Home General Hunting

Season Over

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,662 Captain
So is it safe to ask how the duck hunting went this year?
Just wondering because we had a lot more around where I hunt. More than I have seen in years. Mostly Wood Ducks but lots of others mixed in.
I ALMOST even went myself, then I came to my senses.
My boys are showing interest and putting on a little pressure, may have to give in next year.
Just curious if it was a good or average year?
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,833 Captain
    For me this was about the worst ever in 45 years of killing ducks, but to be fair, I didn't expend much time, treasure, and effort into it. On the other hand, there was little reason for me to squander the aforementioned resources in my area, although my associates on the west coast did ok. The ducks are just now getting here in my opinion.
  • GoldHunterGoldHunter GainesvillePosts: 231 Deckhand
    I will echo the sentiments of Big Mak in that this was one of my worst seasons ever.  There were just no ducks in the area for the majority of the season, especially during the second phase when you would think they would or should be down here in numbers.  Talked to a number of folks in my area who also had poor seasons.  Seems like further south they did Ok from what I've heard.  If this continues I might have to do more fishing than hunting in the future...
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,943 Captain
    4ward - it’ll be years before the two lakes you live by ever come back to the way they once were. We did good this year, but I hunted private half the year and spent the rest of the season driving far every hunt. I’d just get them on some good wood duck ponds.  

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,662 Captain
    I could tell the lakes were a bit slow. I can tell while I sip coffee on the porch.
    I was east on private flooded areas that have more water than in many years.
    Guessing mild winter and high water played some tricks.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,729 Captain
    I know guys that never shot at a ring necked duck in the Everglades.  That is saying something. 
    I know guys that never crawled past an ugly girl at closing time, they seem fine( within reason anyway). THAT is saying something
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,834 AG
    It was hit and miss for me, mostly miss up her in N FL. I mostly contribute it to all of the flooded planted ponds. It started last year. Ducks come to the big lake after dark now to roost when years past they would come before and also come back mid day. Hunt an evening and not see any ducks come to the lake and go the next morning and run up 2-4K birds before light. It's hard to compete when you have 12+ planted flooded ponds on the plantations around you that don't get shot but 6-7 times a season.

Had a great time regardless with great friends, by myself and the sunrises and sets are burned in my mind.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,942 AG
    was slow here for the woodies (my favorite), lots of water made it tough, didn't fool with the divers on the coast, social media has ruint that..
    I'm not gonna get up at 2am to hunt a spot 20 minutes from my house.
    Dislocated my shoulder new years morning (4th time and worst) ain't shot since so...

But over all, I enjoyed it
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:

Dislocated my shoulder new years morning (4th time and worst) ain't shot since so...

That sucks, hope your crew picked it up for you.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,942 AG
    I am doing a little quail hunting on public land, not much chance of a lot of shooting there... lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,493 AG
    It was OK....  
    I keep myself to about 100 birds a year and I may have gone up to about 125 since my son was just over 100.  
    Highlights were taking three youngsters to get their first ducks.....
    Hunting 11 of the last 13 days of the season with my son was great.
    My Michigan buddy got his first banded bird in the state of Florida after 18 seasons of coming down.
    We killed 3 banded birds in the last week...my sons Banded Canvasback was cool.
    I also have perfected my duck chorizo recipe.
    With being rained out on the last day...I got a jump on putting up gear.

Looking forward to this weekends Camp Blackbelly hunt at TM Goodwin. I will be co-ordinating it with the FWC Bio there with a hunt Saturday morning and fishing in lake Goodwin after the hunt ....then a BBQ and a give away lottery and a big bonfire Saturday evening and a safety talk by FWC LEO....then a continental breakfast and a hunt Sunday AM.

I have two young fellows and their dad going.    
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    edited January 2019 #13
    My best season yet. 8 species taken. Mostly blue wing, green wings and wood ducks. But it wasnt like I saw a lot of birds overall. Very wet year around me and January was much slower
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,097 AG
    It was a good one for me.
    No complaints.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 747 Officer
    My worst year ever by far.  That said I did not branch out and check out other areas, I just switched to a tree stand.
    duckmanJR said:
    It was OK....  
    I keep myself to about 100 birds a year and I may have gone up to about 125 since my son was just over 100.  
    Highlights were taking three youngsters to get their first ducks.....
    Hunting 11 of the last 13 days of the season with my son was great.
    My Michigan buddy got his first banded bird in the state of Florida after 18 seasons of coming down.
    We killed 3 banded birds in the last week...my sons Banded Canvasback was cool.
    I also have perfected my duck chorizo recipe.
    With being rained out on the last day...I got a jump on putting up gear.

Looking forward to this weekends Camp Blackbelly hunt at TM Goodwin. I will be co-ordinating it with the FWC Bio there with a hunt Saturday morning and fishing in lake Goodwin after the hunt ....then a BBQ and a give away lottery and a big bonfire Saturday evening and a safety talk by FWC LEO....then a continental breakfast and a hunt Sunday AM.

I have two young fellows and their dad going.    
    Good on you!
    Took both my boys on two different youth hunts last year. I know the work you guys put into making this stuff happen.
    Hope you have a great weekend.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    edited January 2019 #17
    I had a very fulfilling season.