Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Planning For Next Winter

For many years, we've camped all along the Panhandle, and down past Fort Myers.

Never been to The Keys though, and a year from now we hope to be there.

Which of the three state parks has better opportunities for shore fishing or wading?

Not adverse to renting a kayak, though a canoe would be better for two.

If we haven't replaced our trailer, lost when Port St. Joe was hit, where to stay?

Hopefully, the area has had time to recover from the hurricane damage.

Thanks.

Replies

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 528 Officer
    Loads of bridges to fish from.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,657 Captain
    edited January 2019 #3
    Loads of bridges to fish from.
    Thanks, but fishing off a bridge isn't what I had in mind.

All the concrete convenience of a trout park, plus noise and fumes.

( The side order of trash is free! ) 

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    u might want to make thoze planz >AFTER< we clear hurricane season- it is a little premature , now for that.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • B2TBB2TB Posts: 64 Deckhand
    I would suggest Bahia Honda. Not only does it have large shoreline, it is close to other areas where you can wade on both the ocean and gulf side  It should be fully opened by next year
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 240 Deckhand
    Do you have a boat or do you  have enough $$ to rent one for a few days and be able to keep it overnight, if that type of arrangement exists down there? Bahia Honda is a pretty deep channel and my buddies and I used to catch some really nice snapper, tarpon, sharks and even a few grouper near the old high rise bridge that's there, especially when we fished at night. There are campsites and cabins in Bahia Honda State Park, if the hurricane didn't destroy them. I  used to stay in a place called the Royal Hawaiian Motel/Boatel in the early 2000s. It was on Vaca Cut in Key Colony Beach and at night you could stand on shore and cast under the lights on the up tide side of the bridge there and hook up some tarpon. Hopefully things haven't changed too much in those spots. Have a great vacation and give us a report on trip, ok?