Wild Boar Sausage Recipe

DJWDJW Posts: 538 Officer
Just got a grinder for Christmas. Looking for a good wild pig sausage recipe. What y’all got?

Replies

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    Mix it with italian spices, spicy italian spices to be specific and then scramble it with eggs in a pan on the stove and you got yourself a great breakfast!
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,633 Captain
    Leggs#10.
    I prefer a little less than directions, about 2oz/8# meat.
    I add about 25% fat with wild pork and also grind the second time with a bean plate( I like breakfast sausage to be a little more course).
    Do small batches till you find what you like.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,278 Admiral
    Off Topic just had a 3 pages thread on this...bout everything you need to know..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 299 Deckhand
    I course grind wild hog meat, vacuum pack it in 1 pound bags, freeze it. I don't season till I cook it. That way I can use the ground meat for hamburgers, hamburger helper, chili, spaghetti, etc... If we want breakfast sausage I sprinkle "Tony Chacheres" Creole seasoning into the meat, If we want Italian then I add that right before cooking.  90% of the ground wild hog we use as hamburger. A wild hog hamburger on a Kings Hawaiian roll with a slice of deli deluxe cheese and a splash of bbq sauce is pretty tasty
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,818 AG
    edited January 2019 #6
    Leggs and LEM have great seasonings already mixed. Start with small batches and find what you like best. Sausage, trail bologna and snack stix are all good. Summer sausage too. The way the meat is handled and or cooled makes a difference too. We just made 1200+ pounds last weekend, several folks of course. Going to make 500+ of summer sausage March 2. 

Play with it until you find what you like best. Good luck. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,029 Captain
    edited January 2019 #7
    Been hunting Florida wild boars for well over 1/2 a century. I target the really BIG boys...

Even the biggest boars when properly processed, coarse ground, seasoned to perfection, and cooked to taste offers a meal no store bough sausage can even begin to match:

I take my Florida wild boar hunting every bit as seriously as I do my sausage skills. I love to share what has taken me years to perfect. In the June, 2016, issue of Woods'nWater Magazine I explained in detail what I have learned...

There are many different ways of making really great-tasting healthy sausage. "Play with it until you find what you like best. Good luck."
     Experimenting is 'almost' as fun as eating. We all have different taste, but this remains constant... The sausage we make has NO artificial additives, no fillers, and is not
    over-loaded with fat. It can be, 'the best whole hog country sausage EVER'! 
    Vacuum pack our 'best whole hog country sausage...

And we will have breakfast fit for a 'Florida Sportsman' for a very long time. 

• 139sst139sst Posts: 340 Deckhand
    Mr. Harbison, would you mind reprinting your wild hog seasoning recipe on this forum? 
    Thank you very much. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,921 AG
    I like the Leggs seasoning though I add more pepper.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,631 Admiral
    Some good points here and in the OT thread.

Keep a few packs of it at about a pound or so, squashed flat so that you can thaw fast. And with them thin and flat they can be used without thawing, which means you don't have to plan so far ahead.

This is especially helpful if you stumble upon a particularly good looking bunch of collards. Toss the sausage in the pressure cooker with a little water and then pack it full of chopped FRESH collards. I know it smells bad......but by the time the cornbread is ready they'll be done.

Yea.....I know....poor folks food.......but man is it good!
    Mr. Harbison, would you mind reprinting your wild hog seasoning recipe on this forum? 
    Thank you very much. 

Not feeling well today.  Glad to share in detail as soon as I feel better.  Will discuss what works best for me from the shot to the table. 

• nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,296 Officer
    Hope you feel better soon Harb.

Feeling better today, thank you!
    At my age, 77, I have not so good and good days. Feel well enough to challenge the fish of the Florida Middle Grounds this weekend. I love putting BIG smiles on faces; my pictures & videos do just that. Be sure to check out my full report in the off-shore west central fishing section Tuesday morning:

Now, let's talk about sausage, not just sausage, but really good sausage. 
    I prefer to target BIG Florida trophy boars:

For the best whole hog sausage ever it's extremely important to start with a good product.
    Preparation is everything. Our trophy should be butchered and iced down ASAP. This is extremely important. 
    Big boars tend to be a 'little' on the nasty side. 
    NO PROBLEM!  After 2-3 days soaking in a mixture of vinegar, plenty of salt, and ice water, our trophy boar will look like it belongs in the butcher's show case...

I like to add around a pound of hog fat to every 25 pounds of meat. This adds a great deal to the flavor.
    Now, let's discuss seasoning. 
    Someone mentioned Legg's OLD PLANTATION pork sausage seasoning. Legg's, manufactured in Calera, Alabama, is a blend of salt, red pepper, sage, sugar, and peppers. An 8 ounce package seasons 25 pounds of meat. 
    To this I add, to taste, 5th season crushed red pepper along with garlic & onion powder. Mix thoroughly, and grind to taste. Personally I prefer a coarse grind. 

Now, the best part... Talk about a great breakfast.
    But there is a really BIG problem.  Will it be Canada's Best over hot pan cakes:

Or...

Only one solution... More testing needed:

On the rarest of occasions, some wild boar whole hog sausage may be left over. Vacuum sealed, we can enjoy 'the best breakfast ever' for months to come. 

ENJOY!!!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,921 AG
    Looks good except for the EH! syrup..

Put some local cane syrup on that and it'll be fitting to eat.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 340 Deckhand
    Thank you for posting. 
    Thank you sir...  It's an honor to share with you.

"Put some local cane syrup on that and it'll be fitting to eat."       I will buy that!