Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Day after Thanksgiving buck

vlcmsrfrvlcmsrfr Tallahassee, JupiterPosts: 215 Deckhand
This buck came in right at 10:12, and yes he did come right in when he was supposed to going by feed times. This is my second time sitting this area in a new spot that I'm hunting. I found out about the place through a friend that has been pretty successful their too even though we're about 4 miles apart. I can see 2 rubs and about 3 or 4 scrapes from my stand and there's no leaves in any of them. I wanted to sit all day with the feed times with the feed times what they were but I had things to do so I texted my fiance at 10 and said I'm thinking about getting down soon. As soon as my phone went in my pocket I heard leaves crunching at a nice steady pace over to my right where the scrapes were. I couldn't see anything for the first few seconds then about 70 yards away I saw his dark wide body and a rack on his head! He stopped at one scrape and did his thing then walked directly towards me to the other scrape about 40 yards away. He rubbed his head on the branches above it and freshened up that scrape. He started walking right towards me to the other scrape that is directly behind me. I didn't want to take the shot he was giving me but he was about 25 yards away and stopped to look around. It was either I shoot now, he sees me and I shoot anyways before we have a stare down, or I let him go by to hit the next scrape and take my chances of turning in my stand and shooting him. I've tried that one before and it didn't work out to my advantage. Last time a different buck was under me and hit a scrape then bolted out of nowhere and I never got a shot and he was around 135" I figure. I shot one a little smaller a couple hours later that scored 127".

I took the straight on shot low in his chest. I got a lung and knicked the heart. He had a good blood trail from where I shot to where I found him about 80 yards away. On my way to get him, his blood trail led me by a dozen scrapes that were all fresh. His glands were dark and wet and his neck was pretty swollen. It's been a couple years since I've shot a good buck and it's a good feeling to have again.

Good luck to all you guys that are sitting all day or going back out. Here outside Tallahassee they're starting to move. I think with this other little front coming in the next couple days it should get the bigger ones going too hopefully.

Replies