Home General Hunting

Compound bow arrows and climbers vs ground blinds

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
Since I am gonna be getting into WMA hunting this year, I am curious to see what yall reccommend for climbing stands? I am ona college budget so cheaper the better. I dont want to sacrifice quality so I know that means I might have to pay a little more but I want to keep it below 200. If thats the case what about ground blinds? I am really good at building camouflaged shelters and making them look natural. What are yalls thoughts on climbing stands vs natural ground blinds?
Arrows, have yall had any experience with the Easton 5mm Full Metal Jackets? They look great and seem to have a lot of positive reviews! Are they compatible with the 100 grain Rage hypodermics?
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,902 Captain
    Natural ground blinds are awesome. They’ll serve you well in a variety of WMA setups. Get you a comfy, light weight, easy to transport, chair to make your sits be long and relaxing. 

For a climber, don’t skimp. You want aluminum, not steel. Steel is too heavy and will rust out on you. The light weight Summit aluminum stands are good. Avoid their steel models, which are significantly cheaper. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    edited January 2019 #3
    Natural ground blinds are awesome. They’ll serve you well in a variety of WMA setups. Get you a comfy, light weight, easy to transport, chair to make your sits be long and relaxing. 

I was thinking about literally building a ground blind from the materials around me like branches, palm frawns and stuff like that. Is that a bad idea?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 186 Deckhand
    I agree with the reference to summit stands, been using them for many years. Comedy and noise free once your up and settled.  I prefer height to ground blinds. Height helps with field of view, scent dispersal and limits movement detection. 
  • RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 72 Deckhand
    FMJs are great and kill a lot of animals every year.  My only problem with them is the price.
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 80 Deckhand
    edited January 2019 #6

A very successful self taught public land hunter here. On the issue of ground blind vs climber, it all depends on the habitat you are hunting. If you are in a hardwood hammock with open views, sure sit on the ground with the wind in your favor. There are also areas that lack mature trees to climb, like young planted pines, and these areas can be hunted very successfully from a blind on the ground.  However, a lot of the habitat on FL WMAs is thick and a climber affords you the ability to see deer trails that you wouldn't know where there without climbing high up a tree. So long story short, there are times for both. As a new hunter you get to learn when and where to use both techniques. This to me is a big part of "the hunt". Have fun learning.

As far as brand of climber, I would only buy an aluminum Summit Viper, with a foot rest. They are light and comfortable. Remember, you are going to be packing it in and out and the lighter the better is my philosophy. I have been using one for 25 years and wouldn't change it a bit.

• nativetroynativetroy Posts: 307 Deckhand
     Blinds will work. A climber is a big help. Agree with above. Get aluminum. Check classifieds. Find a nice bow holder to put on it. 
     As for FMJ’s, they are a great arrow. But I had issues with them bending. Twice on deflected shots on a target. My fault, but no issue with carbon. The other bent in the deer when it hit the opposite shoulder. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 728 Officer
    keep your eyes peeled for a deal right now. A few months before the season is the wrong time to buy an aluminum stand. Ask me how I know...
    Chongg said:
    keep your eyes peeled for a deal right now. A few months before the season is the wrong time to buy an aluminum stand. Ask me how I know...
    I also have a birthday coming up in April would that be a good time to look for a climber as well?
     Blinds will work. A climber is a big help. Agree with above. Get aluminum. Check classifieds. Find a nice bow holder to put on it. 
     As for FMJ’s, they are a great arrow. But I had issues with them bending. Twice on deflected shots on a target. My fault, but no issue with carbon. The other bent in the deer when it hit the opposite shoulder. 
    Hmmm, I dont want my arrows bending, I will try the carbon Axis ones then! Thanks for the tip.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,645 Captain

Spent most of my season right here, kicked back in a camp chair. Nothing to climb as you can see, 75 yard old fire break is as good as it gets on this little block. Lots of deer and a bear even within 15 yards, was just fine as long as I played the wind right.
    Summit climbers get my vote and as for broadheads... I gave up on mechanicals after a few bad experiences.
    Been shooting SlickTrick 4 blades for many years without a problem.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,166 Officer
    Summit viper hands down.  Closer to $250.  You will never regret the extra money unless stolen.    Great stand.  As said don't get the classic for $170 unless you can drive to tree.    If you want to save some money go to ebay and get some Buckbuster arrows.   Switched several seasons and for the money couldn't be happier. 

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Just got the Sum. Viper aluminum for 190.00 (21 lbs) after taxes, shipped free. Best time of year to catch the best price. I agree w above on pretty much everything. Prefer fixed blade broadheads and the hunt setup to the terrain. Be sure to pack stand in and out if you want to keep it. Apparently "bigfoots" are stealing them and reselling for junk food best I can tell... Good luck and remember, planning and scouting are a lot of fun as well!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,831 AG
    Both stand types have their place in the woods. Don't limit yourself to just one of them.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man said:
    Both stand types have their place in the woods. Don't limit yourself to just one of them.
    What do you have more experience with and did you ever build blinds out of logs and moss and such?
  • nativetroynativetroy Posts: 307 Deckhand
    My advice on building natural blinds is go in advance and scout, and build them as inconspicuous as you can. 
     That way you can settle in quick and not worry about shooting lanes and such. Just show up and drop your chair down to hunt. 
      But it’s  public, so you’re hiding it from deer and other hunters. 
    Okay that makes sense!
  • ajrickettsajricketts Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Just got the Sum. Viper aluminum for 190.00 (21 lbs) after taxes, shipped free. Best time of year to catch the best price. I agree w above on pretty much everything. Prefer fixed blade broadheads and the hunt setup to the terrain. Be sure to pack stand in and out if you want to keep it. Apparently "bigfoots" are stealing them and reselling for junk food best I can tell... Good luck and remember, planning and scouting are a lot of fun as well!
    Do you mind sharing where you got the good deal on the Summit? I've been watching them for a while and about $220 is the lowest I've seen, before tax. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    This is the best time to buy stuff - end of season.  Keep looking.  Cabelas used to have killer end of year sales, now that bass pro owns them neither BPS or cabelas are having any serious sales.

You may also think about lock-ons and sticks or steps.  I have a Millenium M100U - 12# stand with a full seat - comfy.  Takes a few more minutes to get situated as compared to my climber but the comfort is worth it if sitting more than 3 or 4 hours.

The whole concept of building a ground blind is lost on me.  You need to have your outline broken up, not build a fort.  Couple of palm fronds go a long ways.  Of course some guys feel differently and you are free to do as you wish.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Ditch the FMJs and spend the extra money on a good climber. Get a Summit, Lone Wolf or XOP. Upgrade with Molle straps.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,902 Captain
    Building a simple blind from natural materials is a great idea. When you’re done it won’t look like a structure, just some stuff piled around you. Make sure you’re totally concealed from behind so that if something comes in behind you the movements of turning your head are covered. 

Palmetto and cabbage palm fronds are usually the best blind materials. Just stick them in the ground around you. 
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 728 Officer
    You should be asking us which credit cards offer fair rates and good reward programs...
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I googled light weight summit climber and was barraged w prices. It was Amazon I ordered from. Came from somewhere in Cali according to shipping label. BTW - couple of API climbers on Classified forum.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • ShineShine Posts: 827 Officer

Climbers are good for deer, blinds good for turkey.   Climbers will help minimize active scent and give you a better, 360 degree view of the woods.  Deer tend to spook more with a blind, turkeys – seen it – can walk up and look in the window.  My favorite is the Summit Viper.  Best all-around I have found.  Easy to backpack in.  Add an aftermarket accessory bag to your climber and eliminate the need for a separate backpack.

Chongg said:
    You should be asking us which credit cards offer fair rates and good reward programs...
    I do need a credit card. I am reluctant to sign up though. I hate that the world is run on credit. 
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I have taken deer from both but during archery I prefer the tree stand.  I The height get you above the normal field of view. Take for instance me this year, shoot a doe at 20 yards.  The one behind it looked around and did not notice me till it was to late for her to.  There are plenty of places a ground blind works but there more places for tree stands to work better. Now a cold windy day a blind is warmer.  If money tight start with a climber.