Boat ramp/trailer parking for 10,000 islands camping?

I have not been down to Everglades city since the Hurricane and am wondering where the best ramp to use and store vehicles/trailers for 3 days would be?  I used to use Glades Haven and park at the Ranger Station.  Is this still an option?  I heard GH got hit pretty hard.  All advice is appreciated! 
Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,402 Captain
    Glades Haven is still closed and pretty much down for the count... Your best bet these days is probably Outdoor Resorts (the ramp on the left just as you hit Chokoloskee... If you were going to fish Fakahatchee and from there back to the west - Port of the Islands has a great small ramp, has the lowest ramp fee around, but also has that 3 mile long canal with a no wake situation ....

So you take your choice...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 725 Officer
    Thanks Bob!  
    Bob 

• JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Ramuda Ranch ... ;)
  • BobberBobber Posts: 939 Officer
    Remuda, but who 's counting...
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Rod and gun club, Everglades City
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,121 Officer
    Reel4Reel said:
    Rod and gun club, Everglades City
    Do they have a boat ramp?
    Jason :USA
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 645 Officer
    Dont forget too that you now have to have a certificate proving that you have passed the ENP boaters course and a  park entrance pass at $30 for 7 days or $55 for the annual pass:

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

limitless said:
    Dont forget too that you now have to have a certificate proving that you have passed the ENP boaters course and a  park entrance pass at $30 for 7 days or $55 for the annual pass:

Thanks limitless. Can this fee be paid at the Ranger Station when reserving campsites?  Also, I have not found anything on-line from the NPS that says you have to have passed the ENP boaters course.  Can you provide this link?
    Bob 

Starting January 1, boaters in the Everglades National Park will be required to have a valid Boater Permit.  This can be obtained only after taking an online course and passing an assessment with a score of 80 or higher.  The Permit must be presented as a paper copy or saved as an image accessible on an electronic device if requested by a law enforcement officer.  The cost will be $50 but may still be free for a while.  Here's a link to the course:  http://provalenslearning.com/national-park-service/everglades-boater-education-course

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

I have just confirmed at the EC ENP Ranger Station that the Boater Permit is NOT required.  I expected as much since I could not find it anywhere on line other than posts that led to a private website.  I'm not sure what the angle is from the "Learning Center" but the info about this requirement is false.  However, it is probably not a bad idea and since it is free I will probably take it anyway. If I learn one new thing it would be worth the price IMO...  
    Bob 

I started to say "it amazes me . . . " but I guess the confusion among staff in the ENP exists on the boaters permit.  the language I posted above came from the park website before Christmas.  Maybe they changed their minds or maybe some folks are going to get hit for not having the permit.

• LilThunderLilThunder Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I was approached by a Park Ranger in Sandfly Pass on 2/1 (first day required) and asked for my boaters permit. I actually had as a reminder went out from my fishing club. There was some confusion with the Ranger as he told me the permit was $80 and I had the $55 permit. He told us there in education mode now and will just issue warnings for now.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,293 Officer
    edited February 8 #14

I just took the so called test which consisted of just 15 multiple choice questions. It is not a difficult test, but you can only miss three questions or less to score an 80% or better to pass. After you finish the test you can scroll through the test again to review your results. If you did not answer a question correctly the review will provide the correct answer.

I missed one question, so I received the free ENP Boater Permit.  If you fail the test you can retake it immediately I would assume that the test questions are changed for a retake. The correct answer to the one question I missed did not seem to make any sense to me, but that is often the nature of tests like this in my experience.

The ENP Boater Permit contains an issue date but not an expiration date, so it’s anybody’s guess how long it will remain valid.

Giimoozaabi
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 231 Deckhand
    I sure hope they don't charge 55 or 80 for a permit, that's ridiculous for the little test I just took which Cat's Eye mentioned above. That's an hour of my life I won't get back and it was very EZ, but we better not have to pay for this in the future. I'm getting very tired of paying for using our natural resources, especially when we waste billions of dollars everywhere in the Fed Gov.