Travel Rod Suggestions

BowlboundgmanBowlboundgman Posts: 10 Greenhorn
Thanks in advance for the help. 
Background- I have a Spinfisher V 4500, A Penn Fierce 2500. Reel and  I just Purchased a Spinfisher V 3500. I have an LL Bean 4 pc Travel Rod 7' 10-20 LBS and a 6 1/2' Ugly Stick 4 pc.  I bought the LL Bean due to the lifetime warranty a few year ago, but they do not honor or offer the warranty any more.  I usually fish inshore/bridges  with the family and sometimes rent a boat. Manily snappers but hope to get something bigger if the opportunity presents. 
Question . I am thinking about buying the Okuma Nomad but wanted to know how much better is it than the Ugly Stick 4pcs? The Nomad is 4 times the price. Or do you have better suggestions for rods? 
Thanks

Replies

• Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    What’s the budget? Man the only travel rod I have is a St Croix. Don’t fish with them too much unless I’m flying somewhere. But I like the St. Croix. Great action and still decent backbone to fight. Check em out

Mike
    About the Okuma. I’ve never fished there salt water rods but bass fish a lot with there brand and I like them. Light and extremely balanced. 

Mike
  • BowlboundgmanBowlboundgman Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    My budget is 100-150 for a rod. I am wondering just how much better a 3pc rod like the Nomad is than a 4 pc ugly stick? 
    Idk man, I couldn’t answer that. To me a travel rod is a travel rod.  Do you only fish with travel rods? I only use travel rods if I’m flying some where. I’d much rather fish a regular rod.
    The travel rod I do like is the St Croix. I have the 7 foot. I believe it was 160 and splits into three. but don’t quote me.
    I know for some crappy travel Rods you have to push the **** thing in like every other cast to make sure your not throwing a piece out into the blue.
    For my regular setups all I fish are crowder rods. Inshore or offshore. You can not buy a better rod for the money and you can’t beat the warranty. but maybe because of your vehicle or situation travel rods are better for you. 
    Anyways hope you slay some fish with whatever you get! 
    Idk man, I couldn’t answer that. To me a travel rod is a travel rod.  Do you only fish with travel rods? I only use travel rods if I’m flying some where. I’d much rather fish a regular rod.
    The travel rod I do like is the St Croix. I have the 7 foot. I believe it was 160 and splits into three. but don’t quote me.
    I know for some crappy travel Rods you have to push the **** thing in like every other cast to make sure your not throwing a piece out into the blue.
    For my regular setups all I fish are crowder rods. Inshore or offshore. You can not buy a better rod for the money and you can’t beat the warranty. but maybe because of your vehicle or situation travel rods are better for you. 
    Anyways hope you slay some fish with whatever you get! 
    Thanks. I need a travel rod for the plane. I fly down a few times a year. Thanks again 
    Last Question about the a travel Rod I am now between the inshore okuma Nomad  medium/med light and the medium/medium heavy. I have a spinfisher 3500, 4500 and a fierce 5000. I will be fishing from the bridges and shore. occasional boat fishing,. 
  • Billfish3Billfish3 Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Hi,
    Travel rods vary a lot in terms of action and ratings and sensitivity. I have many and was pleased with the nomad. Seems to run true to ratings. Also check out chark baits rods. Bass pro ocean master are excellent but their heaviest may be a little light if you are fishing for larger than snapper. Just got a couple of tfo which look sweet but haven't fished them yet. Also might be a little light for you. Check the saltiga line. That may be just right. I heard they are strong and relatively unbreakable. Tsunami may be another good choice for you. Bill