Home Off Topic

Over under on a cure for cancer

2»

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,678 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #32
    I agree with the sentiment that health care costs are high because we are unhealthy.  It would be like everybody being a awful driver with weekly collisions, then complaining insurance costs are high.  Health costs all across Europe are cheaper than ours, but they are also far more healthy than we are.  I want to say we have the 2nd highest rate of obesity.  And despite our PC culture, obesity isn't healthy.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    big pharma gets a lot of blame for prices, and I am not denying the reasons..

however; I don't think most people realize the $costs associated with the production of drugs.  The FDA regulations alone are astronomical.  Not to mention the actual costs of developing new drugs, many of which take ~10 years to pass FDA tests for sales. 
    I was recently at a 2Billion$ facility expansion for a pharma company...  That $ doesn't include the 24HR operating costs...  

Just saying...  
    *i honestly think the FDA approval process could be revamped and help get drugs to market quicker and faster. 

my daughter goes on drug trails from time to time.  It is unreal the cost to administer a trial and all the little things that FDA mandates.

the last trial she did.....world wide trial...flew a lady around the globe to administer......a drug that had been out for 10 years the FDA decided that they weren't sure the instructions contained in the box were clear enough so the company had to do this trial where they filmed patients and their care givers (if they had one) opening the box, reading the directions and then following them to self administrator the medication.   Which....in the reality.....the nurse would always explain to the patient on hows and whats when prescribed at the doctors office.  The results then had to be analyzed and sent to the FDA for approval

ridiculously $$$$$$$$$
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Gary S said:
    big pharma gets a lot of blame for prices, and I am not denying the reasons..

however; I don't think most people realize the $costs associated with the production of drugs.  The FDA regulations alone are astronomical.  Not to mention the actual costs of developing new drugs, many of which take ~10 years to pass FDA tests for sales. 
    I was recently at a 2Billion$ facility expansion for a pharma company...  That $ doesn't include the 24HR operating costs...  

Just saying...  
    *i honestly think the FDA approval process could be revamped and help get drugs to market quicker and faster. 
    If they have all this money tied up, why do they sell the same drug in other countries cheaper than this country?
    Rent-seeking. They get congress to make laws that protect their racket. Congress helps to control their sales-channel with legal barriers. Every business would love to have that much control over their sales channel.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,135 Admiral
    Heart disease is certainly a terrible killer but it's more like getting shot with a gun. Bang flop. I've never met anyone with cancer that did not suffer in agony. It's a physical and most importantly mental drag
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,683 Admiral
    edited February 2019 #36
    I use to do structural drawings for Merck Chemical in Albany GA before they closed.

They mixed the chemicals for that cholesterol medicine they made. I looked it up Zocor was the name of it.

Each semi that left the plant was insured for $56 million.