Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Duke

Anyone heard from Duke. Was wondering how he was doing after the surgery.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,437 Moderator
    I have not heard. Seems like he posts on another site and someone let us know last time. Then he posted here with clarification.
    I hope he is progressing well.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    He's still doing cardio rehab and is improving.
    According to his FaceBook post he and Melissa went to a concert over the weekend.
    Their kids are growing up FAST!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Good to hear. Thanks.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 596 Officer
    Dewey, thanks for the heads up to check in here!

As mentioned, I'm still in cardio rehab and half-way through at this point. I guess I'm doing better, considering where/how I was in September but it seems I've hit a wall in my physical recovery of the heart muscle. I'm grateful to be complaining about myself today but complain, I do.

I'm not back to 100% which is where I want to be as of 1 week after my surgery & heart attack. For some odd reason, my cardiologist thinks that is unreasonable! No, really... I've never been one to sit around and it feels like that is all I have done since September.

My ejection fraction still sucks and has not improved since I was discharged from the hospital, despite ongoing and continuing cardio rehab. I get seriously winded just going up my stairs to go to bed. I have to stop to catch my breath in simple conversations. I did go to a concert last Friday but I got up for 5 minutes, then had to sit down. Got up again for another 5 minutes and then stayed sitting the rest of the show.

It really gets me depressed at times which is to be expected but I talk about it openly which helps and is what the doctors want me to be doing.

My cardiologist is "not optimistic" about my heart muscle recovering any more than it is now which is the hard part for me. IT seems that my "widowmaker" heart attack was really, REALLY bad (I did get to see a video of my heart going into V-Fib and stop, which was cool to see after the fact) but it was a bad one. Basically, the front half of my heart was effected by it and it was severe. For those in the know, it was a 100% blockage of the LAD or left anterior descending artery. Again, this was AFTER my open heart surgery where they replaced part of my aorta and aortic valve.

I've got a disability lawyer working on that stuff and a workers compensation lawyer working on that stuff. I'm just praying that I'm going to end up with a "Permanent Partial" disability instead of a "Permanent Total" rating. The "PP" would mean I can still do some sort of work in the future. Its not about the money (don't tell my lawyers that)... It is about feeling "useful"! Money will work itself out as it always does.

So, right now, I'm concentrating on verbalizing my emotions through this, working on all possible outcomes (financially) to plan for any moves we might have to make. I'm enjoying the gift of family since it was almost taken away and diligently continuing on with my cardio rehab. I'm constantly amazed by Melissa and how strong she is and how supportive she's been.

Oh, I've taken up an old hobby... I'm building plastic models on our dining room table! Very tedious work but keeps me from going crazy by watching Netflix all day!

Guys, I'm blessed beyond measure, that's for sure. Great family and I'm getting the best treatment possible. I know I'm in the great hands of the Lord and I've got support in every direction. I just have to keep doing all I can and give the rest to God to work out.

Thanks for checking in Ken! Take care kids!

Duke

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    Glad to hear from you Duke, stop by more often. I'll put you back in my prayers.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Hang in there Duke. You'll got a lot of people offering up support for your recovery.

Thanks for updating us.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,858 Captain
    Yeah Duke. We'll be praying for ya and don't be a stranger.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,347 Admiral
    edited February 2019 #9
    Good luck to you and your family. Hope your rehab progresses beyond the doctor's expectations. God bless you and keep you well. With His help you will be back in your kayak peddling around after the big ones again soon.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I will put you on my prayer list, Duke.  All the best to you.  Thank you for the update.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,522 Captain
    Its great to hear from you.
    It sounds as though you are having to come to terms with a life changing situation, but do appreciate you still have a life, a loving family and lots of friends.
    Not all sedentary careers are awful and I am sure there are many useful ways you can still contribute, you are a good man and I wish you well.

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Hang in there and don't give up. You're already a miracle so be on the lookout for another one. Above all be patient and take it a day at a time. Praying for you.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"