124»

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    Scoutboat said:
    Scoutboat said:
    Scoutboat said:
    Scoutboat said:
    The source of ear infections is hair growth in the ear canal
    Wax builds up on the hair, creating a perfect climate for infections.
    I use simple hydrogen peroxide. 
    Only dogs like poodles amd maltese that have to get groomed have hair in their ears, and not plucking that hair will absolutely increase the likelihood of an infection. Labs, dobis, German Shepards etc get ear infections for a bunch of other reasons.
    Plucking ear hair is very painful.  Instead, I clip the ear hair as close as possible
    It’s only painful in an infected ear. You’ll never get clippers inside an ear canal, it’s impossible. Your only getting the hair on the outside of the canal with clippers. And that hair doesn’t really contribute to the problem. The best way is with ear hair powder and short quick pulls to get it out, some use a hemostat, I like fingers and powder. They really don’t mind at all if the ears are healthy
    My Fox Terrier yelps in pain when the hair is pulled.  I would too.
    I use good clippers to trim the hair. 
    Fox terriers really dont have the ear hair I’m talking about. Only dogs that have hair that continually grows. Like a poodle. Dogs that have to be groomed or their hair would be long like ours. 
    Respectfully, there are two types of Fox Terriers.
    Smooth coat and Wire haired.
    My Wire haired requires grooming about every six weeks or so,  he doesn't shed.
    Respectfully, it isn’t the same hair. And I can assure you, you are not getting any hair inside the external ear canal with clippers. The anatomy simply will not allow it, the canal is thinner than a pencil and clippers are 2” wide. Even with an attachment, you aren’t getting in there without sedation. And if you think your dog doesn’t like it’s ear hair plucked, try putting noisey, vibrating clippers inside an ear canal. With clippers you are only getting hair that doesn’t contribute to ear infections.  But do what you do. It seems to work for you.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I question your authenticity.
    Not affirming the difference of the breeds,
    Wire haired Fox Terriers do not shed.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,456 AG
    Scoutboat said:
    The AKC disagrees with you. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,762 AG
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited February 2019 #96
    Scoutboat said:
    Are you kidding? You question my authenticity because I didn’t affirm the difference in breeds? Seriously? I can assure you, I’m quite familiar with the wire and smooth coat Fox terriers . I take care of both in my practice. I really don’t care what you question. I never said that they didn’t  shed( but they do, just not as much), I said the ear hair was different than a poodle / Bichon etc..... I question your competence if you truly believe you are clipping inside an ear canal. But I’ve already spent way to much time in this. People pay me for my professional time, no reason to give it away free here. Continue wasting your time and bothering your dog for no real reason. Or learn something, next time you are at your vet, ask him or her so show you your dogs ear canals with an otoscope. You will immediately understand it’s impossible to clip the inside of the external ear canal with clippers 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,323 Captain
    This had to start in California.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Scoutboat said:
    Are you kidding? You question my authenticity because I didn’t affirm the difference in breeds? Seriously? I can assure you, I’m quite familiar with the wire and smooth coat Fox terriers . I take care of both in my practice. I really don’t care what you question. I never said that they didn’t  shed( but they do, just not as much), I said the ear hair was different than a poodle / Bichon etc..... I question your competence if you truly believe you are clipping inside an ear canal. But I’ve already spent way to much time in this. People pay me for my professional time, no reason to give it away free here. Continue wasting your time and bothering your dog for no real reason. Or learn something, next time you are at your vet, ask him or her so show you your dogs ear canals with an otoscope. You will immediately understand it’s impossible to clip the inside of the external ear canal with clippers 
    Your expertise is appreciated here, so thanks.

We have a Golden, so we're familiar with taking care of her ears, but my SIL has a Labradoodle and we share the same vet, neither our vet or groomer has said anything about plucking his ear canal hair, is this something we should ask about?
    Scoutboat said:

We have a Golden, so we're familiar with taking care of her ears, but my SIL has a Labradoodle and we share the same vet, neither our vet or groomer has said anything about plucking his ear canal hair, is this something we should ask about?
    Absolutely, ask about it. Most of the time groomers just do it and you never know. Some doodles don’t need it plucked. The vet will know as soon as he looks in the ear canal with an otoscope.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,444 AG
    Scoutboat said:

Absolutely, ask about it. Most of the time groomers just do it and you never know. Some doodles don’t need it plucked. The vet will know as soon as he looks in the ear canal with an otoscope.
    Thank You, I will bring it to their attention.