Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

A Technical Question, Sort of, for the Yankee Capts. Fishers

tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 241 Deckhand
How long should the butt grip of your bottom fishing rod be for fishing on the Yankee Capts? It looks like the rails on the boat are so high that you keep the butt of your rod under your armpit just about the whole time, rather than the traditional position - the butt of the rod  down around your belly. Would anyone like to share their opinion about this?

Replies

• Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 959 Officer
    Correct. That’s why you need a 8 foot rod. 

Need to keep the line line away from the hull.

Greg
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,784 Moderator
    edited January 2019 #3
    I have 3 rods that I use on the Capts.  2,  8 1/2 foot rods have a 18" and a 13" butt to the base (bottom) of the reel seat.  I built the 13" butt rod first and after using it several years, realized the butt was too short.  It's now it is a backup to the one with the 18" butt.  The other rod I use is an 8' UglyStick used for my electric on Pulley Ridge and has a 15" butt. 
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,089 Officer
    I agree with Jack.  I like an 18" butt.  As an experiment I am also building a rod with a long fore grip so I can lay it on the rail.  I know a lot of people say not to lay your rod on the rail but there are times with large fish in deeper water I have to use the rail. 
    In reality, it probably depends on personal preference and what you are used to using.  
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 241 Deckhand
    I have  7 1/2 foot and 8 foot boat rods now and both have butt that are 13 1/2 - 14 inches long and they're ok for me because I'm short but I have long arms for my height. I would think that a butt section of about 16 inches long would be a better fit for most people but it seems no one has that in a stock rod. I'm not going to go to a custom rod, at least not now.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 202 Deckhand
    edited January 2019 #6
    one Pretty good rod to go by .. maybe the best for the money is the crowder lb80 and lb90 rods ..  they have about a 12 in forgrip which really helps also if you can find one of those you won’t find a better production rod with warranty for the money for this boat .
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,354 Officer
    For your foregrips go to Walmart and buy a pool noodle and some zip ties. Cut a section about 12-14" and zip tie to your rod. Saves the grips when using the boat rails and is easily removed.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Or put the whole pool noodle on the rail then the same applies .... I buy about ten and just try to make it so my whole stead has noodles .. that way if I need to go down rail you don’t have to lose your cushion