was acceptable according to established precedent stating that the amendment refers to an individual right to bear arms only within the service of a militia.
    Your question was not could there be laws regulating firearms, your question was possession. 

Yes there can be regulations regarding firearms, but these regulations can not ban the possession of firearms. There are many regulations regarding firearms already. 

Worth noting is that the Supreme Court is now more conservative than when DC vs Heller was decided. It would be even more difficult to try and enacted any kind of firearm ban with the current Supreme Court. I doubt even an assault weapon ban would be ruled constitutional with the current Supreme Court. 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Your question was not could there be laws regulating firearms, your question was possession. 

Yes there can be regulations regarding firearms, but these regulations can not ban the possession of firearms. There are many regulations regarding firearms already. 

Worth noting is that the Supreme Court is now more conservative than when DC vs Heller was decided. It would be even more difficult to try and enacted any kind of firearm ban with the current Supreme Court. I doubt even an assault weapon ban would be ruled constitutional with the current Supreme Court. 
    Fair, though my point was going to be that there's plenty of precedent for restriction of firearms. But you're right, I asked the wrong question.

But, there's plenty of regulations banning sale of certain firearms. Many people in this and the previous gun thread acted as if the constitution guarantees them the right to own any firearm they see fit, which is empirically not true. Just because the current court is more conservative doesn't change precedent.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,595 AG
    I don't know if that's what it seems people are acting like.  Maybe you should as the question directly to them, if the 2nd ammeamend guarantees the right to own any firearms.

Captain Todd Approves

edited February 2019 #69
    bigfinn35 said:
    cadman said:

Fair, though my point was going to be that there's plenty of precedent for restriction of firearms. But you're right, I asked the wrong question.

But, there's plenty of regulations banning sale of certain firearms. Many people in this and the previous gun thread acted as if the constitution guarantees them the right to own any firearm they see fit, which is empirically not true. Just because the current court is more conservative doesn't change precedent.
    There are no federal laws banning the sale of Firearms .Some just take more work and more money. 
    You can buy a minigun if you have enough money and willing to go through the paperwork .

There are a lot of restrictions. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    as our judges become more liberal expect to see more rulings in favor of the government and not the people.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,395 Admiral
    Haven't judges recently become more conservative?

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    cadman said:

There are no federal laws banning the sale of Firearms .Some just take more work and more money. 
    You can buy a minigun if you have enough money and willing to go through the paperwork .

There are a lot of restrictions. 
    ^This^