Home Egret Boats

Caulkless Egrets

mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
Another Egret that did not get the drip tray caulked so water will flow over the switches and into console.  The powder coating on the helm adapter has flaked off because there's no caulking under it so the powder coating is always sitting in water.   Sometimes you do not get what you pay for. 

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    As far as chalking, buy white silicone and run a thin bead around the edge. 

Not sure if this is your boat or a different boat. But it looks like the problem is not the chalking but the paint/coating on the helm adapter base that  flaking off. Based on the size exposed corrosion this has been going on for some time. Check your owner packet for warranty information on Sea Star steering. Depending on the age of the boat it may be covered by Sea Star.

Looking at the top right of the photo.  One can see the spoke of the steering wheel is also showing signs of rust and corrosion.  I'd say that you or your buddy may want to start washing their boat.  
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Some children should not be allowed to play with toys!!!!
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    When I was growing up nobody put their kids in "TIME OUT". In school they would wash your mouth out with soap or get paddled. Then when you got home you had more excitement when dad took his belt off. Everything had consequences. In today's world some people think it's OK not to take responsibility and then complain about the consequences. The photo above is a good example of what happens when you neglect to wash your boat and do routine maintenance. Which is not a problem if they are children and still learning. 

So if you're a father, make your kid help you wash your boat. That way when he's 40 and has his own boat. He'll know what he needs to do. One more thing...NO TIME OUT.    
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    edited January 2019 #5
    For what it's worth considering who were talking about. Those early console wedges were made out of a cast pot metal and power coated and no longer used. So when it's gets a chip in the power coating or most likely neglected over time by the elements the result is what you see. 
    Being that most likely this is a trolling picture of another owners console or a early picture since the extended pipe work doesn't match up with pig pens current engineered marvel. It's just another way to pass time while hibernating up in Canuck Country coming out for air looking for cheap thrills! 

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    I work with an older gentlemen who has two trust funds. He pulls about 20k a month out of both of them and will die with well over a million in reserve, leaving his grandkids a hell of a inheritance. Kinda envois, but I know I'll make it in the long run. He has plenty of time on his hands just like Martin does. He waxes his can am spider weekly, takes trips to national parks, eats at diners in the morning for breakfast, sees things people never get to see because they are stuck behind a desk, dealing with a jerk boss to put food on the table for their families. Martin however, wastes his life posting stupid stuff like this about Egrets. Martin, I want you to get out there and enjoy your trust fund installments, I want you to post pictures of tarpon you catch, post pics of pink flamingos flying into the sunset in everglades national park, post pics of that alligator you caught that messed your boat up. Live a life man! I'd kill to have your gig as being a trust fund kid!
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I'm not a brilliant expert like a lot of you guys are on boats, but even I can see that this has nothing to do with caulking at all. This is wear over a long period of time on the helm base. This is not legitimate posting and for people coming on the forums who don't have a clue who are looking to be informed, here to learn, etc, this rubbish can really confuse them.
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 554 Officer
    edited April 2019 #8
    Ghost147 said:
    This is not legitimate posting and for people coming on the forums who don't have a clue who are looking to be informed, here to learn, etc, this rubbish can really confuse them.
    You just picked up on his own agenda.  On FloridaSportsman, Microskiff, THT, and likely others... he never misses an opportunity to put Egret down and damage their brand reputation.  He's dedicated, I'll give him that.