Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rookie, lots of questions

Hello I'm new to Florida and I have limited fishing experience - most of it in the lakes of the Midwest.

My dad is coming to visit and says he would like to go shore fishing. He has limited mobility so I'm going to try to find a place with a nice smooth dock or something.

Anyway as I said I'm new to Florida and I have no idea how to fish here. What kind of rod what kind of reel what kind of lure what kind of bait? What might I catch what can I keep what can I eat?

I'm at a complete loss and I'm wondering  if someone might be willing to take me under their wing and give me a little advice so that I can take my dad fishing and make sure that he is legal, safe, and has fun :-)

thank you!

Replies

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 656 Officer
    What area/city are you in? Might help narrow down what advice to give.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,869 Moderator
    Profile says Ruskin.  I'd go to the Skyway piers with a 20# spinning outfit. 
  • elkyholicelkyholic Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Ditto  skyway pier
  • CherylKCherylK RuskinPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Yes, Ruskin. There are 2 little parks here with easy access for his scooter. 
    What type of rod and reel should I buy?
    what kind of bait?

• Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    There are a couple good bait/tackle shops in Ruskin. I am sure if you tell them your plan they can set you up with a good spinning reel combo that won't break the bank. If you choose to go to the Skyway piers you would be surprised at how nice folks can be on giving advice. There is also bait there as well. Good luck!
  • CherylKCherylK RuskinPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Eric B said:
    There are a couple good bait/tackle shops in Ruskin. I am sure if you tell them your plan they can set you up with a good spinning reel combo that won't break the bank. If you choose to go to the Skyway piers you would be surprised at how nice folks can be on giving advice. There is also bait there as well. Good luck!
    Actually I stopped in at one of those shops and was ignored/blown off.  I tried to get out on the skyway pier, thinking I could chat with someone but they charge admission, and after my experience at the bait shop decided not to pay for another brush off.  I guess this weekend I'll go to the AB Preserve and see if anyone is willing to give me advice on gear, etc.
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear that. I just PM'd you with some info
  • BfiBfi Posts: 109 Deckhand
    CherylK said:
    Hello I'm new to Florida and I have limited fishing experience - most of it in the lakes of the Midwest.

My dad is coming to visit and says he would like to go shore fishing. He has limited mobility so I'm going to try to find a place with a nice smooth dock or something.

Anyway as I said I'm new to Florida and I have no idea how to fish here. What kind of rod what kind of reel what kind of lure what kind of bait? What might I catch what can I keep what can I eat?

I'm at a complete loss and I'm wondering  if someone might be willing to take me under their wing and give me a little advice so that I can take my dad fishing and make sure that he is legal, safe, and has fun :-)

thank you!
    One other option in your area is renting a kayak or round about boat from Marty Zoffinger. He is a YouTube fisherman and opened a place in Ruskin where he rents them from pretty cheap. I have rented there and it's pretty good fishing. 55 bucks for eight hours in a double round about boat with a trolling motor. I believe he aslo has rods and reels you can rent for a few bucks so you could try it out and see what you like before you buy. Just a thought
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 420 Deckhand
    I would go to the skyway.

As far as rods, i have used 11' surf rods down to a 5' ultra light.  And to tell the truth, i had the most fun with the ultra light.  It is the rod i used for crappie and bluegill back in Ohio.

It has 10lb braided line.  I used a small size 6 Owner mosquito hook, about 20" of 15lb flourocarbon leader, swivel and 1/2 oz. Egg sinker.  For bait i used little chunks of squid.  

Not much else was biting, but i had tons of fun catching grunts and pinfish.

Of course being saltwater you never know what might grab it.  

Since youre new to the game that is how I would do it.  You will catch fish and have fun.  A bucket of live shrimp would lead to frustration because you would probably lose ten shrimp for every one fish you hook.  Squid will stay on the hook much longer.

The current is another thing.  Doing what I described above I like to be on which everside of the pier that the current takes my line under the pier.  Fish near the pilings too, but not so close that you get stuck in the rocks or the barnacles cut your line.

There are a ton of variables and possibilities.  You would have to spend hundreds or a few thousand dollars to be equiped for all scenarios.  It would be a bit of a drive for you, but the guys at Dogfish Tackle over here on Park are super cool and very willing to help.  It is a really nice store.

Keep it simple and you will have fun.
  • BottomFedBottomFed Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Skyway with a credit card should work.