Spanish makeral

Just got down for a couple of weeks and was wondering if we could catch some Spanish close in ? Will be launching out of Fort pierce. Any advice or intel would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks , Greg 

Replies

• Fireman BillFireman Bill Officer Posts: 577 Officer
    Trail down to Stuart and go to Peck's Lake.  You will have to wait for the swell to subside.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Officer Posts: 1,293 Officer

The mackerel are not actually IN Peck's Lake, but offshore (East) of this wide portion of the Intercoastal Waterway know as "Peck's Lake".  In other words, you must head out through the St. Lucie Inlet and turn south for two to four miles The concentration of mackerel are usually about ¾ to one mile offshore from the beach. Look for a swarm of boats.

Giimoozaabi
  • leftylefty Greenhorn Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Great,thanks for the intel ,much appreciated . One question though , I have a 21.5 Aquasport cuddly and have launched out of fort Pierce many times but never from St Lucie inlet . Will this be a challenge? Thanks  for current post and any on the inlet , Greg 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Officer Posts: 1,293 Officer

I have never run out of the St. Lucie inlet. Just maintain knowledge of the area as I was planning to move there but that plan was abandoned.

Giimoozaabi
  • Diggity6186Diggity6186 Deckhand Posts: 146 Deckhand
    edited January 30 #6
    FP is easier to navigate, but tends to be rougher than SLI. Pay attention to the buoys and swells in SLI. MUCH shallower than FPI. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Officer Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 857 Officer
    For what its worth, out of FPI I have caught spanish mackerels north of the inlet.  It was in close about 6-7 miles north of the inlet and maybe a half mile off-shore.  There are often commercial guys in the area, if the fish are around.  I haven't been out much lately due to the winds however a buddy got a bunch of them from the beach in that area last week.  
  • P91473P91473 Deckhand Posts: 119 Deckhand
    edited January 31 #8
    Boats have been seen off Vero Beach in tight getting the Macs. It’s about a 6 - 7 mile run north of FPI